Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you found your final system?

Post Have you found your final system?

A lot of people on the HUG (including me) talk about Harbeth speakers being their 'final' loudspeakers. We've found that there is no need to look any further after discovering Alan's creations. But I wonder how many here have discovered their 'final' amplifiers?

Have you stopped worrying about amplifiers (and sources?) and just settled-down for the longhaul with a system that suits you perfectly?

This year I've been changing my system quite a lot, but I think I've finally reached a stopping point after moving back to Nagra PLP/VPA amplifiers again. I know they sound great, are built well and there is nothing to be gained by changing them for something new that comes along.

So, have you discovered your final system and if so, what does it consist of?

Well, You never can be sure offcourse But..

Naim Nait XS
    Naim CD5XS
    Naim Faltcap XS
    Naim Dac

Together with my much beloved PS3esr
    Last edited by fred40; 09-09-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling error

Audio Research SP-10 pre-amp
    Theta DSPro
    Wadia i170
    iPod/iPhone
    Oracle MK II
    North Audio monoblocks (tubes)
    Wires to bind them all
    Compact 7ES3
    Might add Harbeth PS3esr to my second system, or spend the money on my camera equipment, which gives me much pleasure.

George

My wife and I would like to put Harbeth C7ES3's in our main living space. The P3's work wonderfully in my own personal space but the main living area is too large for them. So the dream at this point is to get a pair of C7's and then the work will be done...that will be a long time from now unfortunately.

Default Yes, I found mine..

Yes. I found my "final" setups:

C7 (bought 2004) + LFD Mistral LE (bought 2009) + Marants CD6000KI (was exchanged my electrocompaniet 4.5 pre amp with this) setup in a room in Malaysia.

SHL5 (bought 2007) + LFD Zero LE mk3 (bought 2008) + Marantz CD17mkIII (bought 2003) setup in a living hall in Singapore.

I am very happy with both and I am grateful.

Cheers

PS: Hopefully one day I can have my King aka M40.1 sing in my hall together with LFD Le mk3 music sure sound wonderfully right.
    Last edited by keithwwk; 13-09-2011 at 04:39 AM. Reason: adding my "dream" King
    "Bath in Music"

yes!

harbeth 40.1 rosewood
    naim nac 52
    naim supercap
    naim nap 135 (2*)
    naim CDSII
    naim XPS
    naim naca5

best,
    delgesu
    Harbeth M40.1-Naim NAC52-Supercap-NAP 135-CDS2-XPS

Yes...and no!

To clarify, my main system is now a Quad 99/909 driven Harbeth C7 system, with a Rega P5 turntable and a Marantz KI pearl lite SACD player. I doubt that will change short of a hardware failure, from here on. The Quad and the Rega are both 2004/05 bought/made.

No, because I have added a Sonos layer of icing on that cake, connected to the digital input on the Marantz. I think I am pretty close to sound that is good as that from the SACD player, but I can't say for sure, so there may be some tweaking to be done there. But my sense is that I am pretty close to done there as well. Internet radio is another dimension of pleasure added to the home audio experience, I have to say.

Smile Who knows ;-) but YES, if asking today

My System is really great and fully aligned with WAF and home limitation (don't have a dedicated room so compromise is... Compromise

My system today :
    Naim Supernait + Hicap + Powerline + Naca5
    Naim Cd5x + Hiline
    SB3 + Synology DS 209+ (NAS)
    Avid Diva II Turntable + Naim Stageline
    Brand new pair of Harbeth c7se3

Cheers

Phil

Post Harbeths in Switzerland?!

Quote Originally Posted by Hififan View Post
    My System is really great and fully aligned with WAF and home limitation (don't have a dedicated room so compromise is... Compromise

My system today :
    Naim Supernait + Hicap + Powerline + Naca5
    Naim Cd5x + Hiline
    SB3 + Synology DS 209+ (NAS)
    Avid Diva II Turntable + Naim Stageline
    Brand new pair of Harbeth c7se3

Cheers

Phil
    Naim is popular, although the whispering lure of additonal power supply upgrades is always there!

I see you live in Switzerland. I adore the Swiss brand Nagra, but I did not know Harbeth distributed there.

Currently:

Oppo-95 universal player
    Roksan Caspian M2 integrated amp
    Harbeth P3ESR

Plan is to work on adding a USB DAC or Streamer DAC as my source.

Still getting the hang of P3ESR. While it has thrilled me many hours and at times even surprised me, there are still times I crave for more dynamics and detail.

Well, I'm not sure if it's my last, but I don't know what more I could want:

Harbeth Compact 7ES-3
    McIntosh C22 60th Preamp
    McIntosh MC275 Mk V Amp
    Wavelength Brick V3 DAC
    REL T-5 Subwoofer
    Apple Mac Mini
    Zu Audio cabling

Quote Originally Posted by GregD View Post
    Naim is popular, although the whispering lure of additonal power supply upgrades is always there!

I see you live in Switzerland. I adore the Swiss brand Nagra, but I did not know Harbeth distributed there.
    Hir GregD

Yep, Nagra is very good but lot to expensive for me ;-)

Harbeth is actually not distributed in Switzerland (really don't know why !!) so had to buy them in Germany.

Cherio

Phil

While my current SHL-5 & LFD LE III is serving me well now, very well in fact, there's still a tiny voice in the background telling me that an M40.1 with LFD NCSE or PA2M/LS3 pre/power combo might really be the end of the road to musical nirvana. For me that is. Whatever it is, the SHL-5 with the LE III is already providing me with lashings & lashings of musical pleasure that i don't get when listening to setups costing many many times more. And that for me is more than enough.

Post How my system is coming on

Quote Originally Posted by Hififan View Post
    Hir GregD

Yep, Nagra is very good but lot to expensive for me ;-)

Harbeth is actually not distributed in Switzerland (really don't know why !!) so had to buy them in Germany.

Cherio

Phil
    I think Nagra and Harbeth is a great combination. I have the Nagra PLP valve preamp with phonostage and h/phone amp, and soon will be buying a pair of Nagra VPA 845 triode PP valve monoblocks from a friend. I used to have their CDC CD player too.

I like the idea of using Nagra and Harbeth together because of their impeccable professional audio heritage. The quality of both brands is the pinnacle of audio equipment for me. I also have a dCS SACD player, who also have their roots in professional studio equipment. Just need some Van Damme cable to complete the pro/broadcast feel of the system! (Van Damme cables are much cheaper than audiophile witchcraft wires as a bonus).

I recently bought an SME Model 10 turntable and am waiting for an SME V tonearm to be built for me at SME's factory in Steyning, East Sussex. As for a cartridge, well in keeping with the theme maybe I should go for an EMT cart? To start with I'll probably get something more affordable, before taking the plunge with a luxury MC.

Once this system is finished, I don't intend to buy anymore hi-fi equipment again!

Seems that people have some very nice systems here that really don't need changing. I hope you can all stave off those nagging thoughts that lead to 'upgrading'.

As many of us : yes and no.

I've got the "change bug" I'm afraid.
    Current set is:

SHL5 (no planned change )
    Audionet ART G2 CD player
    VPI Scout (could be jeopardized, may buy again a Stabi S)
    Leben CS 600 (may buy a SS integrated but the Leben is less than 6 months)

SHL5 are definitively keepers for me

I'm not sure I want to say anything is final, with the exception of my Monitor 30's-they should work well in any living space that could become my "final destination". As for amplifiers, I think I'm done collecting, but have quite a few around, valve and solid state. All sound just fine, thank you!

Red face Happy Bunny

YES as there's no more cash

Seriously though, I listen for long periods to my system with vinyl and CD and radio/tv /DVD inputs and NEVER get ear fatigue. I put this down to the Harbeth M30s with their unfussy, uncoloured almost characterless sound. Vive le radial!
    The amplification although powerful is also characterless and the built-in DAC is as good as it gets.

M30s
    Bryston BP16 pre with MM & DAC options
    Bryston 10B crossover
    Bryston 4BSST power amp.
    B&W ASW750 subs
    Arcam alpha 5 cd as transport
    Thorens TD160mk 2 with AT95E cart.
    TOSlink from PC and DVD
    Sp-diff from CD and HD satellite RXCVR
    Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Just listening here for awhile now......C7ES3, LFD mk4, Rega P5 w/Clearaudio Aurum Wood and TTPSU, Musical Surroundings Phonomena II, Arcam BDP100, Apple TV2, Macbook Pro, Benchmark DAC1 Pre, Presonus Firestudio, LFD Hybrid Ribbon for speakers, Kimber Hero interconnects, Nitty Gritty. Grateful for this system and ears to hear.

Default Final System Reached

Quote Originally Posted by GregD View Post
    So, have you discovered your final system and if so, what does it consist of?
    Good thread. Yes, my final system has been reached and was due to purchase of Harbeth loudspeakers.

Toshiba DVD player (handles CD and SACD too) - 25, new from UK high street
    el cheapo interconnect
    Rogers A75 Series 2 amplifier (1980s solid state class AB amp - free, pinched from my father)
    Chord Rumour 4 cable (bought before I knew Flymo cable would work almost as well)
    Harbeth P3 ES2 on Something Solid open frame steel stands

Used to use an expensive Arcam player, sold to raise cash for imminent New Zealand trip. Couldn't bring myself to part with the Harbeth's because a) nothing else will do and b) I'll not be able to replace them. They'll be donated to my Dad as penance for having nicked his amp.
    Ben from UK. Harbeth P3ESR owner.

I hope so! But, as mentioned before, the "change bug" is a powerful thing.

7Es-3 (Tiger Ebony)
    Audio Research SP-17
    Manley Mahi Mahi
    Linn LP12 Akito/Adikt
    Bel Canto Design DAC 3 VBS, CD2
    Apple MacBook Air
    Revox A-77 Mark IV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast