Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

'Fast' and 'slow' speakers - should 'fast' = painful to listen to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"that speaker is darker"

I don't know where to start this topic... this was a strange day for me...

Shl5 is good speaker, with a kind of magic sound reproduction, but I always felt that something is missing till today, when my almost three years old daughter told me this: "That speaker is darker"... For few times I had an impression that the image is not very stable and I checked all the parts in my system ... from power cords to chanels of the amps, but after this episod with my daughter, I start to think that could be an Shl5 problem. So I removed the super grilles (even more a good sound but with the same problems) and examinate the loudspeaker. What I found you can see in the pictures from the attachment.

I must say that my system has a "PRaT" and an very good resolution, so this difference between the speakers was obviously even for my wife after I rise this problem... I got the "right answer" : That speaker (the same) is darker!
    So I have a question:

Are any references in the Master Log Book about this marks?
    Best regards.

Comment

Darkness needs some light

Originally posted by micron View Post
      ... I got the "right answer" : That speaker (the same) is darker!
      So I have a question:

Are any references in the Master Log Book about this marks? ...
      Hi Micron,

I'm sorry to say that but I don't understand your problem by the picture you provide. I can figure that one woofer is darker by color but I'd need two picture of the same reference point to get an idea. Actually, I'm in a dark place regarding your problem. Please, give me some light.

Sébastien

Comment

Micro-adjustements and a spec of dirt?

Hi Sabastien
        Thanks for your care. The adjective "darker" was about sound and not about color of woofer or speaker...
        All that differences were very subtle and I tried to find physical differences between speakers... but the two pictures are from the same ( left ) woofer. And my question was if are any references in Master Log Book for this signs (the scratch and the red point), because this was the first time when I removed the grilles.
        Alan told me "is totally and utterly impossible that the small red item (wool?) can effect the sound" and to use a tweezers to pull it off. I tried but a quarter of the red point is still there because is sticked in a glue. I renounced to try anymore but I press gentle on the membrane to see if the red dot is moving or something... from interior of woofer...
        Anyway, I found another difference at the right speaker (the brightest one). When I looked thru the bass reflex port I saw a corner of the sponge, from the back wall, floating in the air about 3-4 cm. So I pushed back in the place.

After all this micro-tunings. the stereo image became stable. So I fix the problem (for the moment, at least
        I cannot tell which was the problem... maybe was a sum of problems.

Best regard

Comment

Working...
        X