Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Harbeth amplifier?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbeth amplifier?

Mr Shaw,

I read some information regarding the prototype of Harbeth amplifier.
    Can we have any information about?
    I'm sure many Harbeth owner happily choose the perfect matching Harbeth amplifiers.
    Regards
    Zsolt
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HALAMP-sc-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	65792

Dormant

I don't believe that project took off.

Comment

Interested!

The face plate bears Harbeth logo

I would be interested seriously

Comment

Harbeth's credentials

I'd buy two right away, basing on my strong belief in Harbeth's credentials only.

I understand though that for various reasons it is not easy for the loudspeaker brand to step into the unknown amplifier manufacturing territory, especially wishing to offer a product of the same highest quality as the speakers.

Comment

Complex business decision

Originally posted by Milosz View Post
          I'd buy two right away, basing on my strong belief in Harbeth's credentials only.

I understand though that for various reasons it is not easy for the loudspeaker brand to step into the unknown amplifier manufacturing territory, especially wishing to offer a product of the same highest quality as the speakers.
          What kinds of things could differentiate a Harbeth amplifier in a very crowded marketplace? Some thoughts:

1. Reputation. Harbeth is seen as a no-nonsense, engineering based company that does not pander to audiophile fashion. A Harbeth amplifier would likely be seen in the same light.

2. Maintenance. Very few amp manufacturers talk about maintenance, i.e. the changing of power supply capacitors every few years (10 to 15, say). If Harbeth offered recapping up front as a service at reasonable cost, that would accentuate virtue #1, above, as well as sending the message that this is a long-term purchase.

3. Tone controls. Many amplifiers no longer have them, and they can be useful. On the other hand, we are probably moving into an era where this will ultimately all be done digitally. But we're not there yet, and useful, Quad-style tone control circuitry could not only be beneficial, but also differentiate from other products and again accentuate the practical, engineering-based nature of the product.

4. Realistic input sensitivities. This has been talked about a lot on HUG. The fact is, many amplifiers have unfeasibly high input sensitivities so as to create the illusion of power. However, sound quality and usefulness are both diminished. A Harbeth amp would have the opportunity to do this correctly.

Is that enough? I think it might be. It's a big leap though, so I wouldn't presume to say that it is or isn't a good idea for Harbeth to jump into that game. Only they can decide.

Comment

Real world features please

Such an amplifier should be no doubt embellished with some real world practical tools, maybe with 'bypass' for each to keep the purist happy: A good chunk of Watts, some basic tone controls, an input gain, a subsonic filter, maybe even a clip indicator.

Edit: You can see why such an amp beautifully rendered might be useful to me, my current pre/power has all the aforementioned features but is not very domestically friendly, my spouse will not touch it! It is possible that I have the least 'hifi' set up of anybody, anywhere with Harbeths attached!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	amps.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	63316
            Last edited by acroyear; 12-05-2015, 01:07 AM. Reason: add photo
            Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

The one and only amp?

Originally posted by EricW View Post
              What kinds of things could differentiate a Harbeth amplifier in a very crowded marketplace? Some thoughts:

1. Reputation. Harbeth is seen as a no-nonsense, engineering based company that does not pander to audiophile fashion. A Harbeth amplifier would likely be seen in the same light.

2. Maintenance. Very few amp manufacturers talk about maintenance, i.e. the changing of power supply capacitors every few years (10 to 15, say). If Harbeth offered recapping up front as a service at reasonable cost, that would accentuate virtue #1, above, as well as sending the message that this is a long-term purchase.

3. Tone controls. Many amplifiers no longer have them, and they can be useful. On the other hand, we are probably moving into an era where this will ultimately all be done digitally. But we're not there yet, and useful, Quad-style tone control circuitry could not only be beneficial, but also differentiate from other products and again accentuate the practical, engineering-based nature of the product.

4. Realistic input sensitivities. This has been talked about a lot on HUG. The fact is, many amplifiers have unfeasibly high input sensitivities so as to create the illusion of power. However, sound quality and usefulness are both diminished. A Harbeth amp would have the opportunity to do this correctly.

Is that enough? I think it might be. It's a big leap though, so I wouldn't presume to say that it is or isn't a good idea for Harbeth to jump into that game. Only they can decide.
              5. Gain adjustment maybe

6. Not an easy decision with regard to power. I don't think Harbeth is ever going to produce a family of amplifiers, so the one and only Harbeth amp should have enough steam to power M40.1 not being an overkill for the P3ESR at the same time.

Comment

Audio nirvana?

7.low standby less then 0,5W and idle power possible below 20W for the future proof.

I have a plan to build mainly solar energy system house. So this is the main reason I wan't to leave the tube way.

8.no buzzing toroidal transformers wich is really annoying in many amplifiers. I would be very happy only one integrated Harbeth amplifier like 2X150W.

Other option is the pre/power amp with double power then the integrated for bigger rooms.

We don't wish any more. Perfect speakers with matching amplifier. Finally we are in audio nirvana...

Comment

Intergrated solution

Originally posted by acroyear View Post
                  Edit: You can see why such an amp beautifully rendered might be useful to me, my current pre/power has all the aforementioned features but is not very domestically friendly, my spouse will not touch it! It is possible that I have the least 'hifi' set up of anybody, anywhere with Harbeths attached!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3684[/ATTACH]
                  If it sounds good and has enough power this is all that matters. My wife wouldn't touch anything else than a simple integrated anyway

Comment

Would order

no moderator yet. seems like it is positive

i would place order if it is available

Comment

Hisses and buzzes

Originally posted by szigony View Post
                      7.low standby less then 0,5W and idle power possible below 20W for the future proof.

I have a plan to build mainly solar energy system house. So this is the main reason I wan't to leave the tube way.

8.no buzzing toroidal transformers wich is really annoying in many amplifiers. I would be very happy only one integrated Harbeth amplifier like 2X150W.

Other option is the pre/power amp with double power then the integrated for bigger rooms.

We don't wish any more. Perfect speakers with matching amplifier. Finally we are in audio nirvana...
                      Amplifier buzzing can be annoying, I tested a power amplifier a while back and it had a very audible buzz. Another integrated had a very low level hum from the transformer that was not an issue but it did have strange hiss/noise behavior at the speakers, both channels were different (the sound was asymmetric) and depending on where the balance control was set the hum could become surprisingly loud from the loudspeakers.

Always check amps for hiss, even my pro crown amp is very quiet when the potentiometers are set under say half way, when fully open they do hiss a lot (but that could be related to the pre amp even) but fully open pots would simply not be needed for anything but PA speakers where the hiss would be moot.
                      Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Simply more powerful

If it sounds good and has enough power this is all that matters. My wife wouldn't touch anything else than a simple integrated anyway
                        As far as I can tell it sounds like any other amplification (Including ten grands worth I auditioned the harbeths with at a dealers) and at $800 including cables I am quite happy, however I am willing to demo different preamplifiaction as a start to see if that 2 channel mixer is indeed holding back any sound quality, I suspect it is not though! Note I have the power amp potentiometers labeled with a little maximum position indicator just incase my other half does want to try it!!
                        Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by EricW View Post

I totaly agree
                          If music be the food of love, play on,...

Comment

Not viable

The prototype is too bling. It needs a sticky-back wood fascia (cherry, rosewood, oak options) and bakelite knobs and switches.

Otherwise, all the responses simply say "Quad" (full factory service and recap: 100).

Unfortunately a Harbeth amp will never be commercially worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                            X