Thread: C7 stands on tiles floor.

Default C7 stands on tiles floor.

I am going to need new stands for my C7 and I was thinking to have a carpenter to do the job (maybe real wood or part wood and part MDF) and of course make sure that once the C7 are on the stands the tweeters are at the level of ears when I am sitting.

The floor on which my stands are standing is a tiles floor; on this kind of floor is it better for the stands to be on spikes, rubbers, a bit of Blu- Tack or simply on their MDF/wood base without any thing under?

Do you know were I could buy online some spikes for my speakers stands ? Thanks

Hello,ummaya

On a tile floor, I'd use self adhering rubber bumpers. On any kind of spikes, the stands would surely slide around a bit.

Enjoy you're Compact 7's!

It would be very convenient for me to use a wooden stand on wheels on a tiled floor, that will allow me to roll the speakers into a corner of the room when not in use. Would such a solution have an adverse effect on the sound? Given that the speaker is quite heavy, I would think that the speaker/stand combination would stay in one place while playing and not move around by itself?

Hallo Kumar Kane!
    I've done exactly the same!
    I removed the spikes (inconvenient) from my custom made mdf stands and fixed four small and discreet wheels (very convenient). Nothing changed in sound. The speaker(SHL-5)/stand combination is staying firmly on my tile floor while playing. I will upload some photos when I return home.

Quote Originally Posted by Takis View Post
    Hallo Kumar Kane!
    I've done exactly the same!
    I removed the spikes (inconvenient) from my custom made mdf stands and fixed four small and discreet wheels (very convenient). Nothing changed in sound. The speaker(SHL-5)/stand combination is staying firmly on my tile floor while playing. I will upload some photos when I return home.
    Takis, thank you. Just the input I was looking for, that nothing changed in the sound. The wheeled stand would be most convenient for those of us that have families+dogs to cope with
    I look forward to the picture, when you are able to upload it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar Kane View Post
    The wheeled stand would be most convenient for those of us that have families+dogs to cope with
    Those having custom stands with wheels made might consider a heavy counterweight in the bottom. That would give extra stability without making it more difficult to move on a well tiled floor. On a wood laminate floor the composition of the wheels, and the total weight of the trolley, would need careful consideration.

Cantilever speaker trolleys with wheels (castors) used to be popular. Has anyone pictures of such stands?

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    Those having custom stands with wheels made might consider a heavy counterweight in the bottom. That would give extra stability without making it more difficult to move on a well tiled floor.
    I plan to fill the bottom of the wooden stand with sand or rice to mass load it just so as to bring down the center of gravity, so the thing doesn't topple. The idea is to be able to move it when needed, but not have it dance around to the music at the mercy of the speaker
    Should work? And I don't play my music at head banging levels either.
    Of course, this way it won't be as fiercely anchored as spikes will allow it to be, to the floor - should that matter to the sound as heard? That is the question. Takis advises it won't make a difference.

Alan says you could use a stack of telephone directories as a stand and it would make no difference - so neither will what you propose. I should take the designer at his word!

I think spikes come into their own when a relatively light speaker is perched on a stand on a carpeted, suspended wooden floor. The speaker is sitting on a stand which is effectively nailed to the floor through the carpet.

In the United Kingdom suspended floors are common even on the ground floor - it stops the cold striking up. Pine boards rest (at right angles) on wooden joists (beams). Carpet is most often the top covering. In different climates tiled floors are common, or a wood laminate is laid on the concrete. Where the floor does not "bounce" and is not carpeted, spikes do not add to the security of the mount, and only damage the floor.

Castors (furniture wheels) are available with brakes. That would avoid a child or animal pushing the speaker across the floor; but, of course, a displacement of a metre or so is better than a tumble to the floor.

Default Stands on wheels

Here are some photos of my stands:

There are wheels with brake(!) if you want. I have two of them under the rack, (The bigger one on the left, 3rd picture). The wheel is from plastic (not all the parts of it) and the cost for one is less than 3 euros. The big one is for 35 kilos (140 for the rack) and the smaller for 20 kilos each (80 per stand). As you see, moving the rack and the speakers is very easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Spikes?

Quote Originally Posted by ummaya View Post
    I am going to need new stands for my C7 and I was thinking to have a carpenter to do the job (maybe real wood or part wood and part MDF) and of course make sure that once the C7 are on the stands the tweeters are at the level of ears when I am sitting.

The floor on which my stands are standing is a tiles floor; on this kind of floor is it better for the stands to be on spikes, rubbers, a bit of Blu- Tack or simply on their MDF/wood base without any thing under?
    Hallo ummaya!

I had spikes and removed them. Added nothing to the sound, scratch the floor without plates under (difficult to reposition the speakers if you use plates to protect the floor) and do not decouple the speaker from the floor -in case you are concerned about that-.
    If you don't want wheels, put small rubber or silicon feet.

Hi Takis,

I still do not have new stands for my C7. For the time being they stand on the stands my previous speakers but soon I will have to give them to my daughter.
    I decided to make a pair of simple wooden stands. Like my speaker cables (QED Classic 79 strands ) I will go also for something simple and not fancy, mostly like simple chair like these,(http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/a...8&d=1300803570) without any spikes, just to bring the tweeters of the C7 to the level of my ears.

Takis ,

brand of the stands? expect to have my brand new shl5 delivered my place in 2 weeks... so looking for nice stands like yours

greetings from Athens

Default Stands

Quote Originally Posted by vasilisnt View Post
    Takis ,

brand of the stands? expect to have my brand new shl5 delivered my place in 2 weeks... so looking for nice stands like yours

greetings from Athens
    I've made them myself!
    Four pieces of 30mm MDF and 8 iron tubes (with proper housing for the screws) connected together with 8mm screws, hand painted with black mat finish. The tubes can be filled.

If someone is interested in building his own, I will be happy to give more photos for help!

Well done Takis.

They would be hard to better!

Well done Takis.

They would be hard to better!
    I agree, a very neat job, and a good example of function driving form to very good results. If I was to make an improvement, it would be to add a thin MDF frame all around, extending to a very small height above the top piece, to allow the speakers to drop into it. So that they stay in place and do not slide off the stands. Given their weight, I doubt if that will be necessary of course.

Takis, could we have some more constructional detail? Is there a stud ( a threaded rod) running inside the length of each tube or did you weld a cross bar inside the ends of each tube with a tapped hole in it?

For Harbeth: Do we have here a simple flat pack stand that could be shipped world wide? I guess with appropriate sizing this design would suit all models except the P3ESR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar Kane View Post
    I agree, a very neat job, and a good example of function driving form to very good results. If I was to make an improvement, it would be to add a thin MDF frame all around, extending to a very small height above the top piece, to allow the speakers to drop into it. So that they stay in place and do not slide off the stands. Given their weight, I doubt if that will be necessary of course.
    Good morning,

Between the speakers and the stands are in every corner, small self adhesive hemisphere silicon pads (2mm high, attached to the stand, not the speaker), so that the speaker has not any contact with the surface of the stand. Those silicon pads also keep firmly in place the speaker, it doesn’t slip at all! You can find them in any super market.

Takis, could we have some more constructional detail?
    ... or did you weld a cross bar inside the ends of each tube with a tapped hole in it?
    Hi Lubarum,
    Yes, I did exactly as you say. In the evening or tomorrow, I will upload some more photos to help.

Default Stands

Drawings and photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images