Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth older and discontinued models:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please recomend a amplifier for me

Originally posted by juncool
    ... am I right?
    It is not possible to accurately answer your question. You have to think about total system synergy - that means the music, the room, the speakers, the CD player, the cables the amp and your tastes and expectations.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Re: Harbeth NRG 4

Hi,Alan
      My listenning space is about 35m2, and my CD player is rega planet, I like classical music and some old songs

Comment

Re: Harbeth old models:

Hi A.S

My Harbeth Monitor HL MK.III is having some problem. There is a lot of yellow colour powder falling down from its tweeter's soft dome (Audax HD 12x9 D 25). The sound is still perfect, but I do not know how to deal with this problem. Can you guide me how to treat this Audax tweeter, or what replacement for this tweeter should I buy?

Thank you very much
        Truong
        Harbeth Fan in Vietnam

Comment

Replacements for Audax tweeters?

Hello,

I am really sorry to say that the Audax tweeter has been out of production for many years now and the Harbeth Mk3 ceased production about 25 years ago. The spares situation is detailed here: http://www.harbeth.co.uk/sales/servi...ares/index.php

In your situation I would not attempt to make any changes to the tweeter until it completely fails. After then, I guess that you could fit any 25mm soft dome unit. Please note that on the Audax magnet there is a black sticker: that is the cold or negative terminal. There may be red paint on the other, hot or positive terminal.

If you do replace the tweeter please be sure that you connect the new tweeter the same way. Ignore the colours of the wires used - just solder whatever colour is connected to the Audax red terminal to the new tweeter's red terminal.
          Alan A. Shaw
          Designer, owner
          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

It is perhaps worth noting that the Audax 12x9 tweeters had a unique mounting plate, one not shared by any tweeter in current production, and that NOS spares of that tweeter are extremely hard to come by. That line of tweeters was discontinued even before Harman bought the Audax company IIRC. Harman later dissolved the company and discontinued all products.

However, some Audax models are becoming available again after what amounts to a private buy-out of the rights to the Audax name and drivers. This may mean that 12x9 tweeters may also become available again (then again, it may not).

Alan's advice to do nothing so long as the tweeter works is spot on, therefore. If a tweeter does fail in a couple of years, maybe the spares situation will have improved.

Comment

Thank you for your advice

Hope that my tweeter will last for long time. I have searched Audax forum (http://www.audax.fr/forum/read_mess.php3?id=29864) and some people said that the Monacor DT250 or DT100 can be considered. Besides, the Audax TW025 A0 can be a good replacement too.

Comment

Re: Harbeth NRG 4 specific

Greetings to all (Hello Alan after some years).

I hope my maiden post on this forum isn't inappropriate, but is the NRG series available in the UK?

The UK audio scene has changed so much in the few years I've been away (as have I...). It seems that very few people like or seem to want a good sounding audio system at home these days, let alone pay a fair price for one.

Having only recently stumbled on the NRG series site I was keen to hear what a more domestically acceptable speaker (in smaller UK homes like mine) would sound like given experienced designers who want far more than the "boom-tizz flash-box" that still dominates the lower end speaker market.

To close, I'm really pleased that Harbeth has stayed true to the philosophy started by Dudley Harwood (a dear gent whom I had the pleasure to meet in the early days) and that you seem to be thriving on it.

Comment

Re: Harbeth NRG 4 specific

Hello David,

Good to hear from you again and welcome.

I, like you, had an opinion that "few people [in the UK] like or seem to want a good sounding audio system ...." but I have been astonished how things have changed around in this our 30th year. The sales stats. show that our sales in the UK this year are nearly ten times what they were last year - admittedly not as big as many overseas markets for us but nevertheless that proves two points. A, that there really are people who care and are willing to pay for great British audio and B, that the effort we've directed at Promotion this year really has been worthwhile. Needless to say, PR will continue and increase not only in the English language.

As for NRG - we have stocks of many of the piece parts but a small organisation like Harbeth really has to focus its efforts. The HL and Monitor series sell themselves; the RADIAL cone audibly (and technically) differentiates these traditional models from everything else on the market. NRG is great product (I use them for my own TV system at home) but needs much more Promotion in a crowded AV market than we can muster at this time. We'll return to the NRG market sector when we have more physical space, that being the limiting factor on our growth.

I would add David - and you'll appreciate the comment as an ex hi-fi retailer yourself - that Andy, Anne and I micro-manage Harbeth for the long term. That means lowest possible operating costs and low 'drag' holding back the business. That gives us the freedom to move at our own pace, maintain a consistently high standard of production and above all to adhere to our original ethos without accountants/investors/consultants etc. pulling us this way and that to chase illusory markets.
                  Alan A. Shaw
                  Designer, owner
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Info on Harbeth S8?

Does anyone have any information on Harbeth Model HL-S8? It's a floorstander that I saw advertised for sale.

Thanks.

Comment

Could anyone give me information on model Hl K6
                      it is for sale in the Netherlands. The seller says it is the forerunner of the monitor 30. Does it have a radial driver?

With kind regards

Martin Buninga

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Buninga View Post
                        Could anyone give me information on model Hl K6
                        it is for sale in the Netherlands. The seller says it is the forerunner of the monitor 30. Does it have a radial driver?

With kind regards

Martin Buninga
                        No the K6 is not the forerunner of the M30 though they are physically similar. The K6 in fact sits in between the C7 & P3. It is a marriage of the C7's Radial woofer & P3's 19mm aluminium dome tweeter in a slightly smaller cabinet than C7. Sound is typically Harbeth. Smooth, musical, involving, sweet & above all tonally/timbre correct. Perhaps the other similarity of the K6 & M30 is that both have their Radial woofer mounted from inside the baffle, just like the mighty M40.1.

Comment

Hello Gan CK, Thanks for the very useful and quick reply!

Martin Buninga

Comment

Hello Gan CK, Thanks for the very useful and quick reply!

Martin Buninga
                            You are most welcome. Listen to a pair of Harbeths & you will come to understand why Harbeth users around the globe stay so devoted to their spks year after year.

Comment

Hi Gan CK

I must confess I already do listen to Harbeth M40 in a sort of music room. I think about buying the HL-K6 for our living room.
                              You can guess I am quite addicted to the natural Harbeth sound!

Comment

Hi Gan CK

I must confess I already do listen to Harbeth M40 in a sort of music room. I think about buying the HL-K6 for our living room.
                                You can guess I am quite addicted to the natural Harbeth sound!
                                Hi Martin, yeah its very easy to get addicted to the Harbeth sound cos its so natural, smooth, sweet & musical. And once the Harbeth sound gets under your skin, then no other spks will satisfy you.

Comment

Working...
                                X