Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: LFD LE IV Problem Help

  1. #1
    Tran Khoa Guest

    Default LFD LE IV Problem Help

    So i had ordered the LFD IV signature version from GeneRubin. Waited 3 month and received.
    I din't expected that he sended me an open box one.
    So i pluged to my Harbeth SHL5. The sound is good but Hell it's too fast.
    It's like the singer have to catch up the beat.
    Even with moonlight Sonata , i dont feel the music. There is no deep. IT's not real!!!
    Can any comment about this with your LFD.. or mine is a defected one.

    thank

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Hi Tran Khoa,

    I have only one question for you. What amp did u have before the LE IV?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Hi Tran
    I'd encourage you to perhaps take it up with Gene Rueben?
    I'm not sure this forum is the place to vent a problem with a dealer whose product you are unhappy with.
    Best Wishes
    C

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tran Khoa View Post
    So i had ordered the LFD IV signature version from GeneRubin. Waited 3 month and received.
    I din't expected that he sended me an open box one.
    So i pluged to my Harbeth SHL5. The sound is good but Hell it's too fast.
    It's like the singer have to catch up the beat.
    Even with moonlight Sonata , i dont feel the music. There is no deep. IT's not real!!!
    Can any comment about this with your LFD.. or mine is a defected one.

    thank
    try play something i.e. slow... to see any diff..

    what is the CDP? did you use tube amp before this?

    sound serious... a mismatch?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    824

    Default

    There's no mismatch, the Mk.IV sounds very good indeed with all of the Harbeth range. I use it regularly.

    There is something else wrong but I'm not quite sure what the OP is worried about.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Hello, I didn't like my LFD LEIII when I first listened to it with my C7es3's half year ago. In first instance I did change the original powerlead with one freebee I knew had a warmer sound. It was better from that moment on but........
    Specially after about a week of constant "ON" state, the sound became much "fuller" and more open and realistic. Be patient for at least one week of fully using your LEIV, it will became very good sounding!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    There's no mismatch, the Mk.IV sounds very good indeed with all of the Harbeth range. I use it regularly.

    There is something else wrong but I'm not quite sure what the OP is worried about.
    he is wary of the amplifier... distinctly

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37

    Default

    The LFD needs some hours to run in before you will realize the full capability. I just had a similar experience as you for the first 30-40 hours. After that the pace, rhythm and tempo gradually came into balance and all of the music tracks (well recorded and not) were simply more "right", meaning instrumental definition, separation, depth and soundstage are clear. You may begin to hear effects or instrumentation in the tracks that you have not head before, even though you've listened to them a hundred times. Allow the LFD to "burn in". And finally, speak with Gene about it.....he's very knowledgable and will coach and guide.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Folks, i don't think its about running in or the amp being defective. Its about perspective. Its so easy to get skewed by a particular type of sound from an amp or cdp player or spk that one is so used to, so much so that when something with a more decidedly different presentation turns up, one may in turn think that the component in question is faulty because its so different from what one is used to. It has happened several times here. I recall somebody here who thought that his new SHL-5 sounded somewhat slower in the vocals than the music itself. This is all about personal perspective. A skewed perspective if you will. I have the LE III & it has served me extremely well over the past 2 to 3 years now. I don't think of it as fast or slow. Its pace is very music driven. If anything, i feel that the LE III is always committed to delivering music in its purest, coherent & most uplifting form. I reckon the LE IV should be cut from the same fabric too.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Gene is one of the best audio dealers I know of. Communicate your concerns to him. Both my LFD Zero III and NCSE sounded wonderful with Harbeth speakers from day one.

  11. #11
    Tran Khoa Guest

    Default

    Thank for helping me guys.

    I know alot people in here have respect for GeneRuben... That why i din't send email to ask him. Thinking offended him. But i know u guys have a LFD, that why i just want to make sure.

    The only thing i want to know that my LFD is it good..?.. I am worry about it. Because i buy a new one.. but received an open box, with a newpaper in side the box. And the box look soo old. That why i am wondering.

    For comparing with other amps ( Rogue Cronus Magmun, YAmaha). Yes is kinda fast. Even my wife told me. I"ve tested with many music, it's very clear, sound very good with all those instruments. But it's too fast... maybe i have to put it on more like 40h..like you guys said.
    wel i will let you guys know.
    thank again

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    824

    Default

    In view of the 'open box, with a newspaper inside' I would suggest you contact the dealer with your concerns. An open box might indicate that the amp was tested but a newspaper inside ??? That is careless.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Malaysia/Singapore
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Hi guys, I second Gan CK. It is all about perception. Allow the amp to burn-in is actually you guy spend time to let your own brain to get use to the new sound from a new amp..Yes, the the sound can get more steady and firm after it turn-on from cold but that only need 10mins or less. I always turn off my LEIII and Mistral LE whenever I do not listen to them and enjoying the music right after I turn on them no need to wait and the music is wonderful.
    "Bath in Music"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Piraeus, Greece
    Posts
    46

    Default About Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Tran Khoa View Post
    ... The sound is good but Hell it's too fast. It's like the singer have to catch up the beat... ...i dont feel the music. There is no deep. IT's not real!!!...

    How can an amplifier be "faster" than the recorded signal?

    How is possible for an amp to reproduce a part of a song (the rhythm section) faster than another part (the singer) at the same recording the same time?

    Can it choose a part of the complex electrical signal and reproduce it faster than the rest of it?
    Spooky, isn't it?

    Finally, what do we mean by saying "fast" or "slow"? Is it about rise and decay time?

    Maybe someone has to search elsewhere to find the answers to that strange feeling Tran Khoa describes.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tran Khoa View Post
    Thank for helping me guys.

    I know alot people in here have respect for GeneRuben... That why i din't send email to ask him. Thinking offended him. But i know u guys have a LFD, that why i just want to make sure.

    The only thing i want to know that my LFD is it good..?.. I am worry about it. Because i buy a new one.. but received an open box, with a newpaper in side the box. And the box look soo old. That why i am wondering.

    For comparing with other amps ( Rogue Cronus Magmun, YAmaha). Yes is kinda fast. Even my wife told me. I"ve tested with many music, it's very clear, sound very good with all those instruments. But it's too fast... maybe i have to put it on more like 40h..like you guys said.
    wel i will let you guys know.
    thank again
    Hi Tran Khoa,

    The list of amps you had pretty much explains why you find the LE IV too 'fast'. To put you into better perspective, try comparing your LE IV head on with any Naim or Exposure. After the comparison, chances are you won't find the LE IV too fast or hurried. I seriously do not think your LE IV is defective in any way.

  16. #16
    Tran Khoa Guest

    Default

    I have found the problem . Im sorry it's my fault. I pluged a Zu Bok power cord. I din't know that afect that much for imcompatibility. The LFD run faster with it. Better stay with simple cable from the boxe. Hard to beleive, even others power cord i tested, it's din't match. So when u move your equipements, make sure it's still the same power cord for your LFD.
    After few hours tested , My wife are in love with it. Me to. it's superior to my Cronus. But the sound from my Cronus is more transparent and deeper, that touch the soul. Maybe it's tube effect. LFD Le IV, Voice presentation, and back ground instruments are clear with punch of the base, that why it's super. I think i will keep the Cronus for Midrange listening, like Classiscal, just need to get a new Harbeth compact and an LP.

    Thank for you guys time.
    The world of HiFi is soo big, 2 many speakers, 2 many AMPs, and Cables, the hard thing is the compatibility one with others... than the ears.. tube or SS.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Good to hear that you've solved the problem even though i 've tried a few power cords with the LE III but found no change in speed but only a very very subtle difference in the overall sound.

    What you need most now is acclimatisation to the LE IV's forthright presentation. Its neither overly warm, sweet or subdued or laidback or forward....but as Gene Rubin & Sam Tellig says, it just sounds right! To me at least, my LE III not only sounds right but when combined with the wonderful SHL-5 simply takes the hifi setup out of the equation, leaving only the music where it should be.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tran Khoa View Post
    I have found the problem . Im sorry it's my fault. I pluged a Zu Bok power cord. I din't know that afect that much for imcompatibility. The LFD run faster with it. Better stay with simple cable from the boxe. Hard to beleive, even others power cord i tested, it's din't match. So when u move your equipements, make sure it's still the same power cord for your LFD.
    After few hours tested , My wife are in love with it. Me to. it's superior to my Cronus. But the sound from my Cronus is more transparent and deeper, that touch the soul. Maybe it's tube effect. LFD Le IV, Voice presentation, and back ground instruments are clear with punch of the base, that why it's super. I think i will keep the Cronus for Midrange listening, like Classiscal, just need to get a new Harbeth compact and an LP.

    Thank for you guys time.
    The world of HiFi is soo big, 2 many speakers, 2 many AMPs, and Cables, the hard thing is the compatibility one with others... than the ears.. tube or SS.
    Great, enjoy this great combo..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •