Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

The critical temperature of the listening room and why it should be controlled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Country is : Singapore
    The Month is : August
    The Season is : No 4 seasons in tropical Singapore
    The time of day is : 9.00pm
    My inside temperature in my listening room is : 22 deg celsius and the air conditioning is on
    This is a typical indoor temperature in my listening room when air con is on.

{mod: released to here]

Comment

Finland reports

My country is: Finland
      The month is: August
      My season is: Summer-turning-to-autumn
      The time of day is: 19:50
      My inside temperature in my listening room is: 23.8 deg. C and the air conditioning is off
      This is a typical indoor temperature in my listening room, in this season
      SHL5

Comment

Malaysia

I finally managed to get two thermometers. I noted down 2 reading in two countries during weekend.

Location 1:
        My country is: Malaysia
        My season is: No 4 seasons
        The time of day is: 16:30 (Sat, 13 Aug)
        My inside temperature in my listening room is: 28 deg. C and the air conditioning is on.
        This is a typical indoor temperature in my listening room in Malaysia.

Location 2:
        My country is: Singapore
        My season is: No 4 seasons
        The time of day is: 21:00 (Sun, 14 Aug)
        My inside temperature in my listening room is: 31 deg.C and the air conditioning is off (Ceiling fan is "on" right above my listening seat with lowest speed).
        This is a typical indoor temperature in my listening room in Singapore.
        "Bath with Music"

Comment

Uk

My country is: UK
          My season is: Summer
          The time of day is: 12:00
          My inside temperature in my listening room is: ....21.... deg. C and the air conditioning is off

My country is: UK
          The month is: January
          My season is: Winter
          The time of day is: 12:00
          My inside temperature in my listening room is: ....17.... deg. C and the heating is on
          Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

japan report

My Country is: Japan
            The Month is: September
            The season is: Summer (late)
            The time of day is: 8pm
            The temperature inside my listening room is: 26 degrees C
            This is slightly cooler than of recent. I have been listening in temps of around 30, but it is probably average for September. Yet to install air conditioning! A great big Luxman amp adds to the heat!

{Moderator's comment: many thanks. Wow that is really hot!}

Comment

Singapor report

My country is: Singapore
              The month is: September
              My season is: Summer all year round
              The time of day is: 3pm
              My inside temperature in my listening room is: ..28.... deg. C and the air conditioning is off

{moderator's comment: Many thanks}

Comment

From Seattle, Washington

My country is: USA (Seattle, Washington)
                The month is: Early September
                My season is: Late Summer
                The time of day is: 2200
                My inside temperature in my listening room is: 20 deg. C and the air conditioning is off (we do not have air conditioning)
                This is a typical indoor temperature in my listening room, in this season.

{Moderator's comment: many thanks.}

Comment

Global warming and music listening

Pardon the resurrection. So glad Alan's offered this information. Been pondering this thread for awhile now. I'm living in a climate where, with the exception of the wee hours of a few days annually, it's unlikely that Harbeths or most high quality loudspeakers here would have seen optimal operating temperatures since departing their factories.

My guess is dealers' showrooms are in the neighborhood of 25 degrees and raising as green practices and increasing energy costs take hold. From a dealers' perspective everyone's in the same boat so I guess that's why the Harbeths still sung the best for us.

Nonetheless, Alan's opening post continues to speak from the background. Our operating realities would be 26-31 degrees. Speakers would also be exposed to both quasi-open-air environments with doors and windows open while rain pours down to sealed-up air conditioning dryness. So one ponders. With Harbeths or anything else, what are the practical realities of consistently operating a high quality loudspeaker over the long term well above their designed temperature (climate) range? Are we asking a high quality saloon to spend its life on unimproved roads? The title of the thread kind of suggests this? The anecdotes posted here by users offer encouragement, but I wonder how many consumers or even dealers here are aware of this. Maybe we should ask them for demos without the air conditioning on since they won't let you take them home to test.

It's kind of scary thinking about some audiophiles here, with such information in hand, taking this to heart and running both high-wattage class A amplification with sufficient air conditioning to bring their listening room temperatures down to optimal levels. That's a lot of CO2. If they're locally born and raised, they would most certainly be bundled up in winter garb and/or position those amps right next to/under their chairs.

Not to get in a debate about cloning, but it would be interesting to have a twin of Alan pop over here for a spell and begin experimenting on a global warming line of Harbeths.

Comment

Working...
                  X