Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Designing speakers in and for small rooms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing speakers in and for small rooms

Many times over the years I have been asked "can we come and listen to Harbeth speakers in your companies listening room - I imagine that it is a really big room with perfect acoustics and lots of state-of-the-art electronics and wall treatment ...".

Not so! We live in the real world here! Although we have two quasi-anechoic measurement spaces just a few miles away in the countryside, all the voicing and real-room adjustment is done at home in a small room (of about 3 x 4m) which I call my 'study'. My thinking has always been that if we can make these speakers sound great in this perfectly normal room listening in the hyper-critical relative nearfield, then they will work perfectly in similar or larger rooms.

Since this size is about that of a BBC editing room, and also very typical of listening space in the Far East, I think it is the correct way to design and may well explain why the Harbeth sound is so comfortable in real homes.

I've also been asked "what type of music do you listen to when designing or evaluating speakers? How long do you listen for? What type of test equipment/test signals do you use? How fast do you work - is the design or evaluation process short or long? Do you find yourself going round in circles? etc. etc." (Answer an emphatic 'yes' to that last question!)
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Re: Designing speakers in and for small rooms

Hi Alan,
    Are there any difference on room or acoustic condition for designing domestic and monitor series?
    Kevin

Comment

Re: Designing speakers in and for small rooms

Originally posted by kevint
      Are there any difference on room or acoustic condition for designing domestic and monitor series?
      None at all: the "Harbeth sound" is the "Harbeth sound" regardless of the product naming.
      Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
      X