Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Faulty woofer in Super HL-5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty woofer in Super HL-5

My Super HL-5's developed a fault recently. As far as I can tell, the moving coil in woofer is rubbing the magnet and the results in distortion. I changed amplification and cables and the fault remains. Has anyone had this problem?

Re: Faulty woofer in Super HL-5

You can try to rotate the driver 180 degree.
    "Bath with Music"

Comment

If the speakers are still under warranty, don't remove the driver, turn the whole speaker upsidedown.

How old are they?

Comment

Thanks, I tried that. Unfortunately distortion re-appears as soon as I raise the volume a bit.
        One has to wonder about the quality of the craftsmanship involved in making this speaker. It looks like this woofer was assembled badly, lots of glue used in a very untidy fashion. The woofer was also fitted badly and the screws didn't hold it in place in the cabinet which is why it may have been damaged in the first place. I am not impressed!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen PG View Post
          If the speakers are still under warranty, don't remove the driver, turn the whole speaker upsidedown.

How old are they?
          The speaker is over two years old, unfortunately not under warranty )-:

Comment

The best way to handle a matter like this is to contact the dealer from whom you purchased the speakers. Is there a reason that you didn't you register for the free extended warranty via the Harbeth web site? Generally the best way to motivate a supplier to help is to talk to them privately. I think you'll find your dealer helpful and sympathetic.

Once we know the serial numbers and full history of your pair we can suggest the simplest/cheapest solution for you.
            Harbeth PR,
            Harbeth UK

Comment

Originally posted by Sigmund View Post
              My Super HL-5's developed a fault recently. As far as I can tell, the moving coil in woofer is rubbing the magnet and the results in distortion. I changed amplification and cables and the fault remains. Has anyone had this problem?
              I experienced that before on my previous SHL-5. I believe many Harbeth users have experienced that as well. For me, and as Keithwwk mentioned, i just rotated the main driver 180 degrees and all went well for me.

Comment

After-car handling process

The procedure for handling after-care is actually on the web site here and we take the matter very seriously. We have been dissecting the occasional returned drive unit under the video camera for some time now and archive those video recordings.

With vented (ported) systems there is always the additional (small) possibility of dirt particles getting into the magnetic circuit.
                Alan A. Shaw
                Designer, owner
                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Thanks - Harbeth UK have received back the woofer for investigation. As soon as we can get through the snow and over to the Harbeth R&D centre, we'll give it a full videod dissection.

As for the glue, there is nothing at all unusual about the postion or amount of glue used. The joints on the underside -- the critical ones that you don't see - - are rock solid. If there was less glue used the unit would fall apart!
                  Harbeth PR,
                  Harbeth UK

Comment

Working...
                  X