Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Eucalyptus - the most musical speaker I've owned

Thumbs up Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Eucalyptus - the most musical speaker I've owned

After owned several brand Hi-End speaker from Hansen Audio The Prince V2, Kharma CRM3.2FE, Dunlavy SC-5, Nola Viper Reference, Audio Physic Avanti III, Vienna Acoustics Mahler&Grand Mozard, ATC SCM11&19, Totem Model1Sig, Xavian Mia&XN250, Eggleston Isabel, JmLab Electra, Usher Dancer 8571BE, Magnepan MG1.6&3.6, Stirling LS3/5a V2, Genelec 8050a etc my new Harbeth speaker is the most musical.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Took you a while to get there but well done.

Default Plinius with Harbeth

Hi Ysuryadi,

Welcom to the HUG. I've seen your previous setup in the Audiogon.

The Prince V2 was your last speaker driven by Plinius. With the room space you have, M40.1 would be better and you don't need the subs.

Have tried plinius with harbeth?

Default Not surprised your C7s most musical ....

Wow what a track record of hyper high end speakers there....but i am not in the least surprised that your C7 is the most musical of them all. With the exception of the Genelec 8050A, i have heard all the rest.

Some were very awful sounding to the point of being unbearable.

Default Nice room

Nice room size you have there :-o and nice colour balance you have on your pictures :-)

Not yet Jmohd but I'll try someday because my Plinius sold out before I got C7

Default Most 'hi-end' speakers = hi-end price, low-end sound

Harbeth = musical and wonderful...finally you are into the music...good choice

In today market, most so called hi-end speakers are hi-end in price, low-end in making music...
    "Bath in Music"

Yes I agree with u

Only 4m wide and 5.5m long

Default Finally into the music (C7ES3)

Quote Originally Posted by keithwwk View Post
    Harbeth = musical and wonderful...finally you are into the music...good choice

In today market, most so called hi-end speakers are hi-end in price, low-end in making music...
    That's true bro.

Thumbs up Harbeth with single mosfet

Try McIntosh MC275 mkV but no enough power to drive C7 so upgrade to GamuT M250 mk3 with single mosfet technology the performance better than tube and bipolar amp

Default Cables as coils?

Hi ysuryadi.

In the fourth picture I see a yellow cable behind the amp in 5 or 6 rounds. Making rounds in a signal cable (if it is a signal cable) may cause problems -I think- at some frequencies (acts like a coil?). Maybe someone who knows better can give some advice...

Default Cable in coil loops

Yes I'll cut the wire so not round like a coil
    Quote Originally Posted by Takis View Post
    Hi ysuryadi.

In the fourth picture I see a yellow cable behind the amp in 5 or 6 rounds. Making rounds in a signal cable (if it is a signal cable) may cause problems -I think- at some frequencies (acts like a coil?). Maybe someone who knows better can give some advice...
    {Moderator's comment: if you do the maths you will see that inductance is related to the number of loops of a coil. Two or three loops will have zero inductance. You would need a few hundred turns to measure any magnetic effect. I wouldn't worry about this at all. Studios often have microphones connected via huge drums of cable.}

Default Another myth busted about cables and coils

.....{Moderator's comment: if you do the maths you will see that inductance is related to the number of loops of a coil. Two or three loops will have zero inductance. You would need a few hundred turns to measure any magnetic effect. I wouldn't worry about this at all. Studios often have microphones connected via huge drums of cable.}
    Thanks for clearing another myth. I have read in many places about interconnects shouldn't touch each other and speaker wires shouldn't coil but I couldn't tell any difference in the sound quality. Yet, I am still guilty of going thru extra effort to separate all cables to the extend of hanging them just to be "audiophilely" (is there such word?) correct.

But it is still a good practice to keep the wires away from power source.

ST

Default Inductance of coil

A coil of wire in the air away from anything ferromagnetic is called a solenoid. Very simple maths will show you the inductance. For example here.

We put some numbers into the calculator based on our guess of the yellow wire coil. The result was a few microhenries. Even our test meter is not sensitive enough to accurately measure such a tiny inductance. That inductance may be a worry to the designer of a mobile radio working at hundreds of MHz. But it is not a relevant worry at audio frequencies. The amplifier's output will have more inductance.

Default Keep cables away from mains sources

It is common sense to keep interconnects as far away as practical from anything with mains on, as 'hum' can be induced. Also, phono stages, because of their extra gain, should be sited for lowest 'hum' pick up.

Default Avoid hum!

Try to use fully balanced component so u are safe from hum that can degrade listening pleasure from beautiful sound by Harbeth )
    Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    It is common sense to keep interconnects as far away as practical from anything with mains on, as 'hum' can be induced. Also, phono stages, because of their extra gain, should be sited for lowest 'hum' pick up.

Default Your C7ES3 setup

absolutely gorgeous. I have the same speakers, however you have a better sense for interior design than I have at the moment ;)

that looks like a comfortable leather listening chair? I have a similar seating arrangement. absolute blissful listening environment I am really impressed thanks for sharing.

warm regards,

Default Kind comments on my room

Thank's for your good comment sir )
    Quote Originally Posted by bullethead View Post
    absolutely gorgeous. I have the same speakers, however you have a better sense for interior design than I have at the moment ;)

that looks like a comfortable leather listening chair? I have a similar seating arrangement. absolute blissful listening environment I am really impressed thanks for sharing.

warm regards,

Red face Romantic arresting midrange (C7ES3)

Harbeth C7 ES-3 drive by power amp GamuT M250 mkIII and preamp VTL TL 5.5 mkII make quickness, clarity, depth of resolution, layered soundstaging, and arresting midrange depth always proved warmly involving and musically compelling.
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (129.4 KB, 164 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (134.0 KB, 121 views)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast