Thread: The truth about bi-wiring and bi-amping?

Default The truth about bi-wiring and bi-amping?

This thread is concerned with bi-wiring and bi-amping.

Default Bunk and Debunk

As I've posted before, my opinion FWIW is that bi-wiring does nothing to improve SQ.

What matters is having suitable (shielded) speaker cable of appropriately thick gauge, which depends on the length of the run. I have a 25 foot run and I use inexpensive copper Canare style cable (14 AWG, which equates to 11 AWG when not bi-wired).

Default There's sometimes a difference

I can't offer an explanation, but my observations with biwiring Proac speakers demonstrated a difference in sound. I'd have been confident nailing the difference in a double-blind. I observe no difference whether bi or single wiring my current ES2s (so I stick with single). I suspect a difference in cross-over design concept.
    Ben from UK. Harbeth P3ESR owner.

Default Biwiring at the crossover design stage?

BASH raises an interesting point. I know nothing of speaker / cross-over design, but it makes sense that such design could affect the merits of bi-wiring. What does NOT make sense to me, however, is why a manufacturer would implement such a design. More to the point, why would a speaker maker want his or her product to sound better one way or the other. Surely he or she knows that not everyone will bi-wire and that many customers don't even know what bi-wiring is.