Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Audio editing, creation, analysing and manipulation software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio editing, creation, analysing and manipulation software

I'm surprised that there is no sub-forum on HUG covering what I think is one of the most fascinating aspects of sound reproduction, but if there is one, I can't find it! When I was a teenager in the 70s, what i would have given for the ability to have at my fingertips not only a computer, but one with a sound card and a means of editing and visualising audio. To think of the fantasy of open reel that I would never have embarked upon.

I'm rather involved in some research at the moment, and I'd better understand the issue if I could visualise sound as an image. As part of a trawl for suitable software, I stumbled across this program which amongst other things allows you to record a sound, say a singing voice, then filter out overtones in the voice (or of course, musical instrument) and hear them in isolation. It makes the point that music is not pure single-pith tones, but a complex array of harmonics.

Have a look at this.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

That's a fascinating video - thanks for posting it. If you ever wanted to give up the day job, it suggests you could produce a decent 3-minute single simply by sampling a 10 second vocal.

As I am doing some REW analysis at home with test tones and frequency sweeps, mostly focusing on 30-500Hz, your video does bring back to mind how complex musical sound can be and to what extent it is affected by relatively small variations over the audible frequency response curve. If my system has a dip at say 60-100Hz due to room issues, which it does in a certain location, I suspect software like that shown is a far better way of getting to hear the impact, as the output from that part of the spectrum can be reduced or excluded completely.

Unfortunately I have a day job, so due to lack of time (and expertise) I am probably unlikely to know. Never mind. I still smile to myself every time I use my Harbeths.

Comment

It's such a useful program, I just bought it.
      Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Explains the cello

Thanks for this fascinating video. It clearly demonstrates, I believe, the basic difference between two cellos I own.

One sounds alive and rich, the other dull and monochromatic. The one must be rich in overtones, and the other not.

Comment

Tuva or Bust! Singing overtones.

Regarding overtones my student daughter has just come back from tournee with her folk group to Irkutsk (Baikal lake), Buryatia and Mongolia. Their scenic local partners mastered singing overtones to perfection.

It is unbelievable what sonic effects people can produce with trained throats in Central Asia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNFSB4PnVPI

Also in Canada (especially 3rd part) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnGM0BlA95I

ATB

Comment

BBC Radio 3 "Record Review" celebrates 60 years with a special edition on audio restoration on what was Record Store Day 2017. Did you know that?

Programme here.

10.30am Pristine Audio

Pristine Audio founder Andrew Rose describes the extraordinary work involved in restoring old recordings to and beyond their former glory with examples from the 30s, 40s and 50s with artists including Alfred Cortot, Arturo Toscanini and Serge Koussevitzky.
            Fast forward to 1 hour 30 mins of the program to hear the above section on audio restoration.

Alan A. Shaw
            Designer, owner
            Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
            X