Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

sevodude Guest

...."Philippe Monteyne]Alan, I must confess I'm amongst the ones who said "not the easiest to drive" about the C7s. Actually, I should rather say that you don't easily obtain the maximum of what they can give you since these loudspeakers have so much to offer. What I'm currently experiencing is that you can dramatically upgrade the source etc.. and still hear the improvement, which demonstrates that the loudspeakers are not the limiting factor!"

I totally agree. I think the harbeth has such a depth of potential. It continues to reveal the difference as you upgrade, but at all times keeping that rightness of timbre and tonality/musicality, just that the details, bass definition staging etc improves with no detriment to the "beauty" of the sound.

Nam

Hu Guest

Default Plinius 103

I ordered Plinius SA 102 more than 20 days ago, but now I am told that SA 102 got discontinued, the new type will be SA103, the price is higher of course. Has anybody heard of SA 103 or knows the difference?

Thank you all!

Hu

Default "The amplifier-speaker interface" magazine article

This article explains how the speaker and amplifier must be considered as a whole as different speakers will interact differently with amplifiers. So, to say "amplifier A is universally the best amplifier" is meaningless but you could say "amplifier A works extremely well with speaker B".

Enjoy:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...rInterface.pdf

Default Plinius 9200 and Harbeth C7ES2 =Bad combo?

All,
    It was a heated argument with regards to Plinius amp with Harbeth C7ES2 in a local Hi-fi forum stating it was unmusical combo and bland.

http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/YaBB...8391&start=210

Surprisingly... quit a lot of Harbeth forumers do partner their beloved Harbeth C7ES2 with Plinius 9200. In addition, I believe that US distributor often partner these two items together for the "hi-fi" shows....

Is there any truth to all this?
    Music is not to be denied... is to be enjoyed!

danrubin Guest

As I read that thread (which I did very quickly), it seemed like just one person -- and with a very annoying online style -- who had a problem with the combo.

googalang Guest

Default Re: Amplifiers for your Harbeths

probably the bloke needs to give the Plinius/Harbeth combo another go - without knowing that it's a Plinius driving those Harbeths

The thread is quite interesting, meandering into various topics and back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Well, that's where we differ. I want speakers that I can listen to for hours and just enjoy the music without constantly analyzing it to determine whether I have just the right components. What's the good of being accurate if you can't stand to listen to it.
    At the risk of being sneered at by most audiophiles, I think you are being overly concerned with components other than the speakers. When I purchased my SHL5's, I changed nothing in front of them. That includes a very old solid state pre-amp, a not-expensive Japanese solid-state amp, interconnects I made myself with wire and parts from Radio Shack, and 16 gauge "zip" chord for speaker wires. I have heard only lovely music from the Harbeths, and no obvious problems from the components. In my opinion, the speakers and the room in which you place them are the major considerations leading to wonderful sound.

Ned

northwoods_maine Guest

Has anyone heard Nuforce 9s with Super 5s, or other Harbeths? Based on review comments, I'm thinking it would be a good match but don't have any way to audition that pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Mast
    At the risk of being sneered at by most audiophiles, I think you are being overly concerned with components other than the speakers. When I purchased my SHL5's, I changed nothing in front of them. That includes a very old solid state pre-amp, a not-expensive Japanese solid-state amp, interconnects I made myself with wire and parts from Radio Shack, and 16 gauge "zip" chord for speaker wires. I have heard only lovely music from the Harbeths, and no obvious problems from the components. In my opinion, the speakers and the room in which you place them are the major considerations leading to wonderful sound.

Ned
    Ned is right.
    There are 2 types of audiophiles: Those who listen to music, and those who try to "listen" through machines. The latter usually forget the music itself. Said a dozen times, Harbeths don't need the Superman to drive them... Just a good humble amp and a well taken care of the room.
    Does anyone think that a pair of Harbeths driven by an ONGAKU instead of a PRIMALUNA (both valve integrateds, about same power, with a price difference of about 54.000 pounds!!!!!), will be heard reproducing the same music from planet Mars than from planet Earth?
    I can use the 54.000 pounds to hire the BERLINER PHILARMONIKER and CHORUS for a day, to perform the Beethoven's 9th, with Alan Shaw in the front seat of the audience accompanied from 500 Harbeth fans, all drinking DOM PERIGNON and eating CHAVIAR at the same time...
    Please take it seriously but just with a bit of Humor...
    Cheers,
    Thanos

ranyc Guest

Default BAT Amps compatibility with Harbeths

I am actively shopping for amps and was highly recommended to BAT (Balanced Audio Technology) Amps and Preamps. Has anyone heard BAT electronics matched with Harbeths and if so, how would you describe the sound characteristics? I own the Monitor 30 speakers. Many thanks for your advice.

ranyc Guest

Default WPC for Monitor 30's

I am considering, based upon recommendations from colleagues who are experts in stereo equipment, getting an amplifier rated at 250 wpc at 8 Ohms. Is the Monitor 30's an 8 Ohm speaker? Is a 250 wpc amp OK for these speakers, in careful hands, or is it considered too much power? Many thanks for your replies.

Default Re: BAT Amps compatibility with Harbeths (the overview)

Quote Originally Posted by ranyc
    I am actively shopping for amps and was highly recommended to BAT (Balanced Audio Technology) Amps and Preamps. Has anyone heard BAT electronics matched with Harbeths and if so, how would you describe the sound characteristics? I own the Monitor 30 speakers. Many thanks for your advice.
    This subject has been covered in very great detail here: http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/showthread.php?t=41
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Derek Yang Guest

Default Re: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

What?s a relief to have your information above. Now I can sit back and relax with my new SHL5 powered by a solid state amplifier which contributes 75w @ 8 ohms.

danrubin Guest

Default Re: BAT Amps compatibility with Harbeths (the overview)

Quote Originally Posted by A.S.
    This subject has been covered in very great detail here: http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/showthread.php?t=41

Well, that thread includes discussion of theoretical power requirements for Harbeth speakers, but does not address BAT. Or is that not relevant because all well-designed amplifiers sound alike?

Default Re: What drives your Harbeths?

Musical Fidelity A3.5 Integrated Amp, Musical Fidelity A3.5 CD run through a Musical Fidelity Tube Stage with separate Musical Fidelity Power Supply. All Kimber cables to Super HL5. Sounds great!

Ferdinand777 Guest

Default Re: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

For months used a solid state mccormack dna 0.5 to drive the Compact 7es2-- very good sound.

Had a chance to try the PS Audio HCA2 (150w digital amp)-- even better.

The other day, a friend lend his Conrad Johnson MV60 tube amp-- wow, also very good!

cables are a mixed bunch: audience interconnect, TG slvr IC, analysis plus oval 12 speaker cables, skyland 20" 4 post stand

Hello,
    I AM THANOS, A FRIEND AND NEIGHBOR FROM ATHENS. ARE YOU FROM ISTANBUL? MY FAMILY ORIGINATES FROM THERE! AS I HAVE WRITTEN BEFORE, ITS NOT A MATTER OF SO MUCH POWER, AS IT IS RATHER OF QUALITY, TO DRIVE YOUR HARBETHS. I READ YOUR COMMENTS IN AUDIOREVIEW. I DRIVE THEM WITH A MACINTOSH MA 6500 (2 x 120 WRMS) WITH EXCELLENT RESULTS. I BELIEVE THAT ANY FINE QUALITY MEDIUM POWERED INTEGRATED WOULD BE ADEQUATE TO DRIVE THEM. AND, THIS EASE OF DRIVE - I CALL IT EXCEPTIONAL VERSATILITY- IS WHAT MAKES HARBETHS TO STAND ALONE ONE STEP ABOVE ALL THEIR COMPETITORS.
    GREETINGS,
    THANOS

I'm using a 1960s Class A Sugden A51 (25 watts) to drive my HP3s, with very pleasing results. I seem to be going further and further back to "classic" or "vintage" equipment. Strangely, it has been the Harbeths that have induced me to change a newer front end and amplification for old. I've replaced my Linn LP 12 with Thorens 124 and 125 turntables, from the '50s and '70s, respectively. And I consider the HP3s to continue a classic tradition. (And let's not forget those welding cables!)

Only CD has me stumped. I couldn't bear to listen to anything earlier than the '90s, and even then it doesn't give me much joy. What would the Harbeth equivalent of the HP3s be in a CD player, I wonder?

David

airdavid Guest

Default Re: WPC for Monitor 30's

Quote Originally Posted by ranyc
    I am considering, based upon recommendations from colleagues who are experts in stereo equipment, getting an amplifier rated at 250 wpc at 8 Ohms. Is the Monitor 30's an 8 Ohm speaker? Is a 250 wpc amp OK for these speakers, in careful hands, or is it considered too much power? Many thanks for your replies.
    250 ? Do you "wanna make a party" ? :-)))
    I heard M 30 with 250watts Pass Labs and it sounds good, but what price !!

David

Default Harbeth C7ES2 & Lavardin IS Reference = Sonic Bliss!

The Search is over... I have found the amp that blew all my previous amp audition. This amp enables me to listen to details, clarity that I haven't heard in other amp. With only 35 watts, it drove my C7 effort to a full-bodied and properly balanced sound, with superb bass. Finally? my C7ES2 can rock with fast pace music? with full sonic bliss!

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbyte
    All,
    It was a heated argument with regards to Plinius amp with Harbeth C7ES2 in a local Hi-fi forum stating it was unmusical combo and bland.

http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/YaBB...8391&start=210

Surprisingly... quit a lot of Harbeth forumers do partner their beloved Harbeth C7ES2 with Plinius 9200. In addition, I believe that US distributor often partner these two items together for the "hi-fi" shows....

Is there any truth to all this?
    Music is not to be denied... is to be enjoyed!

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast