Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Need help: is my compact 7ES broken ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help: is my compact 7ES broken ?

Hi,

I bought an used pair of compact 7ES3. Upon delivery from post office, one of the speaker has no sound, I fiddle around with speaker wire connection and it fixed the problem. Now after 2 weeks of listening, I very occasionally hear some kind cracking/leaking sound as if something is loose or not good electrical connection. Last night I was listening Bath Well tempered Clavier and the speaker that i have doubt consistently give me this cracking sound. Initially I suspect that there is the connection problem, so here is what I tried:

1. swap left/right speaker connection -- same
    2. take the banana plug connector out on the speaker cable and connect to the post directly the bare wire - same
    3. Tried another speaker cable- same
    4. Bring another set of speaker and use the same setup -- there is no cracking sound

This morning I tried it again with same setup: on the first track, the problem seems go away. But after a while when I play the next track, it comes back again and pretty consistent. I almost feel that there is a loose connection inside the speaker somewhere and it gets loose after some vibration.

Can someone give me some idea what may go wrong ?

Thanks

{Moderator's comment: have you spoken with your supplied about this first before posting here? What did they say? Are these new or used? Is the Warranty registered? How old are they?}

Buying second hand

Originally posted by maple-k330 View Post
    Hi,

I bought an used pair of compact 7ES3.

{Moderator's comment: have you spoken with your supplied about this first before posting here? What did they say? Are these new or used? Is the Warranty registered? How old are they?}
    Planet of Sound in Ottawa should be able to provide you with some help on this as they are the Canadian distributor for Harbeth. As the speakers were purchased used, no warranty would be available.

Buying speakers used is always taking a bit of a risk. Hopefully its nothing serious.

Comment

Warranty? Claimed in perfect condition?

I bought this used. The guy who sell this to me claims that it is in perfect working condition. Not sure about warranty registration but I do have the certificate and serial number. Will check with the local vendor about warranty status (I guess I just need to provide a serial number) ?

Comment

Buying second hand .... a lesson?

Originally posted by Don Leman View Post
        Planet of Sound in Ottawa should be able to provide you with some help on this as they are the Canadian distributor for Harbeth. As the speakers were purchased used, no warranty would be available.

Buying speakers used is always taking a bit of a risk. Hopefully its nothing serious.
        Thanks, Don. I learned my lesson. Will contact planet of sound today.

Comment

Warranty is not transferrable it seems

This speaker is bought new from Toronto Harbeth dealer new about a year ago, according to the seller. Called the planet of sound Ottawa and they asked me to talk to the toronto dealer. They don't do any repair but they can recommend audio shops. Called the Canadian distributor in Toronto and I was told that the warranty is not transferable, still waiting for a response on exact history of the speaker if there is anything they can help with. This is quite a set back to me.

Comment

Fix yourself may be an option?

Your description sounds like simple connection problem between rear terminals and network circuit board. Do you have the tools/skills/interest/time to open the speakers and attempt diagnosis/repair yourself?

The Warranty situation is clear and on this HUG. As you are the second user there is no warranty for you so if you can make a self-diagnosis and repair you will not alter the warranty position as it has expired already.

It is rare to see Harbeth on the used market. Harbeth is usually the last speaker system the owner will buy. When you see it second hand you have to ask yourself 'why?'.

Comment

Legitimate Reasons for the Used Harbeth Market

Originally posted by HUG-1 View Post
              When you see it second hand you have to ask yourself 'why?'.
              There may be many legitimate reasons. Downsizing, job loss, upgrade to newer Harbeth model, etc. I'm very much in favour of the second-hand market. Anything that encourages re-use has to be a good principle. It's only a significant risk to the buyer if s/he chooses not to meet the seller personally beforehand.
              Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

Thanks for all suggestions. Just an update: the speaker is fixed at a local repair shop. After we take out the back panel, we re-solder the critical solder joints on PCB and also improved the binder post electrical contact.

The seller claims that the speaker runs perfectly before packaging. I don't have strong reason to not believe him as he has good feedback. The only explanation is that the stress of shipping push it to the edge.

I totally agree with BAS-H about buying/selling used. Personally this will be my last set of speaker (my previous speaker costs 1/10th lasts me 17 years).

{Moderator's comment: We checked the records. These speakers were made nearly three years ago so someone is kidding someone. We cannot recall a faulty crossover in 25+ years of production and we consider our assembly work to be of the highest quality ex-factory. Picture of crossover to follow later.}
                Last edited by maple-k330; 31-05-2011, 06:03 PM. Reason: remove comments that's not factual and only guessing

Comment

Close-ups of crossovers ex-Harbeth

All crossovers made in the last ten years or so by the same three people should look like this ex-Harbeth. If they don't then they've been modified after production.

Points to note:

1] Solder resist (dark areas) to prevent short-circuits top and bottom
                  2] Gold plated visible circuit islands
                  3] Double-sided pcb
                  4] Reinforced links to bond top surface to bottom surface and to guarantee electrical contact around binding posts
                  5] Tie-wraps to hold heavy components in-place

Not shown ~~~ QC sticker, signed, after electrical and visual pass and finally hot glue applied all over to prevent rattles and buzzes.

This is a luxury job.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Modified Harbeth?

{Moderator's comment: We checked the records. These speakers were made nearly three years ago so someone is kidding someone. We cannot recall a faulty crossover in 25+ years of production and we consider our assembly work to be of the highest quality ex-factory. Picture of crossover to follow later.}
                    Dear Mod:

Not sure what's going on. The fact of matter is: one of the speaker shows signs of bad electrical connection and cracking sound, and after the repair work I mentioned above the problem goes away. It could be that whoever I bought the speaker from opened the case and did some modification. I have no way to tell.

For my speaker, the big inductors on the crossover are exposed (did not have the black wrap), and I'm not sure about whether I see the cable tie. Unfortunately the local dealer in Ottawa does not have interest to take a look of the speaker and that's why they referred me to the 3rd party repair shop. I would love to have an authorized Harbeth personnel to confirm for me if there is some modification done on it.

Comment

Second hand...

Originally posted by BAS-H View Post
                      There may be many legitimate reasons. Downsizing, job loss, upgrade to newer Harbeth model, etc. I'm very much in favour of the second-hand market. Anything that encourages re-use has to be a good principle. It's only a significant risk to the buyer if s/he chooses not to meet the seller personally beforehand.
                      I agree with BAS-H and other members that already expressed their faith on the second-hand market.

Here in North America, there is always of everything on the used market. Audiogon is a good example. You can find everything. Many Harbeth are on the site everyday.

I guess that many people had the chance to buy a used pair, discover the brand, fall in love and be conquered for life...

Sébastien

Comment

Working...
                      X