Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Home-made videos from the designer ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home-made videos from the designer ....

They say 'a picture speaks a thousand words'? And perhaps a video even more. And both save a lot of keyboard bashing!

Thanks to modern technology I'm able to very quickly author videos of the mysterious world of speaker design. Normally, I'd like to spend time perfecting the lighting, sound, composition, background etc. etc. to make a more professional video. But I really have to be 'doing the day job' so may I ask you in advance to forgive the 'quick and dirty' (some would say exceedingly unprofessional) DIY nature of these videos. Yes, if I had more time we could employ a film crew etc. etc.. These are unedited, single takes (unless I just cannot remember my lines), mono. As a very long term user of SnagIt I am using Techsmith's Screencast trusted hosting platform (not YouTube*).

So please just accept these for what they are. I only hope that they are not so amateurish that you develop negative vibes about the Harbeth brand. If you do they'll disappear very rapidly!

Here is Video 1: A test.

Can you confirm that this MPEG4 will play with sound on the pc and MAC - and even Android?

* The copyright in Screencast videos remains with the author.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

OK on Mac

Works fine for me on a Mac.

Comment

OK on iPad

Works on my iPad, picture is a bit jumpy, but sound is fine.

George

Comment

Despite everything - OK on Mac!

Hi Alan,
        Video works good on the Mac,(Firefox).

Where is the makeup artist? :))

Cheers,
        Noel.

Comment

Win 7 /Firefox

It played fine under Windows 7 using Firefox 6.0.2. I liked the vintage Radio-Gramophone ad.

Comment

Everything ok on Macbook

Hi Alan,

I was able to see and listen to the video perfectly via my Macbook.

Sébastien

Comment

Win 7 OK - 'Show me' better than 'tell me'

Works fine on my Windows 7 HP laptop.

I think these videos are a great idea - 'show me' is often better than 'tell me'.

Look forward to many more!

Comment

Mac OSX - Flash?

Works on Mac OSX, both Safari and Firefox. Does not work on iPad/iPhone due to Flash.

{Moderator's comment: we deliberately chose MPEG4 not Flash. As far as we know no Flash is used.}

Comment

Blackberry OK

Works perfectly on the Blackberry Playbook.

Comment

Note to Noel

Originally posted by skylan View Post
                    Hi Alan,
                    Video works good on the Mac,(Firefox).

Where is the makeup artist? :))

Cheers,
                    Noel.
                    Noel. Thanks for the stands for my C7's. Just put them together on Saturday. They're prefect and look beautiful.

Don Nickason - Penfield NY

Comment

OK on old MacBook pro

Works perfectly on my old MacBook Pro.

Comment

OK Win7 64bit Opera and FF

Seems to work here on Win7 64-bit, with Opera 11.52 and Firefox 7.0.1

Comment

All good on Win XP pro but not on Android phone

Works fine here too Alan. Win XP pro (Firefox).

Couldn'd get it to work on Sony Ericsson X8 Android phone.

{Moderator's comment: anyone else tried on Android?}

Comment

Galaxy S2, Android OK

Just watched the video thru my Samsung galaxy S2 (android OS) and ok. Appreciate.
                            "Bath with Music"

Comment

Fine on Win7 / IE9

Works fine on Win7 with IE9 .. :)

I'm with Noel .. how about that make up artist ?? ! haha.

Sound is very clear.. let me guess, you monitored it on Harbeths ??? <wink>

Comment

Working...
                              X