Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

The critical temperature of the listening room and why it should be controlled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pertinent quote:

Originally posted by Richard Small
    Personally, I think that of all the conventional driver components, suspensions are the one still in a primitive stage. I am amazed that designers are still content to use bits of paper and fabric with properties that vary wildly with the environment. It would be nice to have a breakthrough here that would give us at least the same kind of environmental stability that magnets, coils and cones achieve.
    Source: http://www.avhub.com.au/Features.asp...&FeatureID=109

Comment

Originally posted by kittykat View Post
      It's finally getting cooler in the Southern Hemisphere and reaching optimum listening temperature. hee hee. Its about 20-21 degree C inside the house (without heating) where i am and this cooler weather will really only last for another 3-4 months.
      Well, here in north it is finally getting warm. Sometimes even up to 20-21 degrees C outside (14 at the moment). And this warm will only last for about two months.

Comment

Temperature ....

Dear Friends, I have owned Harbeth M30 for a couple of months or maybe less. These loudspeakers are driven by an YBA Passion Intègré 300; CD player is a Cayin CDT-23 and cables and interconnects are Van den Hul. The sound is wonderful.

Here in Rome in this terrible summer, the temperature of the place I live and paint (I am a painter) is 30° C. I cannot stand air conditioning and so I just try to survive. I must say that I succeed in doing it quite well, but after reading the interesting notes by Alan I am a bit worried. Could this terrible hot damage my speakers for good? I can tolerate a less accurate performance of the whole system with "softer and flabby basses" (even if honestly in my case it is not so dramatic, maybe my Harbeth speakers had already to get used to these latitudes, it is for them a serious issue of survival), but I couldn't bear any serious and permanent damage to the speakers.

Thank you.
        Best regards

Comment

temperature effects - reversible

Hi, Alan mentioned this:-

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
          ....Rubber and plastics have completely reversible temperature characteristics, so once the temperature is returned to 20 degrees C, all will be well again.
          I wouldn't worry too much about it. If that is the case then there would no speakers can survive in my tropical country. I am not sure if you can find anything in the manual. The link http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/uploadfo...rguidancee.pdf seemed broken.

ST

Comment

Relative importace of temperature

THANK YOU STHLS5. And anyway we shouldn't care about our stereo systems more than we do about our own bodies, more than we do about ourselves.. But maybe we consider them a part, an important part of ourselves!. And this is wrong.
            Ciao

Comment

Room temperature

Originally posted by Astroalex View Post
              ..we shouldn't care about our stereo systems more than we do about our own bodies, more than we do about ourselves.. But maybe we consider them a part, an important part of ourselves!. And this is wrong.
              Ciao
              Well said. I maintain my room temperature at 24, just nice for my comfort. I did experiment with the recommended 20 degree C but can't really tell the difference with the bass.

ST

Comment

Nothing is more important than our lives. I just feel shocked when I heard that my next door neighbor was broken in today, lots of valuable things were stolen. But thank God nobody was at home. I couldn't imagine if they broke into my house...

Comment

How hot do you listen? (Temperature in your listening room....)

As you know, I've been moving into our new R&D centre, a 16th century beautifully converted barn (built around 1580 we believe).

The UK weather these past few days has been remarkably variable, and out of curiosity I've been monitoring the inside temperature in the barn to appreciate how effective the insulation is.

I'd appreciate to gather some reliable feedback from you please about the inside temperature of your listening room. Please don't guess! Use a thermometer, out of direct sunlight, away from air conditioners.

Could you cut and paste this section into your reply perhaps? Thanks in advance.

My country is:
                  The month is:
                  My season is:
                  The time of day is:
                  My inside temperature in my listening room is: ........ deg. C and the air conditioning is on/off
                  This is/is not a typical indoor temperature in my listening room, in this season

Thank you.

Many responses have arrived - all very clear. I won't show them yet to prevent influencing the results. Many thanks.
                  Alan A. Shaw
                  Designer, owner
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

My country is: germany
                    The month is: august
                    My season is: summer
                    The time of day is: 11:40 morning
                    My inside temperature in my listening room is: 21 deg. C and the air conditioning is off (as appropriate)
                    This is a typical temperature in this season (as appropriate)

best,
                    delgesu
                    Harbeth M40.1-Naim NAC52-Supercap-NAP 135-CDS2-XPS

Comment

My country is:USA
                      The month is:August
                      My season is:Summer
                      The time of day is:8:30 am
                      My inside temperature in my listening room is: 40 (72 F) deg. C and the air conditioning is on
                      This is/ a typical temperature in this season

Comment

My country is: Singapore
                        The month is: August
                        My season is: Summer (BTW, our country don't have a no true distinct seasons)
                        The time of day is: 9.00pm
                        My inside temperature in my listening room is: 28 deg. C (82 °F) and the air conditioning is off (as appropriate)
                        This is a typical temperature in this season (as appropriate)

Comment

My country is: the Netherlands
                          My season is: Summer
                          The time of day is: 16:00
                          My inside temperature in my listening room is: 20.8 deg. C and the air conditioning is off.
                          This is a typical temperature in this season

Humidity: 66%

Good luck!

Comment

Hi Alan, Here you go:

My country is: USA (Florida)
                            The time of day is: 10:30 a.m.
                            My inside temperature in my listening room is: 24.5˚C (Air conditioned 8 mos. of the year)

Thanks for the great Compact 7ES-3s!
                            -Bob Hesson

Comment

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                              My country is: USA
                              The time of day is: Noon
                              My inside temperature in my listening room is: 24 deg. C and the air conditioning is OFF
                              This IS a typical temperature in this season
                              Since we have no air conditioning, the temperature can vary quite a bit during the summer in the room with the speakers: during the day from say 21 to 31 degrees C.

Bruce

Comment

My country is: Australia
                                My season is: Winter
                                The time of day is: 8PM
                                My inside temperature in my listening room is: 18-19 deg. C and the air conditioning is off
                                This is a typical indoor temperature in my listening room, in this season

Comment

Working...
                                X