Thread: Floorstanding speaker?

adinoto Guest

Default Floorstanding speaker?

I read in TAS that Harbeth has a new "untiteled" floorstanding in CES 2006.
    Maybe Alan can spill the bean and tell us further about this speaker?

Default Re: New floorstanding speaker

It's no secret that (under pressure from the ladies) I have been experimenting with this tower concept for some years. I have now gathered enough experience of how these big boxes work in-room to be aware of the mountain of design issues that have to be attended to make a truly Harbeth-worth tower. In the meantime, my R&D workload is fully defined fo the next six months.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

renanj Guest

Default New Harbeth Model

This is for AS. Is it true there is a new Harbeth model in the works? I read about this in one of the US audio magazines where the reviewer had just visited the CES 2006 tradeshow and saw a new Harbeth model. Can you enlighten us?

Default Re: New Harbeth Model

Please refer to my comments in the above thread. You are doubtless referring to the same magazine report.

If I can caution you about "leaks" - although as I have actually demonstrated the concept speaker at CES it can hardly be described as a trade secret can it - but the timing of new products is a very important took in the marketing strategy of a manufacturing company.

Apple Computer (iPod etc.) are the masters of that game. Conversely, it was Dudley Harwood's premature announcement of the TPX based Harbeth HL Mk4 (in about 1984) that greatly harmed his sales: Audax took one year to deliver the new technology bass units they'd promised him in which time the sales of the polypropylene based Mk3 dried up. When I took over in 1986 there really wasn't a company, entirely due to the unavailability of this all-critical part. You'll understand my determination to make our own (RADIAL) driver as soon as we could to have a secure supply position. Thank goodness we did.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK