Thread: Newbie considering Compact 7ES3 for a large room

Default Newbie considering Compact 7ES3 for a large room

Hi,

Say hello from a newbie here in Canada. I am planning to set up a separate audio system in the basement just for music alone. I have a large L shape room not divided, with about 12' W x 35' L x 7' H.

I have been using an old Rogers LS/2 bookshelf and are used to the British sound, this plus my music taste makes me consider the Harbeth, which I had a chance to audition lately. I listen to many kinds of music but mainly classical (from solo piano to chamber music, concertos and large orchestra work), also some instrumental/new age, vocal, Pops, etc. Not many rock music.

Source: i'm fully digital and use a Squeezebox 3 with lossless files on server. May consider adding a turn table later.

Amp:not decided.

Will Compact 7 works in the room size that I mentioned ? I really hope I don't have to go bigger due to cost. If I have to, I can add a bookshelf to use as a room divider to limit the size.

Thanks !

Default Listening Distance?

Hello Maple, welcome. It might help others in the know to ask a couple of questions: how far from the speakers do you sit? How far apart do you plan them to be? It is generally best to sit a little (not much) farther back than the distance between them.

Best wishes
    Ben from UK. Harbeth P3ESR owner.

Default Designing the room for best sound

Quote Originally Posted by BAS-H View Post
    Hello Maple, welcome. It might help others in the know to ask a couple of questions: how far from the speakers do you sit? How far apart do you plan them to be? It is generally best to sit a little (not much) farther back than the distance between them.

Best wishes

Thanks, Ben. To answer your question: this is a complete free space so I can do what ever I want. Currently plan to place the speaker closer to the short wall (start of L), and chair probably 10 feet away ? Really I can place speakers/chairs in the first 20 feet away from the short wall to achieve best sound.

What I'm not too sure is that if the room is too big for the speaker.