Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Veneers - you decide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veneers - you decide

We offer a range of veneers to compliment the colours and style of your living and listening environment. There are some who claim that veneers 'sounds different'. We can't say, but here are some recent contribution about this .....

(To be completed)
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Don't leave us with the cliff hanger, Alan. Does Pernambuco really sound better than Willow?

And does polishing with snake oil really make a difference over a supermarket aerosol?

<very big grin>

Comment

Beware of silicon polish!

Labarum,

Pledge, Mr. Sheen or any other domestic aerosol polishes that contain silicon are to be avoided - evil stuff!

Dust with soft cloth at regular intervals to keep them clean, and preferably, keep them away from prolonged exposure to direct sunlight (to preserve the veneer) and cigarette smoke etc.

Comment

Of course it was tongue in cheek. Isn't the official advice to use nothing?

Comment

Darkening veneers

A question for Mr. Shaw: I /believe/ I read something to the effect that the Cherry finish darkens over time. My SHL5s are about 8 months old and are pretty light in color. I'm wondering what, if any, color change I should expect and, if so, over what period of time. Thanks.

{Moderators comment: yes, some veneers oxidise with time and exposure to light etc.. Cherry generally becomes a little more orange with time, especially during the first year or so.}

Comment

Pledge or Mr. Sheen - avoid!

Originally posted by Aceca View Post
            Pledge, Mr. Sheen or any other domestic aerosol polishes that contain silicon are to be avoided - evil stuff!
            Not questioning your knowledge, but why? I've used it for years on all my wooden furniture.
            Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

Sticky surface build-up

Originally posted by BAS-H View Post
              Not questioning your knowledge, but why? I've used it for years on all my wooden furniture.
              Pledge, and other aerosol polishes? They do not feed the wood behind a modern impervious varnish: they just make the surface sticky.

Traditional wood finishes respond best to traditional polishes, because they do feed the wood.

Comment

The sounds of veneers?

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                We offer a range of veneers to compliment the colours and style of your living and listening environment. There are some who claim that veneers 'sounds different'. We can't say, but here are some recent contribution about this .....

(To be completed)
                I remember once reading that a speaker veneered on both the internal and external faces sounded 'different' to one that had only been veneered on the outside face...

Comment

Originally posted by Labarum View Post
                  Pledge, and other aerosol polishes? They do not feed the wood behind a modern impervious varnish: they just make the surface sticky.

Traditional wood finished respond best to traditional polishes, because they do feed the wood.
                  I'm a woodworker as well and don't use pledge, but I can't understand what you mean by "Traditional wood finished respond best to traditional polishes, because they do feed the wood." can you be a little more specific?

Comment

Waxes and polishes

Originally posted by timber715 View Post
                    I'm a woodworker as well and don't use pledge, but I can't understand what you mean by "Traditional wood finished respond best to traditional polishes, because they do feed the wood." can you be a little more specific?
                    Well I don't mean that the wood is still living and in need of nutrition!

Look at the use of the term in these adverts:

http://www.phg-uk.com/product_list.php?id=235

Especially:

Beeswax Paste

A traditional wax that nourishes wood and gives an authentic finish to furniture.

- ideal for small surfaces and furniture

- suitable for soft and hardwoods

- gives off a gentle aroma of yester year

- feeds wood and protects against excessive dryness

- for use on absorbent woods such as unsealed pine and oak

- EN71 Approved – Safe for toys
                    A wood surface that has not been completely sealed with a modern varnish remains porous. It will dry out over time and be susceptible to domestic stains. Continued application of waxes and oils helps prevent this and maintains a good looking surface. The polish is said to "feed the wood".

Traditional treatments like neatsfoot oil are also said to "feed the leather" in saddles and other tackle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

http://www.penrithsurvival.com/penri...a/pid/12379460

{moderator's comment: as far as we know our veneer surfaces are *completely sealed*, not porous at all, in common with all other modern speaker finishes. So take care not to apply layer after layer of shiny, greasy wax onto what is a completely non-porous substrate.}

Comment

Veneer

upon inspection, the finish seems to be satin finish polyurethane, thus an occasional wipe with a damp cloth and dry cloth regularly as needed should be fine) but anything with silicone would be a bad thing, aerosols should be fine too I think. Beeswax would be good but not really nec as it can change the sheen of the cabinet to a glossy one (unless that is the intention to begin with as posted). Do remember that this is veneer and not solid wood that absorbs much. maybe someone can confirm the actual finish used for topcoat.

Comment

Silicone. What's not to Like?

Originally posted by timber715 View Post
                        ...but anything with silicone would be a bad thing...
                        Again though, I must ask why? The woodwork is sealed, so the wood feeding point is a moot one. Silicone polish just does what it says on the tin - gives it a shine and doesn't attract dust. What's so bad?

{Moderators comment: take care not to seal in layer upon layer of dirt and dust.}

Comment

Dust and grime

Originally posted by BAS-H View Post
                          Again though, I must ask why? The woodwork is sealed, so the wood feeding point is a moot one. Silicone polish just does what it says on the tin - gives it a shine and doesn't attract dust. What's so bad?

{Moderators comment: take care not to seal in layer upon layer of dirt and dust.}
                          silicone reacts with the finish over time, it makes the finish hard and when it dries over time produces cracks... beeswax as advised is better but a dry rags is all that is needed. a damp one when you need to remove grime...

Comment

Using a clean rag ....

I see. Thanks for the info. Clean rag from now on then.

Comment

Indian Rosewood?

Would you say that the rosewood used for P3ESR's is "Indian Rosewood"?

Not sure if this should have been in another section, but it is regarding veneers....

{Moderator's comment: we have no way of knowing which country any veneer is from. We select a range of patterns and colours and that is what we expect to receive.}

Comment

Working...
                              X