Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Taking Care Of Your Harbeth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Care Of Your Harbeth

All of us spend a good amount of money on our precious brand new Harbeth(s) speakers. The speakers arrived in perfect condition on the first day. How do you maintain the finish of your speakers to be as new as the day you start owning them, making sure it doesn't even have a slightest scratch? How do you avoid anyone touching it without hurting their feelings? Just wondering...

I bought a pair of SHL5's a short time ago. When my 4 year old hyperactive grandson came to visit me recently I put the speakers in another room and shut the door. LOL.

Geoff.

Comment

I got a delicated room for my self. I locked the door when I not at home. I use air blower and women makeup brush to clean the radial cone. Also use vaccum to clean the cabinet surface with help of the brush as well. Beside that, I avoid touching the cone and the cabinet by bare hand. No one can enter my room without my permisson. Not only my Harbeth, I treated all my Hifi gears: cdp, amp, CDs, LP etc with care and love too
      "Bath with Music"

Comment

A big, fat soft makeup brush - ideal for cone cleaning

Originally posted by keithwwk View Post
        I use air blower and women makeup brush to clean the radial cone.
        Very good idea indeed. That should be the standard recommended way of de-dusting your RADIAL cones.
        Harbeth PR,
        Harbeth UK

Comment

Keith, this is seriously a very good tip from you! Thanks!

Comment

I'm more worried about bugs and insects than human hands. Any advice?

Comment

Pest control might be the answer. Maybe you can pre-treat your future house before you move in.

Comment

Originally posted by chowyeung View Post
                worried about bugs and insects
                Bugs and insects don't seem to like vibration too much, so if you use the speakers often, that should keep them away. Think your speaker doesn't have ports? That also lessens anything getting in there if the grilles are kept on. The bigger culprit is UV as they damage the rubber surrounds, moisture or an extremely dry environment.

Tried cleaning the upper surface with a Nagaoka record player roller last night, seems to work :-)

Comment

Yes i also use the blusher brush to brush away all dust on the radial driver. The very fine bristles of the brush ensures that it will not scratch the cone surface while maintaining the shine on it. In addition, i sometimes use a small manual dust blower (similar to those used by watch repairers) to blow dust away from the shiny cone.

Comment

Working...
                  X