Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

Default Re: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    I have been driving my new pair of C7s with a Nakamichi TA-3, which, being over twenty years old, is beginning to fail (mostly capacitors). I'm willing to spend up to 2.5K or so on a new integrated amplifier, but it has to have a remote -- with my hip bursitis, I can't be getting up every time I need to adjust the volume -- and it has to be able to drive a second pair of (smaller satellite) speakers simultaneously. These constraints rule out many excellent amplifiers.

Any suggestions?

And any thoughts in particular on the Creek Destiny integrated amplifier?

Bruce
    Bruce:

I agree with Thanos, the Simaudio integrateds are really good, but unfortunately I don't think they have the double-speaker capability you need.

Here's another thought for you, though: the NAD 375BEE. Really powerful, very well reviewed (including by Sam Tellig in Stereophile, who also loves Harbeths), has a remote, will accept two pairs of speakers. People don't think of NAD as an "audiophile" brand but the upper end of the range in particular is excellent: I don't think too many people could tell it apart from more expensive gear if they were listening blind.

And best of all, it's only half your proposed budget, so you'd have over $1,000 left in your pocket.

Default Re: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

or the Marantz PM5003? glowing review here...

http://www.stereophile.com/integrate...ted_amplifier/

this is the model currently being carried in Japanese shops, not the 6003. It takes 2 pairs of speakers.

or the Yamaha 700's. Ive heard the 700's, not in an ideal situation, so won't comment.

I'm powering my Compact 7ES-3's with a McIntosh MA6900 (2x200w) phenomenal sound... Neither the amp nor the speakers are going anywhere soon.

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    Bruce:

I agree with Thanos, the Simaudio integrateds are really good, but unfortunately I don't think they have the double-speaker capability you need.

Here's another thought for you, though: the NAD 375BEE. Really powerful, very well reviewed (including by Sam Tellig in Stereophile, who also loves Harbeths), has a remote, will accept two pairs of speakers. People don't think of NAD as an "audiophile" brand but the upper end of the range in particular is excellent: I don't think too many people could tell it apart from more expensive gear if they were listening blind.

And best of all, it's only half your proposed budget, so you'd have over $1,000 left in your pocket.
    Thank you, Eric and Thanos, for your suggestions. It was surprising to me how few integrated amplifiers have two speaker inputs. You'd think many folks would be in my situation: one pair of speakers for serious listening and a second pair to make music in other rooms around the home. I did seriously consider the NAD, but went with the Creek Destiny instead, which has received glowing reviews. Hasn't arrived yet -- ordered it in black which takes longer.

Bruce

Good luck with it, Bruce. I've considered the Creek in the past on the basis of good reviews, but never got to the point of actually auditioning one. I'd be interested (and I'm sure others would be too) in your impressions of how the Creek sounds with your Harbeths.

AdamW Guest

My beloved SHL5 are driven by the Sonneteer Orton. The result is stunning.. absolutely the best sound I had in my house :-) No more upgrades for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    Thank you, Eric and Thanos, for your suggestions. It was surprising to me how few integrated amplifiers have two speaker inputs. You'd think many folks would be in my situation: one pair of speakers for serious listening and a second pair to make music in other rooms around the home. I did seriously consider the NAD, but went with the Creek Destiny instead, which has received glowing reviews. Hasn't arrived yet -- ordered it in black which takes longer.

Bruce
    Yes Bruce,

Please reply with comments on this combo. By chance, I had never had the opportunity to listen to any Creek driving Harbeths, so your experienece will be very helpful. Creeks have received very positive reviews for almost 20 years, I am very anxious to know if they do have so strong points. Theoretically, they must be excellent with Harbeths.

Regards,
    Thanos

codel Guest

I was told by a friend to try an Italian integrated, the REVO IPA 140 of NORMA AUDIO with my SHL5 and I would like to know if somebody knows something about the above integrated.

W. B. Guest

I am now driving my Monitor 30 with a pair of VALVET E1 Monos, I compared them to LFD, Lavardin is Ref, the big Audiomat and a C.E.C. integrated. This tiny amps got only 10 W but they work perfectly in my 35 sqm living room. They sound dynamic, natural and valve like. If you have a distributor in your country, it is worth to give them a try!

W.B.

The revealing nature of Harbeth enable us to cook our food according to our taste. Glad you found your best cook. Enjoy the music!
    "Bath in Music"

Quote Originally Posted by keithwwk View Post
    The revealing nature of Harbeth enable us to cook our food according to our taste. Glad you found your best cook. Enjoy the music!
    talking about cooking, if someone from avondale is reading this, i'd like to eat at your table if i may. could you please cook up an integrated for a reasonable price ?

-something based on your existing technology - s200 power modules.
    -similar bullet proof engineering, safety features etc
    -simple - on/off, volume control with 3-4 inputs.
    -speaker binding posts as per the current (no wierd speakon stuff)
    -something which will keep running

im hungry.

Default Primare Amplifers.

Does anybody use Primare Amplifers with Harbeth loudspeakers?Any impressions?
    Thank's.
    Luca.

Quote Originally Posted by macolive View Post
    I am planning to order the SHL5 to mate with my VK-75. I borrowed my friend's Compact 7 and drove them with the VK-75 and they sounded great!!! So much so that I've placed an order with my dealer for the SHL5 right away.

The VK-75 is warm sounding so be careful. Everything else upstream of the VK-75 in my systems is very neutral.

If your front end is warm sounding then you may want to try the VK-75SE as I believe this has a more neutral sound. One more caveat with BAT, I am told that you must use a fully balanced pre-amp to extract the full potential of the amp.
    How do you like the shl5 with the VK75? Are you still using this combo? Did you experiment with the speaker cable hook up at the back of the amplifier?

Is there anyone driving SHL5s with ICE powered amps?

Imho - a decent audio amp is pretty textbook

Major
    - Not produce any perverse artifacts eg. excessive harmonics (rules out tubes) or have a “character” (rules out Naims, hee hee hee)
    - Measures relatively flat 20 to 20 under a typical speaker load (give or take x db– dependent on cost). (rules out tubes)
    - Must be quiet and have good s/n ratios (rules out Roksan)
    - under no circumstances is there audible hissing, clicks, pops or hum when it leaves the factory. Quality is important.
    - Must have good protection circuitry - dc, heat, clipping
    - no sudden surprises at performance extremes (rules out some class d type amps which crumble)
    - Environmentally friendly (rules out tubes) and not run hot (rules out full bias, eg Sugden)
    - Basically plug and play, working with hardware store cables – 79 strand etc.

Minor

- Not too unnecessarily heavy and bulky. Can be picked up by non weight lifter
    - Balance control will be nice
    - sensible placing of speaker and input connectors
    - If the preamp (non passive) is a good design, option to detach it from the power amp section
    - Should have a selectable 110 and 230V mains input switch
    - No sharp edges

My armchair recommendation (some of which may not fit all the criteria above) approximate highest to lowest which I have a feeling will work extremely well with any Harbeth and of course the larger ones will need more grunt. My feeling is that even if you start with something halfway down the list, there will be very minor differences.

Bryston BP6, 2B pre power
    Marantz SM11S SC11S pre power
    Yamahas AS 2000
    Parasounds P3 and A23 pre power
    Brystons B100
    Marantz PM 11
    XIndax XA8520 XA 8800MNE pre power
    Avondale S200 power (you might want to wait for their preamp)
    Dussun V8
    Anthem I225
    Rotel 1520
    Denon PMA 1500
    Marantz PM 15
    Yamahas AS 1000
    Marantz PM8003
    Brystons B60
    Marantz PM6003
    Yamaha AS 700
    Pioneer A9 or even A6
    Marantz PM 5003
    Dussun T6
    Denon PMA 500/510
    Rotel RA 04
    NAD 315 BEE

frisou Guest

hello,

I want to change my speakers and I'm interested by Harbeth Super HL5 ... and I would like to listen to with some different good match amplifiers.
    I have today an amplifier Air Tight ATM1s (PP EL34) and another amplifier which is class A Solid State : a Sugden Masterclass IA4.

> Could you say to me if one of these amplifiers will perform well with SHL5 ? Someone have tried ?

Then, could you say to me what do you think of these amplifiers for SHL5 too ? :

> Manley (for exemple with mono Snappers)
    > EAR Yoshino (for exemple 868 + 890)
    > Audiomat (for exemple Arpège, Opera, etc ...)

Best regards
    Frisou
    (France)

macraddy Guest

I’ve heard both the Compact 7 and the SHL5s with the Sugden IA-4. In a word – Stunning. (To my ears at least.) The experience was enough for me to investigate further and I bought the SHL5s and the full Masterclass system. (Although went for the LA-4, MPA-4 amp.)

I am driving C7's with a restored and modified (Mapleshaderecords.com) HH Scott 222c integrated amp (24 wpc).My room is 12'x12'x9'. I have not turned the volume past the one o'clock position, for normal listening ten to eleven o'lock is my usual.

The mid range and bass are full, and have a liquid quality that is very appealing to me. I have also enjoyed a Musical Fidelity A-1 (36wpc), so I guess it's true that Harbeth's can sound good with many good quality amps, tube or solid state. Perhaps, a larger room would require a more powerful amp.

frisou Guest

Quote Originally Posted by macraddy View Post
    I’ve heard both the Compact 7 and the SHL5s with the Sugden IA-4. In a word – Stunning. (To my ears at least.) The experience was enough for me to investigate further and I bought the SHL5s and the full Masterclass system. (Although went for the LA-4, MPA-4 amp.)
    Very interesting. Do you have a large room with this system ? (mine is only 4 x 5 "mètres" = 20 m2)

it is OK for all music styles ? (I listen to very different things : jazz, blues, guitar / flamenco / folk / pop rock / lyrics ...)
    can I know which CD player you have married with this SHL5 + Sugden system ?

macraddy Guest

Hello,
    I have a small room for this system, 3m x 5.5m. (If it was significantly bigger I’d’ve bought the M40.1s!) I have it firing across the room and there are no issues at all. Especially as it’s well dampened. I listen only to classical music. Although have heard other styles including metal when friends have visited. For me personally I’d say the system is excellent for all styles. A lot of what you listen to seems to be acoustic, so you’d certainly be in for a real treat IMO.

Current CD player is the Sugden Masterclass PDT-4, although I had a Linn Unidisk 1.1 before this.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast