Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Speaker Finishes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speaker Finishes

wow!! Tiger is on offer again.
    It's sad for me, good news came too late. Already made an order for other veneer (Rosewood-beautiful too) and its due to arrive soon.... will always be dreaming of the TIGER (very special)

Comment

We don't have any cabinets made-up yet, but next week we will be making rosewood C7ES3 and also M40.1. We have a professional photographer booked (coincidentally) for Friday, so one way or another we should be able to let you have some pix next week.
      Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Any planned for production runs of the P3ESR in black ash soon? This will be the finish I need, USA shipment.

Thanks

Comment

If there is a P3ESR in tiger ebony finish, please kindly post it here. Thanks.

Comment

Here is a quick picture we've taken today of rosewood C7ES3 on the production bench. On this computer screen, the colour looks very close to what we see in daylight, but that may vary acocrding to your own screen and graphics.
            Attached Files
            Harbeth PR,
            Harbeth UK

Comment

SHL5 in rosewood

Hi everyone! This is my first post on the Harbeth User Group (HUG). First, I'd like to thank you all. This forum is mature, interesting and complete. I read a lot of posts since I'm planning to buy a pair of SHL5 in the next month. A wonderful speaker that I had the chance to hear twice in the last month.

Concerning the finish, is there someone who can show me pictures of the current production of the SHL5 in rosewood finish?

Thank you,

Sebastien
              Montreal, Canada

P.s. please note that French is my first language. I'll try to do my best to keep myself understood.

Comment

Bonjour, Sebastien, et bienvenue chez Harbeth! Ne vous inquiétez pas: votre anglais est excellent.

Comment

Merci pour l'accueil.

Sebastien

Comment

Hello, Sebastien

I'm not sure you can get SHL 5's in rosewood, but here's a shot of them in rosenut, a cobination of rosewood/walnut

http://pic8.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1269486764.jpg

You'll love them whatever the finish-welcome aboard!

Bob LaBarca
                    State College, PA
                    USA

Comment

Hi Sebastien

i hope this finds you...

http:[email protected]/4476761925/

http:[email protected]/4476761935/

it really is a beautiful finish. think the first photo is a slightly better representation, more dark brown than "red". Think the second photo is slightly lighter than what my eyes tell me. i am happy with the rosewood choice because my personal feeling if i chose a lighter coloured wood, it might draw more attention to themselves and also look "bigger" in my small living room - like a car.

welcome!

kittykat

Comment

Wow! I really like the rosewood finish. It will help me in my decision.

I have just sold my pair of Audio Physic Virgo III in a similar color. I loved the color but I'm looking for a more natural sound which I found with the SHL5.

Sebastien

Comment

yes, somehow the speakers remind me of the musical boxes of rouge. something you want to touch and feel. no other speaker finish has done this for me, maybe except an old walnut pair of scan dynas from the 70's.

Comment

There is a friend of mine who belives that like a musical instrument made of wood, a same speaker can sound different depending wood difference. About that, I'd like to know if an Harbeth speaker is made entirely of real wood or if it contains MDF (small particules of wood and glue)? Plus, is there only a small sheet of real wood on top of it with MDF below?

Thanks,

Sebastien

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastien View Post
                              There is a friend of mine who belives that like a musical instrument made of wood, a same speaker can sound different depending wood difference. About that, I'd like to know if an Harbeth speaker is made entirely of real wood or if it contains MDF (small particules of wood and glue)? Plus, is there only a small sheet of real wood on top of it with MDF below?
                              In this thread Alan explains the 'thin-wall' construction.

From what I can gather (I may be wrong) the panels are 9mm MDF in a sandwich of veneers (veneered inside and out) and damped with strategically placed bitumen panels. (The thin wall allows some flexure at a known frequency but the flexure converts to heat in the bitumen panel thus damping any audible effect.)

Also having a box made of thinner (than usual) panels made around a 'frame' of battens with front and rear panels that are screwed on gives a 'lossy' construction due to having lots of joints that can dissipate energy before it gets a chance to travel around the whole box. A normal mass produced thick MDF box with everything tongue & grooved and glued together would be 'seen' by unwanted energy as one large piece of wood and go around and around it without hitting a joint or gap.

That is my (possibly flawed) interpretation.

Comment

I believe there is one other company that follows the "thin-wall" construction technique but uses plywood rather than MDF. I have seen certain other speaker companies (not building in the BBC style) tout plywood (e.g. birch ply) as superior to MDF due to greater rigidity. Not sure however if that's true, or if it matters.

My understanding is also that Harbeth uses veneered MDF with damping applied. I wonder however if Alan might comment on whether there's any practical difference between MDF and plywood.

Comment

Working...
                                X