Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Tiger Ebony veneer over the years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger Ebony veneer over the years

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has any snaps of the Tiger Ebony veneers that have been recently produced? Tiger Ebony appears to have gone through quite a stark change over time. From a striped light/dark brown to a much darker striped dark brown/almost black colour.

Fully understand that it is a natural product and no two pieces are the same but a rough idea on what to expect would really help me decide.

My circumstance is that I currently own a pair of Harbeth SHL5's in Eucalyptus finish - they're gorgeous and a good match to the balsa/maple veneered SomethingSolid rack. The turntable and turntable plinth are maple so a deep striped/figured brown would contrast well i'm thinking - not so much the rosewood if it's particularly red though.

Having moved into my own place I'd like some small harbeths so next week I'm planning on ordering a pair of M30.1 (definitely still keeping the HL5's for when a big space is next available).

My current decision is Tiger Ebony, even if it is much darker, all of the examples i've seen the striping looks beautiful.

So, any snaps of what could loosely be expected if i go for a pair in Tiger Ebony?

Thanks very much.

Check web page

If you go to the Products page, select M30.1, there is a slideshow of veneers. The Tiger Ebony shown is pretty much like my demo SHL5 and M30.1. The veneers do differ though, so it might be possible to have a pair with wider figuring.

Comment

My ebony

Here is a picture of my Tiger Ebony SHL5 speakers, which should be a little over a year old. Your assessment of the colour is spot on, they are much darker than I expected with the striping rather difficult to see. For all intents and purposes, without direct light on them they appear dark brown/black. Perhaps the light striping is stained over, I am not sure but the striping appears a lighter brown rather than the yellow often seen in pictures. I tend to agree that the Eucalyptus finish does look good and so does the Rosewood, which I have seen at a dealer's room.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	62792

The stands in the picture have not yet been finished. I am thinking of putting some adjustable spikes on them. They are currently sitting on HRS Nimbus spacers and discs.
      Hope this helps.

Comment

Tiger ebony for me

Did previously have a look and noted how light the veneer samples look. Thanks for originally pointing the potential difference.

Staxxx ,That's extremely helpful thanks. Those HL5's look amazing. Please show us what they look like when you've stained those stands - the speakers look very sturdy on them - I think the overall look will be very nice and clean.

Also, is that some tellurium Q speaker cable pictured also?

I'll definitely be sticking to Tiger Ebony. As both previous and your images illustrate, they all look fantastic!

Comment

Klee cables

Thank you. The speaker cables are by Klee Acoustics - Grand Illusion. I find them quite neutral. I will be pleased to put some pictures up on the appropriate thread as soon as the stands are completed. I am planning to add some adjustable spikes to the bottom and stain them dark to match. I can't get the grilles off so I am not really sure how many inches from the top edge the tweeter is (not the super tweeter). It would be useful to know.

Comment

SHL5 main tweeter

On the SHL5, the main HF unit is approx 18.5 inches from the base.

Comment

Tweeter position

Tweeter height from the bottom:

P3ESR 233mm
              M30.1 320mm
              C7ES3 440mm
              SLH5 440mm

found around this website in different places. I don't know if they are correct.

Peter

Comment

Tiger ebony

Hi guys.....is it possible to tell how the monitor 30.1 in tiger ebony looks at the moment?? I would really like a very dark version of the tiger ebony finish.

Comment

My Tigers

Hi Askoe,

This was my demo pair with tiger ebony.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Current Tiger Ebony

The past few years, Tiger Ebony is much darker than the 'pyjama stripes' of earlier speakers.

Tiger Ebony is by far the most popular with my customers. A beautiful finish.

Comment

Working...
                    X