Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Adjusting Room sound using material damping methods (not DSP)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Close to wall

Originally posted by adinoto
    Hi,
    My listening space is very limited, size 2.8m X 3.2m. The problem is I cant place the speaker well into room, only about 20-30cm. Currently I'm using HLP3ES, but considering upgrade to Compact 7
    Hello - well as luck would have it I have a pair of C7ES-2 at home at the moment, and my listening space is not much bigger than yours (I will confirm the size later). I've been listening to and measuring the C7 (and others) and am obliged to break my own recommendation of wall proximity - the C7's are much closer than I thought would be acceptable. They sound and measure flat - great actually. Would a picture of my setup be of interest?
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

It most definitely would to me.

Comment

That good news,
        How close we talking about?
        And yes your diagram/picture of listening space would be useful

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by adinoto
          That good news,
          How close we talking about?
          And yes your diagram/picture of listening space would be useful

Regards

If it's any help, I have tried my HP3s at various distances to the wall, and I think they're best about 18" from the back wall (and about 10' from the side walls). That way bass goes much lower than one has any right to expect from such tiny drivers (I can't imagine wanting any more), and the 'speakers themselves simply disappear, with a huge soundstage (way beyond the 'speakers' edges), pin-point imaging, and that peculiar, non-intrusive presence that I have not heard from anything else, including "hi-fi" "Class-A recommended" 'speakers costing much, much more. I know that Alan has a very soft spot for the C7s, which I haven't heard. But don't underestimate these little boxes. They're amazing!

David

Comment

Originally posted by A.S.
            Hello - well as luck would have it I have a pair of C7ES-2 at home at the moment, and my listening space is not much bigger than yours (I will confirm the size later). I've been listening to and measuring the C7 (and others) and am obliged to break my own recommendation of wall proximity - the C7's are much closer than I thought would be acceptable. They sound and measure flat - great actually. Would a picture of my setup be of interest?

looking forward to seeing your setup picture, Alan...

David

Comment

Here is one of the C7ES2 at home. As you can see, it's really quite close to the rear wall. Not perhaps theoretically ideal, but it works OK (in the bass).
              Attached Files
              Alan A. Shaw
              Designer, owner
              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Here is one of the C7ES2 at home. As you can see, it's really quite close to the rear wall. Not perhaps theoretically ideal, but it works OK (in the bass).

thank you, Alan
                without grilles ?

David
                p.s.
                I sent P.M. to you

Comment

Grilles off so that you can clearly see that it is a C7ES2 and not an M30 or SHL5 - there is quite a bit of optical distortion which distorts the perspective.
                  Alan A. Shaw
                  Designer, owner
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Grilles off so that you can clearly see that it is a C7ES2 and not an M30 or SHL5 - there is quite a bit of optical distortion which distorts the perspective.

Thank you Alan !
                    David

Comment

As an open reel fan I'd be interested in comments about your deck. Ferrograph?

Comment

>without grilles ?

I listen to my SHL5's without grilles since I discovered that low frequencies were creating some physical interaction between the cross-bar on the grille and the Radial driver surround. The sound is a bit brighter as you would expect and also more immediate, I suppose. For now at least, I prefer my Harbeths naked.

Comment

Originally posted by danrubin
                          >without grilles ?

I listen to my SHL5's without grilles since I discovered that low frequencies were creating some physical interaction between the cross-bar on the grille and the Radial driver surround. The sound is a bit brighter as you would expect and also more immediate, I suppose. For now at least, I prefer my Harbeths naked.

Alan, what do you think about it ?

David

Comment

I've replied to this one in detail in Home, Technical Questions to the Harbeth Designer.
                            Alan A. Shaw
                            Designer, owner
                            Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Don: It's one of my Studers. Technically inferior to digital but beautiful to handle and watch. I've been promising myself for five years to align them - but just no time for such pleasures even though I know exactly how to and have all the gear.
                              Alan A. Shaw
                              Designer, owner
                              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Re: Getting the best from your listening room [size, furnishings, construction]

Alan, I don't want to belabor the amplifier power issue, but am not entirely clear about it. My 170 W(into 8 ohms) amp has meters that indicate that it rarely is using more than 3 or 4 watts; is that all the power that is reaching the voice coils of my SHL5's? Or is there more to the issue? Would I be better off getting a lower powered amp for my Harbeth's?

With thanks,

Ned Mast

Comment

Working...
                                X