Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Sub Woofers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Woofers

This is not particularly a Harbeth question, Alan, but I would value your technical opinions, as I am sure others would.

Having moved my main system to a house in Cyprus I have for the present cobbled together something for a UK flat I will occupy a few moths a year.

I have a Quad 77 CD Player and Tuner with the 77 Integrated Amp driving an old pair of Goodman's Maxim IIs. Not great. I add in a KEF PSW 2500 set very discretely and immediately the stereo image and general clarity seems to improve and everything is a good deal less strained.

Am I fooling myself that I hear improvements that are more than more bass?

What's going on?

When using a much more modern a higher quality speaker like the P3 does a good, well adjusted sub make contributions to system clarity beyond raw bass extension?

Most of the energy in the human voice and obviously music too is concentrated in the middle frequencies. It's hard to imagine that improving/adjusting either end of the spectrum (the lowest or the highest frequencies) will have any real effect on the middle frequencies. As stated again recently, the cone material defines the quality of reproduction. we can't recall the Goodman Maxim 11 --- are they from the 70s? --- perhaps with paper cones? That'll be the quality limitation no matter how your ear is pulled to the low frequencies with your sub. Our guess would be that if you turn down the contribution of the sub you will return your attention to the middle/top frequencies.

Comment

Subs and removing the load from the satellites?

Originally posted by HUG-1 View Post
      Most of the energy in the human voice and obviously music too is concentrated in the middle frequencies. It's hard to imagine that improving/adjusting either end of the spectrum (the lowest or the highest frequencies) will have any real effect on the middle frequencies. As stated again recently, the cone material defines the quality of reproduction. we can't recall the Goodman Maxim 11 --- are they from the 70s? --- perhaps with paper cones? That'll be the quality limitation no matter how your ear is pulled to the low frequencies with your sub. Our guess would be that if you turn down the contribution of the sub you will return your attention to the middle/top frequencies.
      Could it be that the addition of the sub removes some of the load from the Maxims and allows them to "breathe" more? Does the KEF have a crossover which separates out the "highs"? If the sub is wired via the tape loop this could well be the case.
      Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Comment

KEF sub

The KEF Sub is driven from the Pre-out of a Quad 77 Integrated Amp. The Maxim IIs are still being driven across the full range, but, of course, they naturally roll off in the bass.

An old thread, but note the speakers in question are not Maxim Elevens ( I don't think they were ever made) but Maxim Twos. And yes, the bass-mid unit has a paper cone.

Comment

Working...
        X