Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Covers for Harbeth range?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covers for Harbeth range?

Just wondered what if anything, folks use to cover their Harbeth speakers when not in use. I am thinking more of those that may be exposed to all or partial sunlight in all or certain areas.

Also does anyone use partial covers to resolve any slight issues with resonances other than bungs Bass ports.

I ask because I noticed my HiFi dealer offers Speaker "Socks" for a certain range of speakers. The purpose of which intrigues me. I daren't ask the dealer. I get better/more informed info on Harbeth Forum.

Nothing to worry about

I imagine the wood veneer (like other wooden furniture) will fade and dry out over time when exposed to sunlight. This is a very slow process that will depend on the amount of exposure to sunlight and humidity levels in your room. I would worry about it in 15 or 20+ years, when maybe an application of some Danish oil or something similar will restore the finish.

With the grille covers left on that will protect the driver surrounds from any degradation from sunlight exposure. But modern rubber surrounds are much more durable than when (urethane?) foam surrounds were used on many drivers in the 70s.

Comment

My covers

I'm upholsterer and made fabric cover to keep dust away.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7359.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	63600

Comment

A new business emerges!

Originally posted by szigony View Post
        I'm upholsterer and made fabric cover to keep dust away.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]4091[/ATTACH]
        You have just drummed up a lot of business.

Comment

Proud new bags

I'll be very proud if I can make it for all Harbeth speakers.I'll contact to Alan.

Of course different colour option would be available for all interior with optional Harbeth logo.

This cover also support some protection from sunlight.

Comment

Let's try it

Originally posted by szigony View Post
            I'll be very proud if I can make it for all Harbeth speakers. I'll contact to Alan.

Of course different colour option would be available for all interior with optional Harbeth logo.

This cover also support some protection from sunlight.
            That sounds like a very useful product indeed. If you'd like to bring me along a couple of samples (let's put it in the diary), I'd be delighted to treat you to lunch at the local pub.
            Alan A. Shaw
            Designer, owner
            Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Let's meet

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
              That sounds like a very useful product indeed. If you'd like to bring me along a couple of samples (let's put it in the diary), I'd be delighted to treat you to lunch at the local pub.
              That would be great.I'm sure we can find time for meeting. I'll try to find few different fabric option. Can we arrange the meeting in pm? Thank you the opportunity.
              Regards
              Zsolt

Comment

Securing the speakers

May I suggest to consider a version with "belts" to somehow fasten the speaker to the support underneath?

This will reduce a little the risk of speakers falling by people accidentally bumping into them when not in use, which could happen in a living room especially when they are placed far from the walls.

Comment

More about covers

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                  I'm quite happy to see your interest about covers. My grandmother uses covers for tv and other thing in house... But, if your only purpose is to cover speakers when you are not at home, then is no need for matching colors or logos etc - hence can be anything.

The most interesting for me (and we've discuss long time ago, 3-4 years, when you suggested to change the cloth by myself) is to match the grille's color with the interior design (ex: red or a printed one to celebrate the 40th anniversary?).

Since I studied this matter together with stands, I can share a few conclusions:

- covering speakers with custom covers helps to absorb the sound reflections (especially on the back side - so it can be invizible from the listening position) especially when the speakers are too close to the walls.

- for the same reasons this may be applied to stands also...

Comment

Working...
                  X