Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

sonofcolin Guest

Default Re: Naim alternative

Quote Originally Posted by airdavid
    3 integrated amps by Naim ?
    I know just Nait 5i, what are the others ?

David
    5x, 5i, superNAIT. 5x may have been superseded by 5i (but it's still quite recent).

yeasaen Guest

Default Re: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

Hi
    I am a new member and I joined because I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Super 5s (with the 7 ES 3 as a second choice)
    I am not ready to upgrade my electronics yet, and so will be using an old Pass Aleph 3 amp which is a 30 watter class A. Has anyone used this combination and will it be able to do justice to the 5s or 7s?
    Thank you!
    Mary

Ferdinand777 Guest

Default Re: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

Quote Originally Posted by yeasaen
    Hi
    I am a new member and I joined because I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Super 5s (with the 7 ES 3 as a second choice)
    I am not ready to upgrade my electronics yet, and so will be using an old Pass Aleph 3 amp which is a 30 watter class A. Has anyone used this combination and will it be able to do justice to the 5s or 7s?
    Thank you!
    Mary

Mary

Depending on your room size and how loud you listen, the Aleph 3 will sound sweet with the Harbeths. But I feel it might sound a bit lightweight with them. Again, depends on your pre-amp you are using. With tube preamp, that might help put some weight on the music.

Good luck. Thats a great amp.

Mank Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yeasaen
    Hi
    Thank you!
    Mary
    Hello Mary,

nice to have you a new friend in the Harbeth society!

I'm using a McIntosh integrated at 120watts/8ohms. Cannot get the volume over 1/3, it will shake the earth! The SHL5s need some space, not so much - let's say at least 3,5m. W by 4-5m. L, in order to healthy develope their bass without probable risk of a bit spoiling the mids and highs (also furniture and curtains/carpeting do real good). As for power, you'll most probably get surprised from what your Pass will do with them! Seeing my powermeters, I hardly have ever used more than 10watts per channel to get them really loud... and I mean just a few seconds peaks. "A" class isn't at all funny.... 30 watts of it are quite a power. A Hungarian made Etalon integrated with just 10w at A class, once lifted off the ground in front of my ears a pair of heavyweight floorstanders with an 88db sensitivity at 8 ohms... I don't think you'll get lean bass foundation, not at all. If I could afford more, I would have bought the Accuphase E-530 two years ago. Expensive, but divine! Can drive almost anything!
    Happy to mail you anykind of help for your SHL5s, as far I have put them on my own designed and tailored wooden stands, many cabling tests, positioning etc. And they keep my so happy every day!

Cheers from Athens, Greece,
    Thanos

Arlequen Guest

Hello guys ,

Here HL Compact 7ES2 driven by Odyssey Audio Tempest and Stratos preamp and amp
    Bellavista Turntable Origin Live arm and Denon DL103R mc cartridge
    Mit cables

I love my C7ES and the whole system

airdavid Guest

nait 5x doesn't exist !!! SuperNait in the 2007....

what do you think of Roksan with Harbeth ?

David

sonofcolin Guest

You are correct. It's CD5x. I actually meant Nait 5, 5i and supernait. Nait 5 no longer in production.

Christel Guest

Hi! I am a woman from Sweden that is going to buy a pair of super hl5s soon.
    I have just listened to a French lavardin amplifier the IS reference and i liked the
    sound a lot. Is there anyone here that have any experience with Harbets and Lavardin?

I am also planning to buy a Origin live Aurora with the silver tonearm and a musikman MK 3 cartridge.

Is there any better amplifier for around 3500??

Hi Cristel,

The dealer from whom I bought my SHL5s, and later M40s - I love both speakers - sells Lavardin in addition to Naim and other electronics. He has mentioned that he is particularly fond of the way the Harbeths sound with the Lavardin (I'm not sure which model, thought I think it's 50 Watts). Perhaps he'll read your post and respond himself with more detailed information. Whatever amp you get, I think you are going to love the SHL5s!

Ned

Hi Cristel,

I'm the dealer Ned is referring to in his last post to you. Ned, thanks for your support. First of all, the SHL5 is a favorite of everyone who comes to my place for a demo. For many, there isn't a reason to get anything else. The entire Harbeth line is extremely musical and very similar sounding. The main differences between the speakers seems to be caused by the different cabinet sizes and the resulting limitations. In particular the midrange of every speaker is very special, indeed.

Since the Harbeth line is so revealing, you can hear differences of almost every change you make. Stands change the sound, sources change the sound, ampliers and cables change the sound. There are many options to help you tailor the overall sound to your liking.

As a dealer for Naim, Audio Note, lavardin, and Manley (only US manufacturer) amplifiers, I have found all of them very capable of driving the SHL5's. They do sound different, but due to the ease of driving the SHL5 they all perform well. A purchase decision has more to do with your personal sound preference and, of cousrse, your budget. Some customers seem to prefer tubes, other's solid state. Naim creates a little more immediacy (up front) while lavardin seems to put the sound well behind the speaker plane. For these reasons you should request an in-home demonstration.

The only lavardin model I have on demo is the IT. It is the more expensive of the integrated line. The lavardin has a way of giving you all the benefits of solid state yet seems to avoid the artifacts created by most solid state amplifiers. It is a very special amplier, and in many ways seems like the perfect partner for Harbeth. However, the list of good amplifiers that perform well with Harbeth is long, indeed. I hope in some small way I have helped without causing more confusion.

John Geisen

HeelWing Guest

(First post, hello everybody)

Anyone considered as a Naim alternative, the Moth line of amps? Does anyone knows them? They are in a way very similar to older Naims (discretes, separate power supplies); I've only listened to their phono pre, really nice.

Experiences anyone?

Guido

blantyre Guest

I drive my LS3/5As with a Consonance M99 Plus re-tubed with Sovtek KT66s. This seems to be a very pleasing combination. M99s come up on Audiogon at very reasonable prices and they are integrated, so no need for lots of wiring. A bonus is that they also look very cool with the "coke bottle" tubes glowing. That said, I am a strong fan of Naim's older chrome bumper products which are hard to beat for smooh power with a larger speaker.

wats Guest

hi folks,

it?s nice to see: you are searching like me in Germany.
    I?ve heard for some weeks the creek Destiny against my naim 5i.
    In my room, with my Monitor 30, my music etc. I prefer the Creek. I?m only glad to hear this combination. Total harmony.

happy listening
    werner

airdavid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wats
    hi folks,

In my room, with my Monitor 30, my music etc. I prefer the Creek.

happy listening
    werner
    Why? Could you be more specific?

Thank you,
    regards

David

analogue_lover Guest

Default Crimson and Harbeths??

Hi Gang!
    I'm thinking of picking up a 610 pre and 620 amp. Anybody out there running Crimson at all? Wondering about pairing with HB's.

Mike
    ESC

Ytsejam Guest

Default Re: Crimson and Harbeths??

Hi Mike,
    i heard crimson 640e monoblocks with a dCS P8i CD/SACD Player and Harbeth M30 a few weeks ago. In my opinion the amplifiers overemphasize the speed factor and don't sound really natural especially with classical music. The Harbeth M30 easily point out the character of the amplifiers instead of other speakers i heard with crimson gear (610, 620+630) a few years ago. Maybe a more neutral ampilifier design would be more suitable for Harbeth speakers.
    Regards, Thomas

NikPer Guest

Greetings,

I just got a pair SHL5's, the rest of my gear is a Cary SLI-80 integrated valve amplifier with 2xKT88 per channel, a Cary CD308T cd player, a vintage AKAI turntable with the small BENZ cartridge amplified by a creek OBH-18 phono-stage and a SONY tuner. The room is my kitchen-living room combo area, about 5.5 by 6 meters.

So far i am very happy with the speakers, I really appreciate their full bodied sound and clarity plus i just love their "old-school" look.

heflo Guest

Has anybody expriences with CROFT SYNTEGRA amplifier?

heflo Guest

I own a Denon PMA 2000AE. Will i get perfect results with a SHL 5?

E. G. Guest

Default Re: Naim or Sugden

I have a pair of HL-P3ES-2 and I have owned both the Sugden A21a and the Naim Nait 5i.
    In my humble opinion - and for my taste ? I?ve found the A21a to be a better match.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast