Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

HL Compact - Is it possible for installing super treble (after-market upgrade)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL Compact - Is it possible for installing super treble (after-market upgrade)

Dear all,

My friend is using HL Compact speaker, the question is that is it possible to install super treble for it, such as ST-50, is there some improvement or some disadvantage with it? because he has auditioned my SHL5 and he want to improve his HL Compact.
    Thank you for your kind support,
    Best regards,

{Moderator's comment: what is "super treble" "ST-50". Never heard of such a thing.}

supertweeters...

Originally posted by nong-dan View Post

{Moderator's comment: what is "super treble" "ST-50". Never heard of such a thing.}
    think it is the Tannoy super-tweeter. A pair might come close to 1K USD. Imo, there is not much energy up in the treble, and to claim that it can augment up to 54kHz (when CD frequency response is cut off) seems a bit of a waste.

i'd tend a liking towards overall speaker balance. its the magic which comes with good designer judgement. a supertweeter by itself means nothing.

Comment

Want SHL5 sound? Then buy SHL5!

Hi Nong-Dan,

Things are not as simple as it may seem. You don't just add a Super Tweeter (ST-50 Tannoy ?) to a compact in the hope that it will sound like SHL-5. I have heard numerous spks with add on super tweeters & there are often issues pertaining to coherence of overall presentation.

In my opinion, if your friend wants to have the SHL-5 sound, the only way is to buy a pair of SHL-5. If the room is not able to accomodate SHL-5, then he should be looking at the C7ES3. Much as the original Compact is still good, but the latest offerings from Harbeths are much better. The highs from the SHL-5 sound like a natural extension from the midrange & not separated from the rest of the range as what one gets from add on tweeters.

Comment

Super-tweeter and noting to benefit overall?

Dear Kittykat & Gan CK,
        Thank you for your comments, in my opinoin i think that if we arrange super tweeter St-50 Tannoy, it will not be affected much more treble improvement, and may be
        more complicate, so i will advise him to replace other modern of Herbeth is best way,
        Thanks again!

Comment

Magic of the RADIAL woofer

Replacing the compacts with the SHL5 will gain him much more than only a supertweeter. He will be able to hear the 'magic' of the Radial woofer, which surely has the most impact on the complete sound.

Comment

Working...
          X