Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HUG-HEALTH: Physical exercise - do you need it and do you get it?!

Thumbs up HUG-HEALTH: Physical exercise - do you need it and do you get it?!

It wasn't until my mid 40's that I turned to the gym - and never looked back. I realise that not everyone is willing or able to join a gym, and the subject of 'armchair exercise' was being discussed at mine last week.

I posed the question .... 'are there simple exercises that can be undertaken sitting listening to music?'. It seems that there are and Victoria, the manager of my gym, has an ongoing 'exercise a day' video blog and she's offered to make a few specific Harbeth-audiophile-exercise-whilst-you-listen clips if you're interested .....

Any takers?
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Exercise and dieting = better music

Sounds interesting Alan. Some 8 months ago i discovered i had high cholesterol & was overweight by about 12kg for my height. So i started my own programme of exercise & dieting.

Today, after 8 months, i've lost 11kg & cholesterol is now within healthy levels. With some loss of weight, not only is there a better feeling generally, but music from my SHL-5 seems better too.

Default Near field listening

Yes of course. but do consider the fact that very often, Harbeth speakers are used for near field listening! :-)

{Moderator's comment: I assume you mean that whatever exercise mustn't involve arms and legs flailing about!}

Default Count me in!

Very interesting Alan. I can't wait to watch how to do it.
    "Bath in Music"

Default Not for me, but interesting

I do exercise, but prefer to do so first, then relax and listen to music. I tend to exercise in silence. I'm not attracted to gyms except for the pool. Is there any resistance exercise possible at the gym that isn't at home, using your own weight?
    Ben from UK. Harbeth P3ESR owner.

Default A life changing health story

I was quite fit until I sustained several serious sports related injuries in my late 30's. Spent my 40's vacillating in weight between 250 and 280 (I'm 6 ft tall and never weighed over 200 until I was near 40) occasionally going lower in weight but only briefly and in an unhealthy way. I still ate mostly what I wanted though I tried to exercise 4 to 5 times per week I was often injured or felt sick. I now had diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and just about everything else.

Finally I came to a point where something had to give. I weighed 272 lbs again and was tired of being sick...so on 12/19/11 I said that I would try to go one year never missing a day of a good brisk exercise walk (4 1/2 mph) and work out with weights twice a week. I also committed to watching what I eat and completely give up ice cream (which is my favorite food). By give it up I mean never buy it for my home. It's now 9/7/11 and I still haven't missed a day and that includes July 1st of this year, the day after my dear daughter Mandy passed away. I now have 1000 days as a goal...that would be Christmas Eve 2012. My weight is under control and steady (I'm wearing smaller pants than I have since I was in my late 30's). No more high blood pressure or cholesterol, no diabetes...Doctor says it's the most amazing transformation he has ever seen. I told him that it is simple...less input and more output equals sustained weight loss and a better quality of life...simple equation really.

I'm now 51 and feel better than I have for more than 12 yrs, sure wish my daughter were here to share that.

Default Bravo

Bravo, Art. Way to go.
    Ben from UK. Harbeth P3ESR owner.

Default Count me in!

Count me in, this over 50 stuff is beginning to get annoying!

George

Default I'm not attracted to gyms

Art K, I applaud you and I offer you my condolances.

Like BasH I'm not attracted to gyms which has mainly to do with previous experiences where trainers were unable or unwilling to adjust to my poor health and low energy-level.
    My advise for long listening sessions is to get up and walk around when you've sat for more than 30 minutes, even when music continues to play (CD and esp. streaming make that possible of course) and to change position in the chair/on the sofa, esp. the lower back & legs to encourage bloodflow. Minute neck-exercises are possible but clear lateral movement of the head can of course interfere too much with listening. Perhaps excercise prior to a listening session would be easier but again it all depends on the number of hours spent in the sweetspot.

Post A good listening session as a reward for exercise

I like to do a lot of exercise like weights in the gym, football (soccer), badminton and brisk walking and I find that after all that exertion and hard work, it's a real treat to wind down with a well-deserved listening session.

The exercise makes your mood better and relaxes you, then when the music (via Harbeths) is added to the mix, you can enjoy it so much more knowing you've earned a rest.

For times like that I favour a nice Mozart piano concerto or some Modern Jazz!

Default A 2.5 hour bike ride and health

Just got back from a 2.5 hr bike ride and saw this thread. If I don't exercise my mood, sleep, productivity and general quality of life goes downhill and the whisky during listening sessions does not taste very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Art K View Post
    ... I now had diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and just about everything else. Finally I came to a point where something had to give. I weighed 272 lbs again and was tired of being sick......Doctor says it's the most amazing transformation he has ever seen. I told him that it is simple...less input and more output equals sustained weight loss and a better quality of life...simple equation really.

I'm now 51 and feel better than I have for more than 12 yrs, sure wish my daughter were here to share that.
    First, on behalf of the membership may I express our condolences at your loss which mere words cannot adequately do. Second, may I congratulate you on having the willpower and sensibility to address the input/output equation so successfully.

There are a few unfortunate people who have a metabolism which predisposed them to tremendous weight gain. Most people (like me, and you) are at the fulcrum between enjoying food and the consequences of weight gain. It doesn't take much to tip the balance and pile on the pounds.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Post Condolences for Art K

Art K...

I second what Alan said and offer you my personal condolences, I know how painful it is to lose someone so close to you. I lost my mum on 9th April this year - she was 59.

Well done for keeping positive enough to carry on making excellent progress in your own health. I wish you all the best.

Thank you, Alan. I appreciate the kind words.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the weight situation.

Default Life change

i also had some problems with my weight after stop smoking.

then i changed my nutrition, no more chocolate, no fast food, no chips etc.
    bought a bicycle + hometrainer.

result: minus 15 kilogramms in 1 year + balanced cholesterol + other measurements.

best,
    delgesu
    Harbeth M40.1-Naim NAC52-Supercap-NAP 135-CDS2-XPS

Default My healthy hand-made British bike ...

I was given the hard word by my doctor some years ago and reduced my weight from 118kg to 95kg (my height is 1.90m)

Dieting, yes, but also excercise. I returned to cycling and still do about 25km a day, aged 62.

I treated myself to a classic British Bike hand made for me

See

https://picasaweb.google.com/labarum/BrianSAudax02

Made by

http://www.robinmathercycles.co.uk/

If you want to see more classic British bikes, look here

http://www.pashley.co.uk/

and

http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/

The firms above are, like Harbeth, examples of quality British Engineering

Default Exercising whilst you listen ...

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    ...I posed the question .... 'are there simple exercises that can be undertaken sitting listening to music?'...
    Mr. Bob Anderson, the father of "stretching", wrote a book called "Stretching" including many different exercices, even ones that you can do when you are sitting in an airplane, when you're in front of a computer, another while listening to television. Each of these situations are pretty similar to a listening session.

Since years, this book is a reference for me. I suggest it to everyone with an interest in healthy life.

Sébastien

Default Indoor rowing - greatexercise

To cut a long story short, I have found that indoor rowing at home on a waterrower (see http://www.waterrower.com) to be a great form of exercise. They are beautifully made and crafted machines and I was fortunate to find one in good condition second hand for about £400. It has been a good investment. I have a fragile back and have picked up sports related injuries along the way but didn't want to give up pursuing cardiovascular fitness and strength conditioning. The waterrower seems to be working for me and fits into a busy schedule in a way sometimes difficult with the gym. Also, as an added benefit it is very unobtrusive in the home environment.

Quote Originally Posted by tozen View Post
    Also, as an added benefit it is very unobtrusive in the home environment.
    You're kidding right? That thing would take up half of the square footage in my home. Look s well built though.

Default Smooth rowing action

No am not kidding. Take a closer look - it sits on it's end when not in use and its footprint is no bigger than a chair's. It is easy to roll into use and then just tilt it back on it's end when not in use. Brilliant design, beautifully made, and very very smooth rowing action.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast