Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Will new SHL5s eliminate harsh/bright recordings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corners

Thank goodness for that [huge grin]..... Most of my SHL5 listening has actually been with the speaker closer to walls and corners than absolutely ideal, and my positive vibes about them still remain

{Moderator's comment: please remember that there are NO hard and fast rules about speaker placement because every room is different. Do not be to worried about this.}

Comment

Minimum stand height?

Hi,

Just one question to you good SHL5 owners... With my pair the dealer brought round a set of stands. They look pretty solid, but they are only about 10" high and they aren't adjustable. Is there a recommended height the speaker should be?
      Cheers.

Comment

Ideally listen on main tweeter axis

Originally posted by Maccar View Post
        Hi,
        Well I demoed the SHL5's yesterday and still have them... enough said!

I've owned both ProAc and ATC, both of which I've enjoyed for different reasons, but always felt there was something lacking in both makes and often thought if I could find a speaker somewhere between the two, they would be right for me.

The Harbeth definitely falls into that category. They retain the detail without harshness, with beautiful mids and with plenty of base without ever getting boomy.

You can probably buy other speakers that do better in some areas, but none so balanced as Harbeth.
        Hi Maccar,

Glad that the SHL-5 demo turned out to so positive for you. With regards to stands, as long as the main tweeter is raised up to approximately the listener's ear level, then that should suffice.

Comment

Move up and down and judge best height

That is a bit low unless your seat is very low to the ground. Ideally, you want the main tweeter at ear level. If you move up and down in the seat, you can judge the effect yourself.

Also, IMO, the best stands are light, open frames. Not fat and heavy.

Comment

Working...
          X