Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Blumlein (intensity difference) stereo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blumlein (intensity difference) stereo

We've mentioned on HUG the observation that one defining feature of Harbeth speakers is the ability to listen to them far away or close-up. No matter what distance from them, even using them like giant headphones, the sound quality does not change. Indeed, unlike the majority of loudspeakers, up close and personal is a thrillingly natural sensation with Harbeths - just try it, but of course, adjust the replay loudness to a safe level.

Whilst researching another subject, I found this interesting article on the very earliest concept of stereo sound, as invented by Blumlein, here. Take a particular note of the comments made about forming an equilateral triangle (60) between the speakers and the listener - a far sharper angle that we are use to.

Also consider that, in a normal domestic set-up, this relatively close proximity to the speakers will allow them to make a dominant contribution to what is hear at the listening point, much reducing the contribution of sound reflected off the side walls and generally bouncing around in the room.

When you think about it, the way we traditionally set-up and listen to our two channel hifi systems is hard to justify: we'd surely get a much purer rendition of the recording if we minimised the contribution of the listening room to what we hear, most easily accomplished by listening closer. And better stereo to. Also interesting to note how small a level difference (12-16dB) steers the image to the left or right. This of course is another aspect of how the miracle of the LP record performs.

If you have not heard how amazingly intimate recordings can sound on your Harbeths 'up close and personal', try it. It's the cheapest genuine upgrade you can implement!
    Just how does 'stereo' work? And how can you manipulate a stereo audio signal to your mix's advantage?
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Click image for larger version

Name:	gigantic headphones.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.39 MB
ID:	69563 How is this for a 'up close and personal' set up in my home office at the moment (See attached picture)? Distance to the ears: 62 cm. Distance from tweeter to tweeter: 110 cm. I also tried 85 cm (tweeter to tweeter), distance to the ears 70 cm, but that affected only the stereo image. The first set up I prefer. And it is indeed like having giant headphones, a very satisfying experience. Note that the speakers are located horizontally to have the tweeter at ear level. No (obligatoric?) equilateral triangle in the first mentioned set up. The base is approximately twice as wide.

Maybe interesting to mention also is that -when working at home- I stream simultaniously to my Harbeths 30.1 in the living room. Walking from room to room I notice hardly any sonic difference between the speaker models - which I appreciate a lot, music everywhere.

During the morning hours I often listen to live classic radio through the internet (See attached picture 2). What surprises and also maybe disturbs me a bit is, that absolutely all music that is coming from the radiostation sounds sonically the same. I can hardly detect any audible difference unless it is a very old recording. How do they do that? Or is it the limitation of the MP3 192kB stream?

Bummer: I am not allowed to attach pictures.....

{Moderator's comment: Can you take a screen shot of what pops up when you try and attach a picture and PM or email to us?}

Updated with pictures.

Name:	internetstream.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	69564

Comment

Okay, will do so.

Comment

Winfried, you should now be able to upload attachments. Some settings were reset to default restrictions while upgrading the forum software.

Comment

I can see the attached image. Finally working. Thank you.
          Alan A. Shaw
          Designer, owner
          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Eindelijk doet ie het. Dat is me al een lastige zaak geweest, die forum upgrade. Dankjewel om even te testen.
            Ivan - Web Designer Harbeth.

Comment

To have the speakers near you there is something very nice to have and very simple, one of the best " audiophiles " things to have, small wheels in your stands. That way when you are going to listen to music you move the speakers to their ideal position, and when you finish you "park" them again in the bestplace in the room for them (the place with more WAF factor, and that makes more free space in the room ).

Comment

Originally posted by ivan.Haentjens View Post
                Eindelijk doet ie het. Dat is me al een lastige zaak geweest, die forum upgrade. Dankjewel om even te testen.
                Ivan - Web Designer Harbeth.
                Ivan: De thumbnails zijn -per vandaag?- verdwenen.

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2016-12-15 om 15.19.46.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	69612 Please, give me a break.....

Comment

Working...
                X