Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Home-made videos from the designer ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK on iPad 2

Seems to work well on an iPad 2.

John

Comment

Test results so far

Very many thanks to those of you who took the trouble to reply. Without feedback we're just talking to ourselves here.

With one or two curious exceptions, it seems that we have a 'quick and dirty' video demo system that's extremely easy to create content with and replays across a wide platform. Yes, the slow video refresh rate means that sound slips out of sync but that's so common now that we seem to accept it. Also - and I think this is actually a good thing - there is a five minute per video time limit imposed by the authoring system and that encourages me to just have a bash at a subject rather than spend much time planning and editing. We'll see how it works out.

I thought we might move the camera into the drive unit assembly area (Harbeth unusually designs and builds its own woofers: most others buy from a catalogue) and let you see what goes into drive unit assembly. I doesn't employ high-tech equipment, is very labour intensive, and above all needs total human attention to very small details.

Thanks again.
      Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Hand assembled

That would be interesting indeed. True hand-assembled-in-England drive units are rare these days.

Comment

want to see this too!!!!!!!
          Harbeth M40.1-Naim NAC52-Supercap-NAP 135-CDS2-XPS

Comment

Seeing the assembly area would be fascinating

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
            I thought we might move the camera into the drive unit assembly area (Harbeth unusually designs and builds its own woofers: most others buy from a catalogue) and let you see what goes into drive unit assembly. I doesn't employ high-tech equipment, is very labour intensive, and above all needs total human attention to very small details.

Thanks again.
            That would be fascinating Alan! Really looking forward to seeing how Harbeth make the magic happen.

Comment

Really interested by this A.S.
              Thanks for exploring these areas with us.
              Jim

Comment

More efforts to produce TechTalk videos

The discussion about which-amp-which-speaker which has worn my typing fingers to mere stubs and reminds me that if I actually showed you, looking over my shoulder as I design, what precautions I take to ensure that the impedance load the speaker presents to the amp is benign, this may hopefully allay any needless anxiety. You say that some other speaker designers create loudspeakers that present a difficult load to their driving amplifier. As I don't read hifi magazines I have to take your word for it - but why audio equipment manufacturers would want to put avoidable financial hurdles between themselves and prospective customers I don't understand.

So today, we internally discussed devoting more effort to the TechTalk video section. Are there any subjects which could be covered in no more than 5 minute bites that you'd like to see here? Suggestion list ....

1) The difficulty of achieving a target (flat?) loudspeaker frequency response whilst offering an easy electrical load to the driving amplifier
                2) ....

(Whilst you are thinking about this, here is an unrelated explanation video I recently made for Victoria, or personal fitness trainer, who is limbering-up to making a series of Harbeth exercise videos. She's gamely offered to do all the editing, and just needed a little help to get her going. These same desktop-recording facilities I'll use to make our new TechTalks - very quick and easy for us to use - see here.)
                Alan A. Shaw
                Designer, owner
                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Difficult speaker load is a badge of honour?

I really don't believe that many speaker manufacturers give much of a thought to designing an easy load. In fact, some wear it like a badge when their speakers need massive, expensive amps to give of their best.

Bit like having an ASBO - it should be shameful but some treat it like an award !!!

Comment

SME's example

Originally posted by GregD View Post
                    That would be fascinating Alan! Really looking forward to seeing how Harbeth make the magic happen.
                    British turntable company, SME, have done that kind of video. You can find them on Youtube. I found them very interesting and helpful to understand the building of such beautiful turntables.

Sébastien

Comment

Working...
                    X