Thread: What setup (source and amplification) for testing speaker design

Default What setup (source and amplification) for testing speaker design

Dear Alan,

I see in the 30min video of you listening and tweaking crossover in a room. It looks like a computer source you are using which allows you to switch music type quickly and easily. Will you be able to share your setup in source and amplification ? I am keen to know what amps do you use on a regular basis in your testing of your speakers.

EJ

Quote Originally Posted by engjoo View Post
    Dear Alan,

I see in the 30min video of you listening and tweaking crossover in a room. It looks like a computer source you are using which allows you to switch music type quickly and easily. Will you be able to share your setup in source and amplification ? I am keen to know what amps do you use on a regular basis in your testing of your speakers.

EJ
    Now that the (exhausting) relocation to The Old Barn (built around 1580) is complete, I can catch up on correspondence. Sorry for the delay.

The first point is that I'm not listening for pleasure - I'm using music as a test signal which will tease out certain latent characteristics in the drive units, the crossover or the cabinet or the room. What typically happens is that after listening for many minutes to a new design something in the music will catch my subconscious attention. Once this is raised to my conscious attention then it is very convenient to have an armoury of music close at hand (on a computer play-out system) which can be used to explore the issue that I am now aware of.

It's always surprised me that audiophile demonstrations can be single pieces or whole track or entire disc played in their entirety. I've always found that the first sips of wine gives a truer impression of the vintage than the second bottle. Surely human nature is such that with enough exposure to any stimuli senses are progressively dulled as I'm sure many have discovered the morning after the night before!

Again the electronics that I use it are neither new nor expensive. As I said, I'm listening through the electronics to the speakers and providing the electronics remain constant (and I have mentioned before the importance of periodic servicing by qualified engineers) then there is no need for me to invest in "audiophile" gear. However, if I was listening to music for recreation then an appropriate investment in equipment, a music library, listening room preparation and above all time and peace of mind would be well rewarded.

I would expect that I could continue designing loudspeakers on a desert island with rather modest equipment but might regret not having the ability to invest in equipment more appropriate to serious recreational listening. Does that answer your question?
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Pc > usb?

Alan, Are you running PC USB out -> USB in DAC -> Aamp - > Speakers?