Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

CD Player for Super HL5 - suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS audio

The PS Audio device certainly has a lot going for it, very versatile as well with the ability to play several kinds of files from WAV, FLAC and AIFF. I think it was reviewed in HFN/RR in August 09?

Comment

Sugden Masterclass

Originally posted by Maccar View Post
      Well, I believe my search is nearly at an end. Having tried heavyweights such as Wadia, Krell and Audio Research I'm currently demoing an Electrocompaniet EMC1UP and without doubt it's the best I've heard... goes superbly with the Sugden and Harbeth combo.

I will be trying the Masterclass CDP next week, but I will be amazed if it's any better than the EMC1UP.
      Cheers
      Mac
      Hi Maccar, how did you find the Sugden Masterclass? Did you hear the PDT-4 or the new PDT4 Fusion?

Comment

Masterclass?

I'm not sure they still do the 'Masterclass' player as it's not on their price list.

I've done the Fusion against Rega Saturn dem and would suggest you get down to your nearest Rega dealer.

Comment

CD player suggestions

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
          I'm not sure they still do the 'Masterclass' player as it's not on their price list. I've done the Fusion against Rega Saturn dem and would suggest you get down to your nearest Rega dealer.
          Dave,
          The Fusion is an interim player Sugden brought in before releasing the latest Masterclass model, the PDT-4F. I have heard both these players and the Fusion was poor and yes, the Saturn would knock spots off it.

The PDt4-F is an excellent player, but as I thought not quite a match for the EMC1UP. It just lacked the depth and richness, but sweet in detail and ordinarily a great match for the IA-4 amp and SHL5's.

Comment

Sweet CD

The Electrompaniet EMC-1UP is most definitely one of the finest CD-players you can buy, very composed, sweet and 3D.

Comment

Super CD player suggestions

Maccar,

I do agree with you about how great the EMC1UP is. I have tried it and love it very much. It was my number one until I met the Symphonic Line "Vibrato" (which is less expensive compare to the EMC1UP). It is hard to explain how better it is. Just want to tell you it is worth to try it. The equivalent model with EMC1UP in term of price is the "Der CD" which is even more fabulous.

Comment

Exotic players

Originally posted by sriracha View Post
                Maccar,

I do agree with you about how great the EMC1UP is. I have tried it and love it very much. It was my number one until I met the Symphonic Line "Vibrato" (which is less expensive compare to the EMC1UP). It is hard to explain how better it is. Just want to tell you it is worth to try it. The equivalent model with EMC1UP in term of price is the "Der CD" which is even more fabulous.
                Hi,
                I'm not familiar with that brand... do you know of any UK dealers. It's doubtful if I will change the EMC1UP until such time it breaks down, but would be interested to read more on a player that may best the Electrocompaniet.
                Cheers
                Mac

Comment

Emc-1up

Originally posted by garmtz View Post
                  The Electrompaniet EMC-1UP is most definitely one of the finest CD-players you can buy, very composed, sweet and 3D.
                  True! I owned for the EMC-1up for 7 year, I replaced it with EMP-1/S.

Comment

Dealer

Maccar,

I live in Thailand so I don't know exactly where the dealer in UK is. But as I look in Google you can try "www.acousticperfection.co.uk". For sure, the main dealer who you can talk to is in Germany, High-End Studios, "www.e-shop.highendstudios.de". Fortunately, the High-End Studios is also the Electrocompaniet's dealer so you can ask specific questions concerning this two brands. The shop's owner is Mr. Rolf Gemein. Hope this can help you.

Comment

Teac pd-h600

l use a TEAC PD-H600 and for the money sounds really, really good.

Comment

Parasound

I use a Parasound cd-player, CDP 1000 and a Parasound DAC 2000 Ultra, both excellent! I have used them since the 90's, and they still sound great, especially with my C 7's!

Comment

Can you beat a turntable?

Originally posted by Maccar View Post
                          Hi all,

Had my Supers for a few months now and absolutely delighted with them.

My next mission is to find the best disc spinner to compliment these wonderful speakers.
                          I've tried Krell Evo 505 and Esoteric DV60, but not for me. I've also tried a Wadia 381 which was very impressive, but a little out of my budget at the moment.

I've now been offered an Audio Research CD5 at a very good price... If any of you have experience with these players, or just have an opinion which player would work best, all comments would be most welcome.

For reference my current set up is Sugden Masterclass IA-4 amp, Naim CDX2 CDP, Siltech Paris i.c and of course the SHL5.
                          Cheers
                          Mac
                          To my opinion the best CD for SHL 5 is TURNTABLE!!
                          On the other hand, if you do not have LPs, than the best and the cheapest solution is PC+Synology disk server+Behringer ultramacht 2496 DAC. As "player" I use Foobar2000 and format flac or waw.

Pc you probably already have, Behringer is around 140, Synology about 300 (depends of model). The other , for some people the best solution is, Squeezbox touch and music on SD and power supply with bateries!! Try, youll be surprised!!

Yet, for me Kuzmas Turntable Stabi II with Stogi reference arm and Micro Benz open air is winning combination ( OK, Benz LP would be even better)

Comment

Audionet Art G2 +EPS

I have been using an Audionet Art G2 for 2 years and since sooner this evening its additional PSU (EPS). They are keepers, just the way my SHL5 are too.

Comment

Designing electronics - the designer doesn't have afree hand....

This is the place if you want 100 opinions. The fact is that the differences are far smaller than moving your speakers around by a few cms.. There just are not the levers and switches in electrronic design to make cast differences in sound. With mechanical systems (like speakers, cartridges) there are an infinite array of competing design variables. With electrionics, just a handful and reliability always forces the desgner into a technical corner. Imagine what the iPhone5 could be if it were not manadatory to make the thing superbly reliable in the hands of the average consumer ....

Go and listen at your dealers.
                              Alan A. Shaw
                              Designer, owner
                              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

The importance of the room - it's vitally important

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                                This is the place if you want 100 opinions. The fact is that the differences are far smaller than moving your speakers around by a few cms.. [snip]
                                Goodness, this is so true. I'm auditioning a pair of P3ESRs at the moment. They arrived late a couple of evenings ago and I quickly set them up and put on a favourite piece of piano music and...disappointment! Boxy restricted sound lacking much in foundation. I tried a few other pieces that were better, but I retired to bed feeling rather deflated.

Yesterday evening, I recalled that the dealer had suggested taking care over symmetrical placement in the room. So I fiddled about a bit, put the CD on and this time heard music rather than loudspeakers. Fascinating!

{Moderator's comment: you must have serious room issue there: we've sold thousands upon thousands and never heard such a comment. Glad you solved it anyway.}

Comment

Working...
                                X