Thread: HL5 or M40.1: need help

Default HL5 or M40.1: need help

Hi,

I am a newbie and very exited about this forum. After having read a lot of threats I am still not sure what to do.

I am in the lucky position to completely revamp my 25 years old equipment. After having heard a huge number of different speakers/amps etc. I am now going for Harbeth. I think, I donīt have to mention that these are the best speakers and they exactly do what I expect from a speaker. Last time I had the chance to compare HL5 to M40.1. Although the HL5 is a superb speaker, the sound of the M40.1s is still a little bit "closer to heaven". My preferred music is (I refer to iTunes categorization) alternative (like Archive, Madrugada), Indie (like Maserati), Jazz and a little bit of classic.

But I have a little dilemma. At the moment I have limited space in my flat (please see picture). I saw a lot of pictures from Harbeth M40.1 owners with smaller spaces, but all of them have moved the speakers far from the wall whatīs impossible in my home.

Now my question: Do you think the M 40.1s will be oversized and I should better go with the HL5? My first thought was to start with HL5 and upgrade to M40.1s when I have more space (maybe in 2 years). But then I also have to change the amp as well which might be a waste of money.

Thank you for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Your dealer and trying M401. at home ...

Your room is pretty much identical to my present demo room and the M40.1 works very well there. I can't get them more than 30 cm from the back wall but they sound great.

As a dealer, I have taken them to customer's houses for them to check how they perform with their equipment in their room and I would expect your dealer to do similar.

Try them at home and you will know for sure.

Default Bass output overloading the room?

Quote Originally Posted by Infobert View Post
    Hi,

I am a newbie and very exited about this forum. After having read a lot of threats I am still not sure what to do. ...

But I have a little dilemma. At the moment I have limited space in my flat (please see picture). I saw a lot of pictures from Harbeth M40.1 owners with smaller spaces, but all of them have moved the speakers far from the wall whatīs impossible in my home.

Now my question: Do you think the M 40.1s will be oversized and I should better go with the HL5? My first thought was to start with HL5 and upgrade to M40.1s when I have more space (maybe in 2 years). But then I also have to change the amp as well which might be a waste of money.

Thank you for your help.

The biggest possible problem could be that the bass produced by the speaker will overload the room. Have you thought about including some sort of EQ in your set? There are lots of product available which do work quite well. Some are automatic, but there are cheaper alternatives which can work just as good, or better, but are more time involving. This includes measuring the response with a calibrated microphone in combination with software (like REW, which is free). And manually adjusting the freq response through an equalizer (there are some very nice devices available which can be operated through a computer for very accurate adjustments).

Looking at your room layout, if the M40.1 will overload the room (you'd have to try it first), chances are the SHL5 will probably do that as well, as I would guess the problems will occur in the lower midbass (40-60Hz)

Default My flat is 5th floor ...

Thank you hifi_dave. I think my dealer would do the same. The only problem is that my flat is on the 5th floor and there is no elevator. So I wanted to check before we carry the heavy M40s up the stairs and have to realize that the bass is too heavy for this room.

{Moderator's comment: Also think about your neighbours!}

Default Threads or threats?

After having read a lot of threats I am still not sure what to do.
    I am really hoping that you mean "threads" not "threats"

{Moderator's comment: surely 'threads'. Believe it or not new members register here often explaining "Joined to discuss Harberth speakers". One of those words which once lodged in the brain incorrectly spelled just wont budge.}

Default My room 28m2 with M40.1

hi,

my room is 28qm and the 40.1 works really fine.
    (by the way: in germany, too).

best,
    delgesu

I would say that it is definitely worth the effort. I'm almost 100% sure they will be just fine but it's best to make sure.

If they are too much for the room, your dealer will be selling you a pair of SHL5's anyway. It won't be a wasted journey for him.
    Thank you hifi_dave. I think my dealer would do the same. The only problem is that my flat is on the 5th floor and there is no elevator. So I wanted to check before we carry the heavy M40s up the stairs and have to realize that the bass is too heavy for this room.

{Moderator's comment: Also think about your neighbours!}

Default My dealer will let me try both

Thanks to all. My dealer will bring both and leave them with me for a weekend to find out what fits best. And maybe Iīll find one or two neighbours helping us carrying the M40s up the stairs...

That's the way to do it.

Enjoy !!!

Default Thank you for the M40.1!

Itīs done. Finally I went for the M40.1s. I want to thank you all for your help and Alan for designing the most wonderful speakers in the world. Yesterday the whole equipment arrived and I spent nearly the whole night listening to music and discovering again the charm of the Harbeth song by song.

Default Congrats on your M40.1

Congrats on the new 40.1s. I have the Super 5s and love them. No doubt the 40.1s will blow you away. Please keep us posted.