Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

SHL5plus compared to 30.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHL5plus compared to 30.1

I will shortly be a Harbeth user – SHL5plus in rosewood ordered after auditioning alongside 30.1 at home. Some thoughts and observations, all IMHO, and in the context of my listening room.

My listening space is roughly half of a 17.75ft x 10.75ft (5.4 x 3.3 metre) room; speakers 5ft apart on the long wall. Having decided 30.1 performed well in this situation, I felt I also had to listen to SHL5plus. I intended this speaker purchase to be my last.

The SHL5plus is a large speaker for my small space, but Alan has written on HUG that he designs in small spaces. I live alone, so only me to consider the visual impact. On correct sized stands, 30.1 and SHL5plus are similar in height, and I decided I could prefer the additional area of rosewood veneer of the SHL5plus on a shorter stand, to the reduced HWD of the 30.1 on a taller stand. Existing speakers are floorstanders 940x240x270mm, 2-way, 8 inch bass/midrange, designed for close to wall placement.

I started with the 30.1, thinking it likely be the most appropriate size for my room, but found the SHL5plus so good that I had to have it. With both speakers I may have been hearing a bit of bass bloom, but I’m prepared to work with that.

While the qualities of both 30.1 and SHL5plus can be described in similar terms (more similarities than differences), I felt the perceived differences were more marked than I’d expected. In very broad terms, the 30.1 sound is warm; the SHL5plus sound ethereal. It wasn’t simply the same sound but larger scale from a bigger box.

I liked the ‘warmth’ of the 30.1 on classical, jazz, and vocals (all on CD), but found it too warm on speech via BBC FM Radios 3 and 4, the only two stations I listen to (quite a lot). Music on Radio 3 was fine, it was good.

After swapping out the 30.1 for the SHL5plus, I went straight to Radios 3 and 4 and was immediately very taken with a clear, natural, ‘right’ sounding rendition of speech. A quick listen to music on R3 also revealed a ‘quality’ and ‘classy’ presentation, the best I’d ever heard on that station. Then, moving on to the CDs that I’d been playing through the 30.1, I was surprised at the difference - so much so that initially I was concerned I was losing the pleasing warmth and body of the 30.1! That concern was short lived. As I listened further, and checked back with the other two sets of speakers, I soon ‘got’ the attributes of SLH5plus. Others have described it as ‘beautiful’ sounding, a very apt description I feel.

To focus on one quality, from my perspective, I’d pick the way in which the SHL5plus presents orchestral music, with such ease and grace. Quiet passages are easily heard clearly and when the music builds up to louder passages there is a true sense of contrast in loudness and scale. I can more readily imagine being at a live concert. With my existing speakers there could be the urge to increase volume to hear further into a quiet passage at the start of the music, only to find it was too much and uncomfortable when louder passages were reached. With the SHL5plus, even when I intentionally increased the volume beyond the ‘natural level’ for the music, I found the loudness ‘clean’ and more tolerable for longer – but it simply wasn’t necessary to listen that loud.

My amplifier power spec is a claimed 90 watts into 8 ohms. I use attenuated interconnect cables to fully equalise mismatches between CD player/FM tuner outputs and pre-amp input sensitivity. Speaker sensitivities are 85dB, 86dB, and 88dB for 30.1, SHL5plus, and existing speakers respectively, all into 6 ohms. I attempted to check relative sound levels using an SPL meter, by no means a precise method, but I think it at least helped as a guide.

As for my existing speakers, they gave me much enjoyment over the years and I still rate them. However, compared to the Harbeths, there was a sense of something being held back. Music from the Harbeths is freer, easier, more able to draw me in and hold my attention. I’m a real ale fan (no doubt not alone on HUG!) and I’ve discovered brews from some micro-breweries that are like sipping nectar. When these aren’t on tap, a well kept and well served alternative still lets me enjoy my beer, and I don’t feel as though I’m missing out. But, given the choice, I’d rather be sipping the micro brewery nectar (as in listening to music through the SHL5plus).

Cheers.

Thank you for your thoughts and I wish you many happy years listening to your Harbeths.

Comment

I have owned a pair of SHL5+ for a year and recently I acquired a pair of M30.1 that I tested today in the same room which is 26 sqm. I was surprised because the M30.1 have more bass, or it sounds louder, when I expected less. I have to admit I have no golden ears but my impression was that the timbre is the same, the mids are the same, the bass is more boomy in the M30.1 and more real in the SHL5+ and the SHL5+ are more resonant. So all in all I guess I prefer the SHL5+ but the difference was very little for me, at least listening to Queen, Dire Straits and Michael Jackson.

Comment

I have uploaded a sound comparison between both models to youtube. The sound is poor but perhaps you can get an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4p...re=em-comments

Comment

Working...
        X