Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

How to safely remove the grilles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to safely remove the grilles

Alan,

I know they are supposed to be left on while listening, but i really would like to open it up to see those beautiful Radial. It has been 2 weeks since my C7 ES3 arrived at my home.

I saw people suggested using paper clips in another thread which i could not figure out how it works, i could get one clip in and when i pull it , it seems so tight that i will not come out or do i need to make use of 2 ?

How do you remove them at Harbeth/ yourself? it seems very tightly fitted.

I promise to put i back for listening. its like if you bought a Jaguar, surely one would want to open the bonnet to have a look.

Thanks !

SH

Re: How to safely remove the grilles

Please email me privately with the serial numbers of your Compact 7s please.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

OK, we've hunted down the best paper clip following the great suggestions from our users and plan to make a little video of this for release here over the next week or so. Remember: we recommend that your Harbeth grilles are left on, but if you insist in removing them, this tool may be needed. If the grilles come off easily themselves, you do not need this tool.

In the meantime, here is a picture of the tool with dimensions. We recommend the brass clip compared to the standard shiny steel one, as it is stiffer and is also a little thicker. These are sold as "large brass paperclips" in a packet of 50. You will need a pair of pliars to make the 7mm bend. Note, this 7mm needs to be accurately made.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN USING TOOLS. ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR EYES.
      Attached Files
      Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Front cloth covers

Can front cloth covers of my new Compact 7-ES be removed? I have Tigerwood and I would like to be able to see it from front.

Comment

Alan,

Great stuff ! How many of these do I need to prepare?

and looking forward for the video.

SH

Comment

Hi everyone

well I got off my covers on my 7's with a pair of needle point pliers covered in electrical tape. I promptly put them back on.

Alan isn't kidding when he say they sound better with the grills on! Off they sound less coherent, less integrated and slightly brighter. On they sound perfect.

Thanks again for an amazing product.

Best Wishes
            Andrew

Comment

Waiting for the video, I just want to remove them sometimes to clean in inside part.

Comment

Originally posted by Hu View Post
                Waiting for the video, I just want to remove them sometimes to clean in inside part.
                attack from the corner. align the modified clip thru the tiny gap at the top corner, slowly pull it out a millimeter by a millimeter

Comment

Special tool for removing grilles

Noel at Skylan has invented an ingenious tool for removing even tight grilles. He's made a prototype which he's demonstrated on this little video I made at CES Jan 09. The removal tool is called the Syklan "Grille Remova".

If there is any serious interest in this he will consider selling it at a reasonable price in a final form. Only one piece is required per pair of speakers as once one corner has been pulled out, you can reposition the tool on another corner and work around the speaker pulling each corner individually if needed.

Attached Files
                  Alan A. Shaw
                  Designer, owner
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Re: Special tool for removing grilles

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                    Noel at Skylan has invented an ingenious tool for removing even tight grilles. He's made a prototype which he's demonstrated on this little video I made at CES Jan 09. The removal tool is called the Syklan "Grille Remova".

If there is any serious interest in this he will consider selling it at a reasonable price in a final form. Only one piece is required per pair of speakers as once one corner has been pulled out, you can reposition the tool on another corner and work around the speaker pulling each corner individually if needed.

Seriously, if I have to buy an accessories to open the bonnet or boot of my Jaguar, I would not even consider owning a Jaguar in the first place.

Comment

We've tried to be helpful to our users. I'm sorry that we can't satisfy this user who states in his profile that he is a Harbeth owner. A considerable amount of thought and effort has gone into this with two solutions presented here.

I recall that we have mentioned here quite frequently that all Harbeth speakers are actually designed to be used with the grille on. This may be counter-intuitive but that's how we work. I guess removing the grille could be alikened to driving that Jaguar with the bonnet removed and the motor exposed. There are always methods for opening the bonnet ....
                      Harbeth PR,
                      Harbeth UK

Comment

Re: Special tool for removing grilles

Originally posted by feuilly View Post
                        Seriously, if I have to buy an accessories to open the bonnet or boot of my Jaguar, I would not even consider owning a Jaguar in the first place.
                        Removal of a speaker grille isn't so much akin to opening the bonnet of your Jaguar, it's more like removing the crankcase. While you might have an innate desire to run the engine with the crankcase off so you can admire the wonderful crankshaft and beautiful valve gear, you know it would be unwise to do so.

It's only fashion and fascination that drives you to remove the grille of loudspeakers - that and the fact that some makers seem incapable of producing an acoustically transparent grille. In most environments, the protection afforded by the grille, against accidents that can damage fragile cones - even beautiful RADIAL ones, is rather valuable.

Which sounds better - a grille that's a little too tight (when new) or one that's a little too loose?

Comment

I think most harbeth users knew that they should use the speakers with grille on while most of us want to take it off to look at the cones, be it for inspect for damages for simple admire how they look. its not unresonable.

forget the bonnet /boot thing, we can agrue here all day. we are looking at speakers and grille.

if design call for such tight fit that it can't be removed by the average owners (safely), i suggest it would be good to let the buyer konw by stating this fact in the owner manual perhaps? mention only offical dealer with office Harbeth tools should be opening it?

and the best is a free grille opening tool with new speakers sold? if the cost isn't silly?

i would pay up to 10 quid for the tool myself.

Comment

'Knocking copy' in an audio democracy?

I think that this thread of late proves one valuable lesson (to us/me). There really is no place in this User Group, run by and managed by Harbeth UK, for public comments along the lines "I wouldn't buy Harbeth for this reason .....". They simply don't contribute to the general goodwill accumulated here - especially when they come from users who state in their profile that they do own Harbeth!

The purchase of hi-fi equipment is a democracy: the user is free to select from between hundreds or thousands of brands. Personally I think that 'knocking copy' has but one long term effect: it makes us as the designers/manufacturer more cautious about what we say, what we reveal, what we admit to, what we offer as solutions to inevitable issues that crop up from time to time. In short, it motivates us to do what other corporations do: admit nothing; blame the user. Surely that's not want you want or expect from me or from Harbeth? Wouldn't you want us to remain open? If so, then we have to very lightly intervene here from time to time to keep the overall tone here positive as it has been these past years.
                            Alan A. Shaw
                            Designer, owner
                            Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Originally posted by shseto View Post
                              ...most of us want to take it off to look at the cones...
                              Provided you do it in the privacy of your own home, fair enough - it's just that in thirty years of owning and using high quality speakers both personally and professionally, I have never felt a need to examine the cones of a speaker system that is giving no sonic cause for concern. Neither do I see any great aesthetic beauty in speaker cones - not even Harbeth RADIALs - that necessitates the removal of the grille for any reason other than the simple fashion for "exposing" the technology.

Comment

Working...
                              X