Thread: Harbeth HL K6ES. Any Info?

johnfish Guest

Default "Unknown Harbeth HL-K6ES"

Can A.S. or any kind soul tell me more on tis little known Harbeth HL-K6ES production in year 2000. Google search failed to source any info on Spec.It Woofer/driver mount & secure from insider speaker box similar to M30. Snap few pic. of tis Harbeth bought by a friend .Thx in advance
    [IMG]htt
    []http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/jomp/d1d642c6.jpg[/IMG]

Hi John, i briefly mentioned the K6 on this thread http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s....php?546-Hl-s8

Though the K6 also has its midbass driver mounted from inside of the baffle like M30, but it doesn't sound like the M30. It sounds more like a C7.

johnfish Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CK View Post
    Hi John, i briefly mentioned the K6 on this thread http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s....php?546-Hl-s8

Though the K6 also has its midbass driver mounted from inside of the baffle like M30, but it doesn't sound like the M30. It sounds more like a C7.
    Thanks Gan CK Dude , I did save those K6 info in my mac. u provide sometime ago. But my friend owned the later K6ES which tweeter look differ from it. It came wif gold mesh netting as compare to sliver from the older K6. Yes agree on ur comment it was design between P3-Compact7. Sound quite sweet & musical but bass tad heavy.... a complete different animal over M30 . Hope to source more on the spec. Perhap A.S is kind to chip in more info.Thanks Cheers.

Default HL-K6 designed for a market ...

The K6 (K for Korea) was designed according to a (former) distributor's requests in the mid 1990s. As you have notes, it was indeed a hybrid speaker: woofer from the then C7ES2 and tweeter from the then P3ES2. The cabinet was as narrow as we could make it, just big enough to fit-in the 8" RADIAL™ chassis, rear mounted. Unusually, the baffle was permanently attached and we assembled from the rear - the opposite situation to all other Harbeths where we assemble from the front and do not disturb the rear panel during assembly (although it is removable).

The other notable feature was the use of a thick felt lining the entire inner surface. Looking back, it's impossible to recall the exact sequence of events that led to us changing distributor there many years ago, but I can say that we are now happy with distribution in Korea and have an easy, professional communication channel open both ways.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Decameron Guest

Default K6 without grilles?

I bought a pair of HL-K6ES's finished in grey nextel and they appear to be grill-less, the rebate around the baffle having some kind of black material as a finish? Were these designed to work without grills? They look very much like studio speakers. Very transparent, excellent with orchestral music and voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Decameron View Post
    I bought a pair of HL-K6ES's finished in grey nextel and they appear to be grill-less, the rebate around the baffle having some kind of black material as a finish? Were these designed to work without grills? They look very much like studio speakers. Very transparent, excellent with orchestral music and voice.
    I suppose those K6s are the professional version, just like the professional version of Harbeth's monitor series loudspeakers. As far as i know, all professional series are finished in nextel grey. All Harbeths excel on vocal & orchestral music.

stonehenge Guest

Default Harbeth K6

My first post!

I have just bought some HL K6's and I am very pleased with them. I do have a couple of questions though; what was the change from K6 to K6ES? Was it a different tweeter? Also, how thick is the veneer? I have a couple of scratches on the top of one and I would like to rub them out with 400 grit wet and dry with Danish Oil as lube - which is my usual method on cabinets. Will the finish take this treatment?

Default Harbeth HL K6ES. Any Info?

Hi all,

This is my first post as i've just bought a pair of K6ES as an introduction to the harbeth sound and am enjoying them. There doesn't seem to be much info abouth them, but i believe they have the bass unit from the C7 ES2 and the tweeter from the P3 ES2 and were made for the Korean market. Has anyone ever heard them compared to the newer models i.e. C7 ES3 and/or Super HL5? I'm just wondering if they're indicative of the present family sound and what improvements could be had if i moved up the range. They are a bit bass heavy but i think that's because i can't get them far from the rear walls, and i guess that would be true of the newer models too?

Many Thanks, Si

Default A link about the HL K6ES

Hello and Congratulations!

There is a thread about these speakers in the "User feedback, praise, comments..." section of the forum. Go there then go into "Harbeth at home pictures" heading and look for the thread with your speaker's name in the title.

From memory, the HL K6ES was a limited model that was intended for the Korean market which wanted to get the mid/bass drive unit in as small a cabinet as possible. Details are in the thread. Try to get them at least 75cm from all surfaces, Harbeths do not boom - the bass is superbly integrated, but positioning is important.

Default K6

Hi Si,

Yes you are right, the K6 is a hybrid comprising of the 8in Radial with a 19mm aluminium dome tweeter from the P3ES. Soundwise its typically Harbeth. Sophisticated, smooth, sweet, naturally warm with excellent tonal & timbral attributes. They shouldn't be bass heavy. Try to play around with positioning. I think they can survive fairly close to rear wall but not the side walls. My SHL-5s are sitting pretty close to rear wall as well but far away from the side walls.

Default Fair price

What's a fair price for a used pair of these?

Would they give me a fair idea of the Harbeth ownership & listening experience?