Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth older and discontinued models:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbeth older and discontinued models:

This thread covers specifically relates to older models such as original HL Compact etc. etc.
    Last edited by A.S.; 24-03-2007, 03:07 PM.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Advice amplifier for Compact 7SE2

Hi,

Have you heard something about acoustic reality amplifiers? Do you think they will match the compacts?

Now that I've found the speakers I want, I'm willing to spend about 1000? to get a decent amplifier.

Recently I'm hearing a lot about digital and pro amplifiers. Would you stick to more "traditional" hi-fi equipment or rather go digital or pro with that budget?

Thanks for your advice.

Nacho

Comment

Will the Compact 7's work well in this room? (long)

Please excuse the length and complexity of this post, but there is no dealer within hundreds of miles of me. Thus, I am unable to audition Harbeths. Here goes ...

Will Compact 7's behave in my smallish loft room? Will they overwhelm?

The room in question is my main listening room and is 12 feet wide and 18 feet long.

Regarding height, the ceiling is arched: 7 feet high at maximum, dropping to 5 feet at minimum.

At one end (the end behind me) the room morphs into 3 sections: hallway, bookcase and down staircase.

The construction is plaster on brick; floor is wooden boards. The room is on the "hard" side, though there is a small carpet, large recliner, and bookcases.

The speakers are based relative to the width of the room (across the short side), but well to the fore (5 feet) of the rear wall. Each speaker is almost 3 feet in from the long sidewalls.

The speakers and I form roughly an equilateral triangle (6 feet sides) pretty much in the middle of the room.

Currently, a vintage Marantz 2270 receiver powers a pair of Spendor 3/5's on 26-inch stands.

I am pleased with the resulting civilised sound, but would prefer a fuller, broader sound … a little more bass, some smack.

Like many listeners, I do not want to be overwhelmed. I do not appreciate a harsh high end or floppy (boomy) low end.

My musical tastes are wide. I listen to a lot of FM radio; a lot of speech. I do not crank the volume.

I have my doubts that a larger speaker will work in the room because a few months ago I tried Spendor 3/1P's in this room and although there was much to like, there was too much going on ... bouncing sound waves ... Sorry I don't know the correct term. The 3/1P's worked well in a larger room in my house.

The 3/5's, on the other hand, are reserved and behave themselves in the room in question ... They seem to complement the room well.

It may be important to point out that the Compact 7's are even larger than the 3/1P's ... 45 L for each 3/1P compared to 25 L for each Compact 7!!

(Is the size of a speaker always an accurate predictor of how well it will behave in a particular room?)

The Harbeth is front-ported; the 3/1P is rear-ported ... Implications?

So, to the questions:

1. Will the Compact 7's like this room?

2. Am I right in thinking that because the Spendor 3/5's work well in a room, the Harbeth HL-P3ES-2's should work well in the same room?

(In fairness to the Spendor 3/5's, I don't intend to sell them, but will move them to a bookcase in another room where I shall listen occasionally.)

All responses welcome, especially yours Alan.

Thank you for your patience.

John

(I have double posted this letter: Harbeth Hi-Fi Speakers > HL Compact 7ES AND Choosing and Comparing > Will the Compact 7’s Behave Well in this room?

I resisted the temptation to post in a third thread (The Listening Room).

Alan: By all means delete the less desirable location if you wish.

Comment

Naim

Naim and Harbeth are a marriage made in heaven. Look into the Nait 5i.

Comment

Harbeth old models:

Information on discontinued models ....
          Last edited by A.S.; 16-02-2007, 09:34 PM.

Comment

>>>> Legacy models: Mk1/Mk2/Mk3/Mk4 etc.

Hello,
            they are enrolled to me and I write from Italy. I have bought of Harbeth H.L. Monitor Mk3 BBC Monitor used in Germany. Someone knows if they are of the loudspeakers custom for the BBC or, was put regularly in sale? Which are their technical characteristics? Exists the possibility to unload one brochure? Sorry for my bad english.

Arrow68

P.S. how I can insert of the photos in order to make to see them you?

Comment

Harbeth Mk3 - or not?

Originally posted by Arrow68
              ... I have bought of Harbeth H.L. Monitor Mk3 BBC Monitor used in Germany. Someone knows if they are of the loudspeakers custom ...
              You should be able to Manage Attachment to link to a picture file. It must be JPG and max size 175 x 175 pixels.

You have to be a bit careful about the so-called Harbeth monitors from Germany. About 20 years ago we supplied polypropylene drive units (actually made for Harbeth by Rogers) to a company making kit speakers in Germany. We discovered that they were marketing these under the Harbeth brand name without our authority. They were tower systems, and bear no relationship to the 'classic BBC thin wall boxes' from Harbeth UK. One of the drive units we supplied was named (and marked) the LF8 Mk3, but Harbeth UK had also made a complete speaker system known as the HL Monitor Mk3 - see the potential for confusion?

The matter was settled via lawyers and Harbeth ceased to supply the outlet in Germany who apparently sourced a similar 8" driver somewhere in Europe. We understand that the brand was reinvented as "Harwood" in Germany, but again, we have no connection with that brand either. I have no more information than that.
              Alan A. Shaw
              Designer, owner
              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Re: Harbeth Mk3 - or not?

Thanks for the answer. My speakers is two units. The l.f. is 8" polypropylene unit driver and h.f. is Audax 25,4 mm diameter driver. Their dimension are 635mm x 300mm x 300mm and certaenly it's not e tower but a simple monitor speaker. I tried
                several times to insert photographs but i can't setup my user cp to be able to do it.
                My hope is to have bought a good speaker original Herbeth and not a clone.Best Regards.

Arrow68

Comment

Re: Harbeth Mk3 - or not?

...My hope is to have bought a good speaker original Harbeth and not a clone.
                  OK I hunted for some info for you: all I have to hand is the original Mk1 (also called the HL Monitor because we didn't visualise a Mk2, Mk3 ...) which you can now find in the spares matrix here: http://www.harbeth.co.uk/sales/servi...ares/index.php

Please remember --- there are *NO* spares available for these 25+ year old speakers.
                  Alan A. Shaw
                  Designer, owner
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Re: Help me.... Thanks

Thank very much.
                    Listeng at about 2,5mt,which is the right height of the loudspeaker's stand?
                    Best Regards.

Arrow68

Comment

...which is the right height of the loudspeaker's stand?
                      I would say the most suitable stands are those that put the tweeter approx. level with your ear. It depends a) how tall you are and b) how high your chair is!
                      Alan A. Shaw
                      Designer, owner
                      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Originally posted by A.S.
                        I would say the most suitable stands are those that put the tweeter approx. level with your ear. It depends a) how tall you are and b) how high your chair is!

Thank you.

Arrow68

Comment

Harbeth Older Models (all)

This thread concerns older, discontinued models.
                          Alan A. Shaw
                          Designer, owner
                          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Re: Harbeth old models:

Hi, as I wrote in another post, I will probably buy a pair of Monitor 30s; I've read somewhere about a "25th adniversary" edition of those speakers.
                            What about such edition ? Is it still on sale ? What are the differences between them and the "common" M30s ?
                            Thank you vey much
                            daniele

Comment

help on harbeth compact 7 please!!

I currently own harbeth,HL Compact No.7 speaker bought in 1994. My
                              > question is that,
                              > 1)what amplifier, cd player, wires would be fit for my speaker?
                              > 2) the price of your reconmmended equipments? and
                              > 3)finally, is Sugden good with the speaker i have?
                              >
                              >> thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X