Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

My new old Mk4 Harbeths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new old Mk4 Harbeths

Recently joined the user group and this morning had delivery of my first pair of Harbeths. These are HL1-Mk4 from just after Alan Shaw took over and come with the original certificate and manual which I can post picture of later. Interestingly they come with Harbeth badged tripod stands about 45cm high. First impressions are in short wow, they work brilliantly at low levels even with less than ideal placement as I need to have a bit of a move around of furniture. They are in amazing condition especially for their age and the only obvious change is the bass unit was replaced early on with one with a slightly different finish to the basket edge.

I will drop support a message just to see exactly when S/N 4080a and b where made.

Some quick iPhone pictures below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1078.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	65720

Name:	IMG_1080.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	65722

Name:	IMG_1077.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	65723

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	65721

My Mk4 owners information

As promised a copy of the original manual and certificate and hopefully of historical interest to someone.

Name:	IMG_1081.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	62906

Name:	IMG_1082.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	62907

Name:	IMG_1083.jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	62908

Name:	certificate 2sc.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	62909

Comment

Nice on stands

Very nice looking pair. Beautiful on these stands. Enjoy them!
      Harbeth M30

Comment

An investment

Ah, lovely

Hope you have many years of great music with them.

Comment

Superb condition

Hi Flapland,

Nice to see that you have such a well kept Mk4. This was the very model that kick started my love affair with Harbeth from 1987 till today! Enjoy them to the max. Wish I could have a pair in this condition too.

Comment

Down memory lane for me ...

I completely assembled that pair myself around about 1987, and it's a treat to see that they are working 27 years on. During that time, the children have grown up and gone, so this little piece of memorabilia takes me back to the age of abut 30.

I hope that I can find the log book covering that pair. I don't recall ever being asked for information on such an early Harbeth of my era.

We recently found some photos from that time, and it's just possible that you pair was photographed amongst others, but I doubt that the serial numbers are clearly readable. I'll see what I can find.
            Alan A. Shaw
            Designer, owner
            Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Thanks to all!

Thanks all for the nice words especially Alan for building them for me and I suspect a few others in the first place. I do know from the shipping label on the original box they went to a dealer in Bath in 87. I am also really interested in hearing if Alan can find some more details. The last owner is a happy owner of HL-K6's amongst a whole range of other kit so he certainly hasn't given up the Harbeth cause.

What I am loving now I have had chance to have a good listen is how much more I can hear into the mix of well recorded rock and indy music and that there is no lower mid or bass bloat. I was worried about that in my 4m wide 4.5m long and 2,8m high room. I am using a rebuilt Quad 405 as the power amp and an AN M2 Signature as the pre.

Comment

Mk4 memory lane

Well, some good news about HL Mk4 s/n 4080 a/b.

The bass units are type 6.25, the tweeter 5.25 (marked in pen on the back), they were assembled by "BRS" (sorry, I can't recall who that was) and I tested them. They are indeed walnut and they were sold to 'Paul Green HiFi' (I don't recall that dealer) and they were made in February 1987 - that's 27 years ago. They were made in my first post-Harwood premises, and here are a couple of pictures taken +/- 3 months of the time yours were made.

I'm delighted that they're still working. Sadly, my father in law pictured with me, as I recall observing with pride the first shipment I'd produced and on its way to Japan (Dec. 86), passed away some ten years ago. Harbeth has come a long, long way since then.

Anyway, here are three pictures I have in the archive taken within a maximum of weeks or months of your Mk4 being made. One of my great regrets is that I did not appreciate the importance of taking and keeping photographs (35mm in those days) and there are almost none until about 10 years ago, well into the digital era. A pity, but we've made up for that with not only stills, but video of development work. Boring to watch, but maybe one day of curiosity value. I'm fairly sure I know where the 35mm original is (in one of our scrapbooks, full of press cuttings over the years) and if I can find it, I'll see if the serial number of the carton I'm holding is readable.

Hope that's of interest to someone; it took me a long way back.

>
                Attached Files
                Alan A. Shaw
                Designer, owner
                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Continuing the dream

Hi Alan,

Your records keeping is amazing, you could have got a job at the National Archive Kew if Harbeth hadn't had worked out. Now of course it did and its a pleasure to remind you of those early days and the pride you and your father in law had when you shipped the first lot to Japan. I suspect that lot would make good money if sold in Japan as they like their vintage audio.

Although digital photography has brought a great deal and I certainly wish I had a digital camera in my younger days it does have its negatives. I can't imagine seeing Ian Dury live back then behind a wall of Smartphones or Tablets, mind I suspect he would have told us where to go if we had.

Now comes the challenge of not wanting to try 2014 kit out, I have some back pay from a delayed pay deal coming soon and that could well burn a big hole.

Comment

Spares?

I meant to ask what do bass units are type 6.25, the tweeter 5.25 equate to in Audax number in case I ever need to replace either. I know Harbeth don't have spares and I suspect the bass unit are long gone but I think I have similar or the same tweeter units.

Also did you happen to buy the bitumen type damping pads from a company called Packaging Products in Manchester. If so I will ask my dad about them as he worked for them for 40 plus years and knows their products inside out.

Comment

Spares availability?

Hi

I am a newbie of Harbeth.

Recently I acquired a pair of HL MK4, and when I listened to them, I felt dark compared to my Quad 988. The sound was like from the telephone. Then I came close to the tweeter, they did sing but not as loud as woofer. I cannot tell if the tweeter is bad or the original design was like that....

Here's some pictures of HL MK4. I think the crossover will be fine since there's no any Electrolytic capacitor.

And if I want to replace the tweeters, what the right number? I have seen a Japanese site writing "Audax HD12D25-8 ".

Thank you so much!

Coffin

Name:	IMG_7931.jpg
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	63278

Name:	IMG_7922.jpg
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	63279

Name:	IMG_7923.JPG
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	63280

Name:	IMG_7924.JPG
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	63281

Comment

First Harbeths?

BTW, What's the difference between HL and HL1?

cheers

{Moderator's comment: HL = Harbeth Loudspeaker so HL and MK Mk1 are the same. Have you checked the Spares Matrix?}

Comment

Spares

The original tweeters were made by Audax.
                          Falcon Acoustics stock Audax direct replacements for these units including the metal faceplate.

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/dri...9-tweeter.html

Originally posted by coffin1967 View Post
                          BTW, What's the difference between HL and HL1?

cheers

{Moderator's comment: HL = Harbeth Loudspeaker so HL and MK Mk1 are the same. Have you checked the Spares Matrix?}

Comment

Spares and tweeter phase

Thank you! The matrix shows : "definitely not available from Harbeth".....

Gorwig, thanks, I'll check with them.

cheers

{Moderator's comment: The problem you are going to have is deciding the correct wiring of the tweeter phase. The Audax units were rather ambiguous in their colour coding of the + or - terminals. Without test equipment, you have a 50:50 chance of reaching the correct ACOUSTIC phase, regardless of the implied ELECTRICAL (wiring) phase. Whatever you do, do not disturb the good working speaker as you will need it as a listening reference.}

Comment

Wiring ambiguity?

Thank you! The matrix shows : "definitely not available from Harbeth".....

Gorwig, thanks, I'll check with them.

cheers

{Moderator's comment: The problem you are going to have is deciding the correct wiring of the tweeter phase. The Audax units were rather ambiguous in their colour coding of the + or - terminals. Without test equipment, you have a 50:50 chance of reaching the correct ACOUSTIC phase, regardless of the implied ELECTRICAL (wiring) phase. Whatever you do, do not disturb the good working speaker as you will need it as a listening reference.}
                              When I ordered two Audax tweeters from Falcon Acoustics for my HL Monitors, Jerry Bloomfield ( Prop. Falcon Acoustics ) tested them to be sure the polarity was clearly marked.
                              They worked perfectly...

{Moderator's comment: That is not the point. The ambiguity is with the OLD units and how they were wired hence our advice not to replace the working unit but to keep that as a listening reference.}

Comment

Working...
                              X