Thread: Raising Sand (Robert Plant and Alison Krauss) - recording quality?

Default Raising Sand (Robert Plant and Alison Krauss) - recording quality?

Although I like the content of this album I feel it is badly recorded - kind of muddy and the bass seems to me unrealistic. But a lot of people rave about this albums recording quality -what do members who have this music think?

Steve

The album was produced by T. Bone Burnett. It has his signature sound, heavy on the bass.Around the time he produced "Raising Sand" he also produced Jakob Dylan's "Women and Country". It has the same bass heavy sound. Like you, I don't like the production, but I do like the songs. Badly recorded? Not in T. Bone Burnett's estimation.

Personally, I like the somewhat bass-heavy production: it imparts a somewhat "modern" flavour to what is fairly traditional folk/country/roots music, creating an interesting hybrid of old and new.

I like the album musically and think it would have done well no matter what, but I wouldn't be surprised if the production and sound contributed to its success.

Then again, I listen on P3ESRs, so I'm not likely to be overwhelmed by excessive bass. I suppose it could be a different story on an M40.1 or Super HL5.

I was introduced to this album e yrs back,when I had just started to listen to what is catogorised as audiophile music.
    Not having any. Expereince with either Alison Kruass or Robert Plant I would have to say I really enjoyed the music,but this was on extremely revealing headphones but sounded rubbish in my cars OEM audio system,that's when I realised there was something wrong.forget the bass heaviness there is also lack of resolution in the mid and high freq.but the music is very enjoyable,especialy Fortune Teller Song.

I really don't like this recording (but love the songs, if you know what I mean?); particularly the background hiss
    I bought the CD and thought that, surely, the vinyl would sound better. Unfortunately, the vinyl sounds the same.

I bought it on the understanding that it was 'audiophile' quality but it isn't. It's a bit thick and lacking resolution and sparkle but quite pleasant.

I enjoy a couple of the tracks, my favourite being Sister Rosetta, which is very atmospheric and lead me on to searching out more of the good Sister's music.

As I mentioned in my earlier post the cd has T. Bone Burnet's signature on its production. I saw Plant with Band Of Joy in April. Although they are not the band with whom he made the Raising Sand album, they played a couple of songs off it. Wonderful, simply wonderful!

I come to the same results as hifi_dave exept I would say it isnīt a "bit" thick.

It is extremely thick.
    I usually like warm an bass-heavy productions, they are simply more fun.
    But in my opinion itīs too much here.