Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LFD released the LFD LE IV Signature Amplifier: A review

Default LFD - no remote control

Quote Originally Posted by generubin View Post
    There are a lot of great amps out there, I sell many of them. But the LFD is unique. Maybe not everyone's 1st choice, maybe only the choice of 90% of those who give it a listen.

One more funny experience I get selling LFD amps. I can't count how many people come into the shop and say, "I could never have an amp without remote control, but please, could I give the LFD a listen just for fun?". Twenty minutes later I typically hear, "On second thought, who really needs a remote?", as they walk out the door with their new LFD. Usually a pair of Harbeth Compact 7 es3, already in the trunk of their car.
    I can attest to Gene's experience. I have tried half a dozen amps with the SHL5s before listening to the LFD LEIII in my system. The minute when the LEIII was fired up from cold, this small little cracker of an amp blew away all my previous amps, one which include a pre/power amp combination which costs 3X more than the LEIII. In this sense, I am not too surprised to hear about an industry expert who traded in his $54,000 preamp/amp combination for an NCSE.

I would have settled for the LEIII if not because of my minor gripe on the lack of remote control with the amp. I got the Rega Elicit hoping it would sound close to the LEIII with added features of a remote control but found out later that it was a big mistake instead. The LFD LEIII is certainly unique and one of a kind although some folks may prefer others(Luxman, Naim etc).

If the LEIV is an improvement over the LEIII the unit would be something really special.

Default Lfd ncse

I have been 'baby sitting' my friend's LFD NCSE on and off and found that after a long break-in period (wherein I initially felt that it was not too different from the LE3), the sound has now opened up and sounds very musical. One of the characteristic feature of LFD amplifiers is how the music is non-fatiguing! You can simply leave the music playing 24/7 with nary a hint of listener fatigue!

So, what's gonna happen when your friend wants his LFD back ?

Default LFD NCSE .... Reluctantly Return

Hi hifi_dave

Well, if my friend wants his LFD NCSE back I guess I will reluctantly have to return the amplifier to him! He is presently enamoured with a Cary 300 SEI and, being a tube guy at heart, I think he does prefer tubes to SS. In the remote chance that he does not want the NCSE, I would certainly buy it from him if the price was right!

I have listened to an Accuphase E560 (30 watts, class A) and I think the Accuphase is a step up from the NCSE. It is more refined than the NCSE but both are definitely one of the best integrateds I have had the pleasure of auditioning.

Best Regards
    Dennis

Default Ldf

he will not be able to listen to his system for 24/7 without any fatigue in this case

Default ACcuphase, LFD

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    he will not be able to listen to his system for 24/7 without any fatigue in this case
    coredump: the Accuphase E560 is also very listenable and provides for a limpid musical experience that is equally non-fatiguing (albeit the Accuphase is not an entirely 'green' product since it consumes about 170 watts even at idle). Both the LFD NCSE and the Accuphase E560 are right at the top of the integrated league table, with some preferring the NCSE while others would prefer the E560. The NCSE does not have remote and is spartan while the E560 has a slew of features, including remote.

Default Integrated (Harbeth) amp?

E560, that's a cool amplifier. I have heard many integrated like Lavardin IT, Gryphon ATILLA, kARAN KAI180 but will not place deposit for it until i hear it with my SHL5 in my room (which will never happen). Thus, will hold on and wait for the Harbeth integrate amp.. which should be cheaper.. maybe i would forget about the integrated and upgrade my CDP.

BTW, why is there so much hype on integrated ampliifier? isn't because it is the closest and only electrical-powered equipment connected to the Harbeth speaker...

{Moderator's comment: Frankly, inviting comments in an open forum on our marketing concept for the Harbeth amplifier did not give us an unambiguous green light as we expected. The discussion became waylaid by a handful of vociferous contributors into the business rights or wrongs and not as we hoped about sonic performance, features, topology, servicing, after care, durability etc. etc. So this project is unlikely to proceed.}

Default Why integrated amps?

BTW, why is there so much hype on integrated amplifier? isn't because it is the closest and only electrical-powered equipment connected to the Harbeth speaker...
    coredump: Well, there is much to be said about the simplicity of the integrated - single box, with one less power cord and interconnect - and, despite contrary views, a well designed integrated can sound just as good as a pre/power combo! I think there are many audiophiles who prefer a simple hifi rig and the integrated targets such a group of audiophiles, without compromising musicality.

To Moderator: it is a real pity that the Harbeth integrated is unlikely to proceed!

Default Harbeth amp

Quote Originally Posted by denjo View Post

<snip>...

To Moderator: it is a real pity that the Harbeth integrated is unlikely to proceed!
    Really? I did not know that.... I have a fund going for that one...

{Moderator's comment: please re-read the whole ghastly saga.}

Default The Harbeth amp - and all the hostility

BTW, why is there so much hype on integrated ampliifier? isn't because it is the closest and only electrical-powered equipment connected to the Harbeth speaker...

{Moderator's comment: Frankly, inviting comments in an open forum on our marketing concept for the Harbeth amplifier did not give us an unambiguous green light as we expected. The discussion became waylaid by a handful of vociferous contributors into the business rights or wrongs and not as we hoped about sonic performance, features, topology, servicing, after care, durability etc. etc. So this project is unlikely to proceed.}
    Chanced upon this thread - and remembered the late Peter Walker, one time Quad designer/owner description of the perfect amplifier - straight wire with gain, or something similar. And all that I have read on this forum after joining it.

Beyond a certain price point, that should be quite low now with the standardization, reliability and pricing of electronic parts, not much should be audible as a difference in an AxB comparison with just a change to amplifier A of a similar power output from amplifier B? Or from amplifier A mark 1 and its mark 2 model?

Default Reconsider the amp project?

Any chance you'd reconsider and think about floating the concept again? I think contributors to the HUG have learned a lot since then - I know I have. And with moderation, you have a means of controlling the discussion somewhat if it threatens to go off the rails.

And don't forget, there were a lot of positive reactions as well. Perhaps a completely unambiguous green light - while it would certainly be nice - is a bit much to expect?

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    Any chance you'd reconsider and think about floating the concept again? ...
    No I don't think so. The whole idea has a bad taste to it now. Maybe when some more water has flowed ....
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Harbeth amp

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    No I don't think so. The whole idea has a bad taste to it now. Maybe when some more water has flowed ....
    well, when the customer wanted a bi-wiring post at the back of the speaker, different veneer for the speaker, limited edition of Harbeth speaker with better cabling, Harbeth responded. Why not a harbeth integrated amplifier to pair with it? I'm waiting patiently

MikeH Guest

Default "Bass slam" - in a passive preamp? Really?

Hello all, I am new to this forum so bear with me.

Having read the thread I am still amazed on how subjective amplifiers are: we all have different takes on how things sound - I think we should try to accept that. One listeners view is as good as another: it not necessarly right or wrong, just different. As long as a piece of equipment gives all frequencies equal amplification with nothing added, it is as good as any other that does the same.

Why the short rant: I haven't heard of LFD before and looked around a bit to see what te fuss is about and came across this quote from Richard Bews of LFD "The tonal balance of passive preamplifiers are typically not sonically correct (lacking in bass slam, but are often open and transparent), and this bass slam deficiency would need to be addressed."

Being an electronic engineer for some years, a ' passiive' amplifier (what a incongruous term that is) is simply an attenuator and providing you have no impedance mismatches all should be hunky dory from DC up to several hundred kHz: if not we have all been under an illusion for the last hundred years or so. So where does 'bass slam' come into the linear attenuation equation.

I still get the impression that the' emperor's new clothes' syndrome is being touted here.

Happy listening

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12