Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Harbeth SuperHL5plus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbeth SuperHL5plus

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
    One of the essential skills in business, and in life too, is to know when you are on the edge of your comfort zone, and in particular, when you are beaten. That could mean by a stronger, better resourced rival; it could mean in knowledge and skills; it could mean in arriving too late (or even too early) for the market; it could relate you physical and mental stamina or stage of ones career or life.

Whatever the specifics, a safe-awareness that there are insurmountable and overwhelming hurdles in the way to easy success is an essential skill to ultimately winning the ongoing economic war. If you can take a cold, dispassionate look at your life and your business, and honestly assess the impediments, you are in a far better place to make a great success of the niche with the resources you do have available and working effectively at your command.

So it is with Harbeth. We have always been, and will continue to be exceptionally realistic about our very modest place in the audio world, and the danger of straying from the clear path we have walked. The product line is solid, and yes, there are always 'brush-ups' that new technology in combination with new skills invites, but we are extremely good at what we have done these past 37 years and would like to keep it that way.

Unless I, myself, can devote the time, energy and mental abilities I certainly do not have to radical new products and ventures, those skills will have to be brought-in. That, inevitably, dilutes the intellectual value in the brand, and as long-term brand enhancement is the primary driving factor at Harbeth under my management, it is not a strategy we are likely to embrace. If, however, we chanced across a bright, young engineer familiar with modern techniques in, for example, DSP, and who we could mould as we want, then we'd consider new ventures. But I can count on one hand the number of speculative CVs I've received over the past twenty years or so; it just is not going to happen.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this, Alan.

In the words of Ned Miller, "Do what you do, do well." And Lord knows Harbeth is exceptional at what they do. To venture into unfamiliar territory with the risk of being anything less than exceptional, is too great a risk to take, IMHO.

Munich 2014 - the Brits are on their way!

Well dear readers, by the time you read this I will be on my way to the lovely city of Munich, accompanied by my marketing/PR colleague, Trevor.

As already mentioned, our plans for Munich 2014 were revised a couple of months ago, but what we will be launching has turned out to be serendipitously rather special. That is not to say that it writes-down anything we have brought to market before; we have not reinvented the wheel, and even if we had, we doubt that anyone would believe us. So, our primary objective is to carry forward with us all those satisfied users and Harbeth fans that we have built up over the past 37 years, and to encourage more to step towards our way of doing things. That would be a win-win situation for you and for us.

Most important of all - if you do plan to visit the Munich High End audio show, do come and see us. The high point of any show is meeting and sharing time with end users: you. Yes, we are often busy and if you are short of time and can't return when we might be quieter, at least say 'hello'!

We here at Harbeth UK are delighted with our new iteration, and hope that you will be to. As to assessing the demand from the outset and laying in the production resources to keep the already long lead times under control, that's our challenge. Our experience with the M30 > M30.1 transition showed that it is easy to underestimate demand.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Super HL5 plus

OK! So it's a new SHL-5 in "plus form"
      Please do tell us all about the changes!

Comment

New Harbeth?

Anybody can shed some light on the new product? It's killing me!

Comment

What's new?

Anything on Harbeth's new product? Would love some information.

Comment

Super HL5 plus

New Super HL5 plus revealed in Munich! Follow Harbeth on Twitter. "New harbeth SHL5plus has a RADIAL2 drive unit, totally redesigned crossover - amazing sound"

Comment

Revealed

The wait is over then…

SHL5 - Plus unveiled…

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnvhThBIMAAciW-.jpg

Comment

Plus possible?

Well...this is interesting. So, the question now is, can we the existing super 5 owners get to upgrade to the 'plus' status?

Comment

Respect for Harbeth/from Harbeth

Yes, it is the Super HL5 Plus and to be honest, my gut feeling was correct. I am very excited about this model and I think Mr. Shaw did a wonderful job with respect to this release. I believe that there are [subtle] aspects of this release that have been extremely thought through--particularly when it comes not only to respecting the tradition of Harbeth, but also its loyal customer base.

I own the P3ESRs, but these will be my next pair of Harbeth speakers.

Comment

My dream speaker

Originally posted by Zemlya View Post
                    I own the P3ESRs, but these will be my next pair of Harbeth speakers.
                    Exact same situation here. I'm going to audition and order SHL5 plus as soon as possible. It's my dream loudspeaker

Comment

Super HL5plus at Munich

Comment

At Munich

... if you are in munich, you will be able to audition the SHL5 plus: not at the harbeth stand but in the REL listeming room. i did it. mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
                        Harbeth M40.1-Naim NAC52-Supercap-NAP 135-CDS2-XPS

Comment

In Canada?

I guess I'll have to wait to hear these at my local dealer. Any ideas when Canadian distributers will have these in stock?

Comment

Sources of the succes? - a question.

"The wraps come off a totally re-engineered version of Harbeth’s best selling traditional BBC-style monitor as Super HL5 appears in revamped ‘Plus’ form."

Alan, what are, in your opinion, the main reasons for such a success of this specific model?
                            You also manufacture the other, newer , smaller and bigger models , very well acclaimed by audio press and customers throughout the world ....

Comment

Biwiring in SHL5plus

Alan, does the new SHL5+ retain the "bi-wiring" capability? No loss if it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X