Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Super tweeter on SHL5 problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super tweeter on SHL5 problem

I suspect that my super tweeter is having some problem on certain track. sometimes i can hear cracking sound.

how can i diagnose the problem?

Amp clipping?

Could also be the amplifier amlpitude-clipping due to too little power or too loud playing?

Comment

Dirrerent amp?

It could be your amp.Try a different amp. I had a similar problem long time ago with a different brand speakers. I am told something like dirty pots in the amp causing the distortion.

ST

Comment

Crackling?

Does it crack while sitting back and listening, or when you're adjusting the volume?

Comment

Pc?

Do you think you heard the cracking sound from rondom music album or specific album. Also to you listen from pc? some output level can cracking (overload) the input specially obvious in high frequency.
          "Bath with Music"

Comment

One or both?

Originally posted by coredump View Post
            I suspect that my super tweeter is having some problem on certain track. sometimes i can hear cracking sound.

how can i diagnose the problem?
            Is it coming from both speakers or only one?

Comment

Which driver?

- was only playing at volume 9 - 10 O'clock

- need to get a spare amplifier to verify

- dirty pots in the amp ? maybe leave this to the last as I dont want to touch the internal

- it crack while sitting back and listening

- the cracking sound from rondom music album or specific album.

i tried one particular track, and it alway has this cracking sound. i have heard it while on other album but ignore it

- Also to you listen from pc? No only CDP

- coming from only one side of the SHL5

maybe need to swap channel

but i can zoom in to which driver is giving that problem? 20mmtweeter or 25mmsuper-tweeter?

Comment

Swap L&R channels

- Reverse channels. If the crack moves to the other speaker, it is in the recording.

- Check the same fragment on different volume levels. If it stays, it is in the recording.

Comment

Other channel?

Originally posted by garmtz View Post
                  - Reverse channels. If the crack moves to the other speaker, it is in the recording.

- Check the same fragment on different volume levels. If it stays, it is in the recording.
                  will try. Thanks..

Comment

Working...
                  X