Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you found your final system?

Yes. Vintage Quad and Harbeth.

Currently:
    M40.1 Rosewood
    Magnum Dynalabs MD307
    Sugden Masterclass CD

Very happy....

Default SME synergy with Harbeth

Quote Originally Posted by GregD View Post
    ...I recently bought an SME Model 10 turntable and am waiting for an SME V tonearm to be built for me at SME's factory in Steyning, East Sussex. As for a cartridge, well in keeping with the theme maybe I should go for an EMT cart? To start with I'll probably get something more affordable, before taking the plunge with a luxury MC...
    Hi Greg,

I also consider to buy a SME 10 in the next year and I'd like to get specific feed-back from you to know about the synergy between SME and Harbeth. SME users often describe the product to be analytical and others say that they are natural. Confusing... So, I'd like to have your opinion on this one.

Plus, have you consider SME's 20/3?

Sébastien

Default Manley's Mahi-Mani with Harbeth

Quote Originally Posted by Loop4fun View Post
    ...Manley Mahi Mahi...
    A friend of mine just bought a pair of Manley Snapper. Even if I have this company in strong respect, the Snapper dissapointed me a bit. I found that they sound way to "big" in his sound system. He has a pair of Verity Audio Rienzi. For example, the double-bass on a jazz recording sound way more bigger than what it is in real.

Anyway, I'm curious to know how's the Mahi's sounding with your Harbeth. Some observations are welcomed.

Sébastien

Final Destination in Hifi.. stop fooling yourself..

Hi Sebastien,

The double bass sounds way too big not becos of the amps but largely becos of the Rienzis. I have heard a couple of Manley amps & even a monoblock with the old Harbeth HL-5 & even tried the Stingray with my SHL-5 in a home trial. No they don't have bloated bass at all. So far most of the Verity spks (except for the Tamino) i heard have exaggerated bass, esp when the bass woofer is facing backwards.

Post Sebastien: Picking-up the SME V later this week

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
    Hi Greg,

I also consider to buy a SME 10 in the next year and I'd like to get specific feed-back from you to know about the synergy between SME and Harbeth. SME users often describe the product to be analytical and others say that they are natural. Confusing... So, I'd like to have your opinion on this one.

Plus, have you consider SME's 20/3?

Sébastien
    I will be going down to my dealer to pick-up the new SME V arm later this week and to buy a Benz Micro MC cartridge too. I'll let you know my impressions on the overall sound a few days after everything's settled-in. I'll be using my Nagra PLP phono-stage/preamp and Nagra VPA valve monoblocks with my Harbeth P3ESR speakers.

I can't forsee any synergy issues with SME/Harbeth myself. Both aim for natural, accurate reproduction with no fluff added. I think the cartridge would make more difference actually. Add in the Nagra pre/power and my whole system is really geared towards what I would call 'invitingly natural sound'.

I had a chance to get an SME 30/2a at an excellent price a few months ago, but I decided that the Model 10 is all I really need. The 20/3 is certainly a great turntable though...

Like Harbeth, the SME turntables could easily outlive their owners!

Default Classic timeless components.

SME, Nagra and Harbeth. Wonderful combination in so many ways!

Default Rienzi's fault

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CK View Post
    Hi Sebastien,

The double bass sounds way too big not becos of the amps but largely becos of the Rienzis. I have heard a couple of Manley amps & even a monoblock with the old Harbeth HL-5 & even tried the Stingray with my SHL-5 in a home trial. No they don't have bloated bass at all. So far most of the Verity spks (except for the Tamino) i heard have exaggerated bass, esp when the bass woofer is facing backwards.
    Well, I'm glad to hear that because I was a little aware of the sound from the Manley but. like I understand, we are much talking of the sound from the Rienzi. Thanks for your feed-back.

What about the Stingray with SHL5?

Sébastien

Final sound .. .I doubt it.. final sound for now.. very close !!
    Harbeth M30's on Skylan stands (latest versions)
    Blue Circle BC303-DWBB-KQ-LOC true balanced statement pre-amp.. Gilberts work of art
    Blue Circle BC 206-NST solid state power amp, it started life as a stock 206, but was recently reworked by removing the tube input stage, and replacing with Gilberts latest thinking on a pre-driver stage..
    Marantz SA-11S2 SACD/CD player.. perhaps not the last word in slam and dynamics, but always a joy to listen to.
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102"T" FM tuner.. lovely..
    All strapped together with Transparent Ultra MM balanced interconnects and speaker cables. Sorry Alan.. listening to this stuff will rot yer brain.. it just makes music.
    A custom Blue Circle phono stage is in the works, to merge my secondary phono rig into the main system. It's time to do some consolidation.

Well, I'm glad to hear that because I was a little aware of the sound from the Manley but. like I understand, we are much talking of the sound from the Rienzi. Thanks for your feed-back.

What about the Stingray with SHL5?

Sébastien
    Well, the Stingray didn't do it for me at all. Don't know if the set i took home wasn't properly calibrated or what but i found the Stingray that i tried to have a very tipped up midrange which made the sound shouty & uncomfortable. Much like as though if an amp has bass, mid & treble controls & the mid was turned up to the max. The bass was very tight & snappy but rather lean. I find my current LFD LE III to be quite a fair bit better than the Stingray. Much better balanced & with the feeling that everything just sounds 'right'. YMMV though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CK View Post
    Well, the Stingray didn't do it for me at all. Don't know if the set i took home wasn't properly calibrated or what but i found the Stingray that i tried to have a very tipped up midrange which made the sound shouty & uncomfortable. Much like as though if an amp has bass, mid & treble controls & the mid was turned up to the max. The bass was very tight & snappy but rather lean. I find my current LFD LE III to be quite a fair bit better than the Stingray. Much better balanced & with the feeling that everything just sounds 'right'. YMMV though.
    Hi Gan CK,

Thanks for your feed-back.

On my side, maybe one day I'll ask my friend who lives at 1 km from my house to bring his Snappers and give it a try with my SHL5.

Sébastien

Hi Gan CK,

Thanks for your feed-back.

On my side, maybe one day I'll ask my friend who lives at 1 km from my house to bring his Snappers and give it a try with my SHL5.

Sébastien
    Hi Sebastien,

That's a good idea. Do let us know the outcome after the home trial. Thks.

I'am happy with my currentlysystem:

SHL5 ( Dream for 40.1 )
    Wadia 381
    Krell Evolution 402 Power amplifier
    Aesthetic calypso Pre (tube)

Happy listening all time!
    Regards,

I have been using Harbeth for the last 10 years
    I started with a second hand SHL-5 and then moved to M40
    Later when my finances went better i took a brand new M40.1
    and at the end a beautiful P3ESR

My best sound is my final one
    Sugden Masterclass SPA4 & LA4
    Nottingham Analoque Space 294 & Benz S Class
    Nakamichi Dragon
    Vintage Luxman WZ-30 (Check this out on the internet...)
    Aqvox Phono amplifier 2ci MKii in balanced mode

Very unlikely I'll want to change this SHL5 system:

PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport
    Bel Canto DAC3 (upgraded to 3.5 level) with virtual battery supply
    Krell S-275

BUT I will add an input device (bridge) for a remote streaming system when there is one on the market that supports high-resolution music and is simple, reliable and cost-effective.

Default On the hamster wheel

The audiophile will never stop tinkering, the music lover might.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12