Thread: Break-in time for P3ESR?

Default Break-in time for P3ESR?

Hello there

I'm new to this forum so my apologies if this question has been asked and answered before. I'm the owner of a brand new pair of lovely rosewood P3ESRs (bought today) and straight out of the box, the speakers sound great - lively and detailed on the end of my Naim pre-amp and 2 monoblocks.

What I'd like to know is how long is the average break-in time before they reach their full potential? (Despite the power I have on tap, I don't play loud at all - no more than 8-8.30 on the volume knob).

Thanks very much and congratulations on building a fine product.

Default P3ESR break-in = zero

I needed no break in time for my P3ESR (or my C7ES3).

Default P3ESR break-in

Everyone has an opinion about this for sure and I have one as well ! I thought these speakers sounded great out of the box but have noticed better bass fullness as the months have progressed. Since I do not get nearly as much listening time as I would like , I imagine the process would have taken weeks if not less to fully ripen. One of the most amazing speakers I have ever owned period !
    Special Agent
    Lorpuris

honmanm Guest

Default Just a few hours burn-in is necessary

There is some measure of break-in as the suspension gets used (Mr Shaw has posted on this - IIRC it's the spider that undergoes some change, and that occurs in the first few hours of use).

However in the case of our own P3ESRs I can't really say that there was a noticeable break-in. There was definitely a period of *my* adjustment to the change in presentation from the 1990's HL-P3s that I had been borrowing, and also progressive changes in positioning of the speakers where the effects were bigger than whatever was going on in terms of break-in.

Experiment with positioning of the speakers, "comfy chair", and other objects in the room for the best sound.

Default P3ESR sounds good straight out of the box ....

Many thanks for the replies.

I've just read Alan Shaw's thread on burning-in - very interesting theories! For many speaker brands (notably in my experience Spendor and Dynaudio which could require up to 100 hours or running-in) a lengthy break-in is recommended. In the P3ESR's case (or Harbeth's case maybe) , after listening for about 3 hours now, I think Alan is right - only minimal running-in is required. They sounded very very good straight out of the box, certainly larger than their size would suggest.

Thanks again.

Default P3ESR tonally beautiful

A quick update - I've used the P3ESRs extensively over the weekend and found a noticeable and gradual improvement in the bass and overall responsiveness along the way.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the biggest leap in performance came after about 12 hours of playing at low-to-moderate levels.

Great speaker, I'd have to say. Beautiful tonal balance and they work very well with my Naim amps.

Default Break-in is in the mind!

I am finding similar improvements in the voicing of my new C7s. But if the designer of the speaker says that it is not going to be from the speaker that this change is coming in any physical way that can be perceived, then I have to accept that it is in the mind.

Which does not mean that it is imaginary...wrong word...it is imaginary, but all reality is only perception of each person's five senses any way, so that does not mean that the improvement isn't real to me. As it would be to everyone, I imagine.