Thread: Positioning eqpt. between the speakers?

Default Positioning eqpt. between the speakers?

Hi folks,
    this is my first posting on the Harbeth forum.

i have got a question about speaker setup.
    in the naim forum i read these days that it is better to place
    the electronics not between the loudspeakers. they prefer to place
    the electronics beside for getting a better sound.

is here anyone who have done experiments in this way?

is it better to place the electronics not between the speaker
    or is it just a illusion?

cheers,
    chris

Default Take care with positioning eqpt. between the speakers

In my experience, it is best not to place any large object between the speakers, be it a rack of equipment or large TV. This invariably messes up the imagery unless it is positioned way behind the speakers.

I have experienced this many times whilst installing systems in customer's homes and it is often the only layout possible. In these cases, the sound can be improved by draping a blanket or duvet over the equipment rack. Not pretty I know but it does improve the sound considerably.

Default Experiments

Hi hifi_dave,
    thanks for your post.

if the sound improvement is traceable i have to start some experiments at home. maybe it could be difficult to have really nothing between the speakers - either there is a bookcase or hifi rack.

so i just have to buy (or better first borrow) a longer speaker cable and will test it.

cheers,
    chris

Default Low rack is OK

It does have an influence, but as long as the equipment rack is low, it will not have an enormous impact.

Default Try a blanket

Before you do anything drastic, just try covering the rack with a blanket or duvet to gauge the effect. It is reflections off the rack and equipment which confuse the imagery.

Pulling the speakers well forward of the rack or pushing the rack back will also help.

Default I will try..

hi hifi_dave and garmtz,

i will try how the sound change with small changes.

my rack is not that high.. only integratedt amp, cd-player and turntable on top.. so it will be interesting to hear if sound will change.

and the proposal with the blanket will be my first step.

cheers,
    chris

Default Equipment racks and microphony (shout at tubes, hear it through speakers)

I agree with hifi dave. I've experienced a lot of these issues with my current speakers (waiting for my new C7's to arrive). I think if you have a low rack and keep the speakers in front of the rack, that helps out. You have to be careful of valve amps too. With vibration and a tube that's slightly microphonic, the tube will pick up noise from the speakers and the vibration of your rack off the floor and reproduce unwanted sound out of the speakers. A microphonic tube works like a microhone where you could shout at the tube and hear it through the speakers.

I've draped a light weight small wool throw over my television and it made quite the difference. I have bass traps in some inside corners. I have a lot books on shelves, blankets and pillows on top of chairs and sofa etc to help dampen the room.

I've read that there's a reflection point on the side walls between your listening chair and the speakers. The way you find this point is to sit in your listening chair and have someone run a mirror along the side walls from the speakers towards you. You look at the mirror until you can see the speaker in the mirror. Once you see the speaker, this is the point of reflection and where you would place a dampening panel. I'm fortunate that one of these points for me is my sofa, and the other is a window where I have curtains.