Thread: Stands for P3ESR

Default Stands for P3ESR

When I purchased the P3ESRs, my local dealer was kind enough to give me a pair of 20" two-post Target speaker stands until I could find (afford) speaker stands of a more appropriate height. That time has now come. I would like some recommendations for modestly priced speaker stands (<$300) that work well with the P3ESR. I'm looking for a simple design that would fit most decors; I'm not overly concerned with how they impact sonic performance.

I'm aware of both Skylan and Foundation stands, but I noticed that the Foundation P3 (made specifically for the P3 series) is listed as 23" tall. Judging by my 20" stands, I would have thought this to be too short. What is the ideal height? I tend to move frequently, so I don't want to base the height on my listening chair (since it may very well change). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a few radiators in my apartment. What should be the minimum distance between the radiators and the speakers? Would a humidifier be considered a necessity in this situation? I intend on purchasing one anyhow as the air is quite dry.

Thanks again!

Ideally, you need the tweeter of your P3ESR at ear height. Whatever height stand facilitates this is the correct height.

jferrier:

Noel at Skylan makes an excellent two-post stand for the P3ESRs in the price range you specified. He'll customize any height you like, but his standard height is 27" as he has found that to be the height that works best with the P3ESR in most cases.

If you go to Google Images and enter "Skylan" and "P3ESR" in the seach field you can see some pictures of what they look like.

Eric

[QUOTE=jferreir;12721]
    Also, I have a few radiators in my apartment. What should be the minimum distance between the radiators and the speakers? Would a humidifier be considered a necessity in this situation? I intend on purchasing one anyhow as the air is quite dry.
    QUOTE]

Looking at book/ art preservation for leads, it would appear that relatively more uniform temperature and humidity of reasonable levels (as opposed to an environment with big fluctuations) would contribute to item longevity more than anything else. I personally wouldn’t worry about it. I’d keep your speakers out of sunlight though; as UV has unexpected consequences on most compounds eg. speaker rubber surrounds or cone material.

Quote Originally Posted by jferreir View Post
    ... I would like some recommendations for modestly priced speaker stands (<$300) that work well with the P3ESR. I'm looking for a simple design that would fit most decors; I'm not overly concerned with how they impact sonic performance.

I'm aware of both Skylan and Foundation stands...
    Another vote for the Skylans. They ship light, look good, fit the P3s, get the tweeter up to ear height. The sound compares favorably with several other designs I've tried. They seem to bring strength to the bass in a pleasing way...

To the OP (jferreir):

You may find a thread I started interesting.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...-B-Observation

ES2s are the same dimensions as ESRs.

I don't doubt any person's observations, but in my case, I concluded that stands of a height will sound alike, in contrast to pranderos.

The main thing is to get the tweeter to ear height.
    Ben from UK. Harbeth P3ESR owner.

Thank you for the various responses.

I'm aware that 'tweeter at ear level' is the litmus test for appropriate speaker height, but I'm interested to know which height works best for various seating. That is, if you had to recommend a single height that would be suitable for most listening environments, what would that height be? Skylan Stands peg the height to be 27", while Foundation Stands peg the height to be 23". Since both models are designed specifically for the P3, which is the more accurate?

I was hoping to identify a few brands to see if I can find any on the used market. While Skylan Stands are indeed nice, they are also difficult to find used. I would prefer to invest in a nice pair of speaker stands once I'm settled and not on the move. Until then, I'm looking for reasonably priced 'general purpose' speaker stands that are sturdy, yet look attractive. Target speaker stands appear to fit the bill, but I would like to know if there are any other alternatives. Suggestions? Thanks again for your helpful responses.

BAS-H and Alan Shaw are right! I have just installed Sound Anchor stands with C7ES3s. I previously was using lighter stands that I have owned for many years. The Sound Anchor stands are more stable, and may improve the bass a bit. In my opinion, if you can find a secure stand that puts the tweeter at the right height, you will be 90-95% there. The difference in bass with the P3SR may be less.

With every pair of Harbeth speakers I sell, I provide stands tailor made to match the customer's ear height.

honmanm Guest

I'm using the stands that come with Rega Kytes - open frame stands with hollow steel legs. They tended to ring with the top plates attached, but they are removable (one should replace them with something else, e.g. bits of nylon chopping board).

The stands are slightly too low, so the screws have been adjusted to til them back a bit so that the tweeter axis is at ear height at the listening position.

Default The Japanese influence?

As their only exposure on the forum has been a mention some time ago by Alan Shaw, here is a photo of one of my recently bought stands for the P3ESR from Resonant Woods, based in New Hampshire, USA. I'm very pleased with the sound results and they look great, a little Japanese. They cost $300. Mine are in "natural" ash, which my dealer was very firm on as the best wood for resonance, and which also happens to go well with my cherry P3ESRs. photo.JPG

Default 27" Skylan

I've been using the 27" 2 post stands from Noel at Skylan, filled with kitty litter, and they have worked perfectly for me, in terms of stability and tweeter height. I've been very happy with them.