Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

How to safely remove the grilles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to safely remove the grilles

Originally posted by Pluto View Post
    Provided you do it in the privacy of your own home, fair enough - it's just that in thirty years of owning and using high quality speakers both personally and professionally, I have never felt a need to examine the cones of a speaker system that is giving no sonic cause for concern. Neither do I see any great aesthetic beauty in speaker cones - not even Harbeth RADIALs - that necessitates the removal of the grille for any reason other than the simple fashion for "exposing" the technology.
    there are times, honestly, i admire the sound only , not the cone to be honest but after my harbeths arrived home, i really 'wanted' to take a look at the drivers sure to confirm they are in goo shape. I have a pair of old harbeth where the tweeters were depressed by naughty kids at home and therefore I am kind of ....... always check these things and konwing the grille and is soft.....i hope you understand.

Comment

Noel Nolan of Skylan has devised a great little tool to open the grilles of the Harbeths. Drop him a note...

Comment

Yes, we already covered that here in my posting of 14 Jan 09 ....

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...=4281#post4281
        Alan A. Shaw
        Designer, owner
        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

I have my own way to do it.http://www.jd-bbs.com/viewthread.php...hlight=harbeth

Comment

When I first learned of this grille removal tool, I didn't think too much about it. After all Harbeth spearkers are designed to be listened to with the grilles on. Occasionally though I would get people over who would want to see the drive units and I felt a little uncomfortable telling them the grilles were hard to remove and just showing them a picture.

After a couple of conversations with Noel (he's a nice guy), he offered to send me one to try out. It arrived last week and I've got to tell you this is one nice toy. Not only does it look good, its fun to use. Now I look for opportunities to show off those terrific looking RADIAL drivers.

Noel says he can make them up for about $22 Cdn which includes shipping. So buy one for your wife... tell her its the ultimate fridge magnet, then borrow it once and a while when you have your buddies over.

I'm attaching some updated pictures of it with my old HL P3ES-2's.

Don
            West Coast Audio
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Don Leman; 02-09-2009, 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Question 1:
              If you have your speaker amplifier turned ON while you apply the magnets are you damaging any components in the speaker?

Question 2:
              If you have your speaker amplifier turned OFF while you apply the magnets are you damaging any components in the speaker?

Question 3:
              Will the damage be temporary or permanent?

Comment

No need to worry about the Puller's magnets interfering with the speakers. It doesn't matter if the speakers are off or on. But be sure that the Puller doesn't touch any part of the speaker other than the grille's steel frame. Keep away from the tweeter and woofer and cabinet work!
                Harbeth PR,
                Harbeth UK

Comment

A little protruding object

Hi Alan/Harbeth PR,

I have recently acquired a SHL5. I have every intention of keeping the grille on but as a new owner one would naturally like to take a look inside - to admire the beauty of it and for inspection for damages (ok I understand your speakers must have gone through thorough quality inspection but all the same...).

I have another reason for my curiosity - about one-fourth down from the top (probably around where the tweeter is) there is a little object protruding and touching the grille. It does not seem to vibrate (I did not dare touching it directly). This protruding thing can be seen on both L/R speakers at the same place.

I would just like to have assurance that it's part of the speaker design. Thank you.

with best regards,
                  ck chan

{Moderator's comment: it would be helpful if you could measure how many cms down from the top of the grille this object is .....}

Comment

The object is about 15.5cm from the top edge of the wood.

Comment

Dome tweeter

Originally posted by C K Chan View Post
                      I would just like to have assurance that it's part of the speaker design.
                      Hi CK Chan, think its the dome of the tweeter you're noticing. It does touch the surface of the cloth. Its perfectly natural and normal.

Comment

Main tweeter

Originally posted by kittykat View Post
                        Hi CK Chan, think its the dome of the tweeter you're noticing. It does touch the surface of the cloth. Its perfectly natural and normal.
                        Thank you very much for your explanation, Kittykat. My next question will betray the fact that I am no "audiophile" (I just enjoy listening to music and I do now with the Harbeths and that's good enough for me), is the doom not a moving part and therefore it should not be in contact with the cloth? Perhaps the answer is obvious but I would be grateful for clarification.

With regards,
                        C K Chan

{Moderator's comment: to be clear it is the protective grille over the main tweeter.}

Comment

Actually 15cms or so from the top wood is the protective mesh grille over the main tweeter.
                          Alan A. Shaw
                          Designer, owner
                          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Removing grilles

Hi everyone,

I want to share an experience I had while removing my SHL5 grills for the first time. Even if I used Noel's tool from Skylan stand and go very gently, I unfortunately made a small chip on the veneer of an inside corner of one of my speaker. So be CAREFULL! I was curious and meticulous like everyone but this happen...

After this happen, I glue that chip on and it's now almost invisible and so small. That was the last time I remove the grill from that speaker.

Sebastien

Comment

Grilles

Originally posted by Sebastien View Post
                              That was the last time I remove the grill from that speaker.
                              Sebastien
                              Hi CK Chan, yes, as Moderator and Mr. Shaw describe it more correctly, it is the mesh (non moving) over the aluminium tweeter surface (moving) which is in contact with the cloth, so it’s does not “affect” the sound in any way. Its perfectly all right.

Sebastien, Ive almost perfected a way of removing the grilles without any tools or potential damage, and hope this works for you.

1. Run the tips of your fingers right around the cloth of the rectangular grille frame of the SHL5’s where it protrudes ever so slightly from the bevelled edge. Do this a few times with your eyes closed. There will always be a spot where it is slightly further out than other parts and this will be your starting point.

2. At this area where it protrudes so slightly, with the tips of your fingers, try to edge it out but only just very slightly. It will yield just a little but please don’t try to “pull it out” in one go. Its physically impossible as it is a fairly long edge sitting in a tight groove. Look at it as trying to “raise” the frame in equal deliberate measures a bit at a time starting from the original position. The grille should never be removed at an angle, eg. yanking it at one point while another is still sitting in the groove. If someone does this, there will surely be damage to the cabinet as the grille edge sits in quite tightly.

It is a very clever piece of engineering which does away with bits and bolts of ugly hardware. We are left with the beautiful Harbeth cabinet.

Comment

Grille

Thank you for all the replies.

Now I know the mesh is not going to get in the way I am quite content. I am making inquiries if Noel of Skylan is still sending that little magnetic tool - if so I would still like to open the grille for a close up look. At present I can only do that at the dealer's and that is not my pair.

By the way, my dealer does not seem to be very educated about the grille; one of the staffer said there was a belt or something in the middle part of the frame which one could pull on but there would be risk of warping the frame. Of course I did not try.

Best,
                                Ck chan

Comment

Working...
                                X