Thread: The power of the spoken word - radio programmes

Default The power of the spoken word - radio programmes

This thread showcases radio programmes which have the power to paint pictures in the mind.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Life-changing phone calls

BBC reporter "Dominic Arkwright meets people who have made life-changing phone calls. Alice Brooking was on the phone to her sister when an Air France Concorde crashed into her Paris hotel."

The link is here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s_2_Episode_1/

I wept as I hear this news - I recall working on the production line at the time. Not only was it a tragedy for those who lost their lives and for their families, but at a stroke it ended a technological era that I won't see again in my lifetime. Anglo-French Concorde for British Airways - and perhaps surprisingly less so for Air France - was a commercial project, a long-time symbol of European collaboration, cutting edge technology and the human spirit. An era ended abruptly and miserably due to a tiny human error.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default The 'butterfly effect'

A very good example that makes me wish I had heard this programme. A tragic example of the butterfly effect.

My example of picture-painting radio programmes is much simpler I'm afraid - it is drama. Particularly Nick Warburton's 'Snow Goose' on BBC last May.

{Moderator's comment: we'll see if we can get a copy of this programme here.}
    Ben from UK. Harbeth P3ESR owner.